Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Longtime Linux Developer Looks To Distance Himself From The Kernel Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    The US Constitution is a Liberal Secular Document. If any fellow American thinks it's a bastion of Conservatism, they're a moron.
    Was. Also the republican party _was_ a left wing liberal party. Things change, and the US constitution has been standing still making the cult of it, conservative.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      The main thing i wanted to use was the Linux Foundation Loader which he wrote, but he never fixed it. I told him, it does not work with UEFI 2.0 systems, it seemed to require UEFI 2.3 and there was no timeout if somebody could not press a key (due to fastboot). As this never happened Kanotix has still no Secure Boot feature - but at least you can disable Secure Boot on all systems up to now...
      Is there any particular reason you didn't just fix it yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Who honestly didn't see this coming? I sure did, in fact I'm surprised it took so long. Good riddence, we don't need more people thinking their way is the only way.
        I'm curious as to your opinion on Linus rejecting code based on personal preference.

Comment

Two developers left, can we get a report of this in the news of all major TV broadcasting companies? Maybe in frontapages of major newspapers too, so that enough ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME attention is given to said developers?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            The main thing i wanted to use was the Linux Foundation Loader which he wrote, but he never fixed it. I told him, it does not work with UEFI 2.0 systems, it seemed to require UEFI 2.3 and there was no timeout if somebody could not press a key (due to fastboot). As this never happened Kanotix has still no Secure Boot feature - but at least you can disable Secure Boot on all systems up to now...
            I didn't write the Linux Foundation Loader.

Comment

Originally posted by sharivegas View Post
              Good riddance. I find it abhorrent that they want to force a culture change because they're not capable of handling the heat themselves.

I'm not a upstream kernel developer for a reason: Because that culture needs a special kind of hardiness. And I just don't have it [yet]. So I keep myself out of it. But I'm not going to decry the culture, because it was there before I was, and I have no right to force it to acquiesce to me.
              I think this point of view is pretty scary. "I don't want to participate because people are extremly mean and can't express themselves in any other way than outright bashing, so I have to earn my seat there and be good enough to not get bashed."

Why not have an inclusive mindset with positive feedback and constructive critique instead of being assholes? No other workplace would allow calling each other cunts, fucktards and idiots (at least not without it being a joke among a very small group of people who are in on it), why should it be a part of the Linux Kernel atmosphere?

I understand that they can't treat every person that wants to participate as they had training wheels and teach them everything from scratch, but there must be something inbetween? A grown-up language when communicating and a fact-centric approach that is inclusive and helps new contributors, not one that scares them away.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Even this is not so correct. Hitler was a copy cat of bolshevism. It means left.
                Politic is a circle, if you go extreme right, you get extreme left. It is the same point.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  The US Constitution is a Liberal Secular Document. If any fellow American thinks it's a bastion of Conservatism, they're a moron.
                  A country with only 2 parties is one step close to a dictature

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                    Oh please. Cry me a river.
                    I could not care less. While I do agree that the kernel developers are sadist a-holes at times, no one EVER said that technical discussions with with skilled people is going to be like holding hands and singing kumbaya near a camp fire and everything is going to resonating in uniform harmony.
                    This is pure and utter bullshit. People have opinions. Sometimes people get hurt from not getting their will through. Sometimes people do and suggest stupid things.
                    Nonsense. If you can't treat the people you work with using professional courtesy even while you think that they're completely wrong, you need to go back to kindergarten. We have intense technical debates at work without tossing insults at each other. Patches get rejected. Commits get reverted. Good work gets done. No insults of any kind required.

Read the comments by Shannon on the kernel mailing list. She is totally fine with harsh criticism of code and says that's a mandatory part of making an operating system kernel. She's just opposed to personal attacks, insults, and threats. That is a reasonable position.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Politic is a circle, if you go extreme right, you get extreme left. It is the same point.
                      Nope that's a Dunning-Kruegerism by people who don't actually understand politics and want to oversimplify what's going on.

Comment

Working...
                      X