Steam Linux Usage Drops Below 1%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    I wonder why GTAV isn't available on Linux?
    No idea - development time probably started without plans to port it to Linux (ie it was very early days of Steam on Linux) and it's difficult to change directions once you're long way into development.

Could also be game engine simply isn't optimized for porting - GTA V is made on the RAGE engine which have no Linux port (came out in 2006).

Games like GTAV - they are new today, but one have to remember that the development of them actually started a few years ago and the game engine might be older.

With new game engines such as Unigine, Unreal, CryENGINE and of course Source 2 and so on now being made to work on Linux it will be *easier* for future titles to work on Linux. Most of the problem with porting to Linux is simply the engine not being made with linux in mind and having to be redeveloped to add Linux - sometime it's easier to start with a fresh new engine. Hopefully this will translate into bigger growth in availability of AAA titles. id Tech 5 isn't available for Linux but their next version - id Tech 6 is OpenGL based and as a result should be easier to made work on Linux.

Plus with consoles/PC sharing more of a common base (x86 etc) and engines being more portable, it's going to be easier for games to work on various platforms. Just my thoughts really but I think the future for Linux gaming is good.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      I wonder why GTAV isn't available on Linux?
      I guess because there is not tradition for it as nothing from GTA series is available for Linux

"It's not profitable enough" is traditional excuse for big titles to not come to Linux
      Last edited by dungeon; 05 May 2015, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        I guess because there is not tradition for it as nothing from GTA series is available for Linux

"It's not profitable enough" is traditional excuse for big titles to not come to Linux
        More like it's Blizzard's excuse - "we have shitload of money yo and we don't need your pitty Linux".

They don't need us. They don't SteamOS, Steam or any other platform for that matter. GTAV - for obvious reasons - are incredibly huge. It was incredibly huge outside Windows platform. I bet they sold multiples of copies on all four consoles than on Windows alone. If there would be some fanatic that would believe in SteamOS - sure. But games like GTAV or any triple A franchises don't need us.

Comment

Well it is pretty much normal bussiness excuse, i remember this petition:

Where there was no enough voters to justify porting, let alone to earn something out of it

Comment

maybe if they dont developed it so that it gets hard to port it. they do that. id soft did also not prioritise to have a day 1 linux client.

Comment

The lack of supported games and horribly bad performance on Linux forced me to kick it out on the street and install Windows 8.1 (have been runnings flawlessly ever since) won't bother with Linux until 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakl?dder View Post
                The lack of supported games and horribly bad performance on Linux forced me to kick it out on the street and install Windows 8.1 (have been runnings flawlessly ever since) won't bother with Linux until 2020.
                Thank you for trying to troll. Now you can kick yourself out of Phoronix forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                  Thank you for trying to troll. Now you can kick yourself out of Phoronix forum.
                  Where did that come from? Is that your reply to all who dears to criticize Linux? I have been running Ubuntu back and forth since high school and it's been average at best, but when it comes to gaming, it's not on pair nor even close to Windows in terms of performance, trying to claim otherwise would be a lie and you know it (that's why i say "2020") but if you were to set the standards for the Linux community as a whole, I rather not be a part of it, end of story.

Comment

Where did that come from? Is that your reply to all who dears to criticize Linux? I have been running Ubuntu back and forth since high school and it's been average at best, but when it comes to gaming, it's not on pair nor even close to Windows in terms of performance, trying to claim otherwise would be a lie and you know it (that's why i say "2020") but if you were to set the standards for the Linux community as a whole, I rather not be a part of it, end of story.
                    Windows is better for players and has more games, this may be what you wanna prove but you do not need, everyone here knows it...
                    This thread is about Linux % on Steam, to talk about this situation and share ideas.

Your post was just a classical troll :
                    ...horribly bad performance on Linux forced me to kick it out on the street
                    Watching more benchmarks on Phoronix may prove yourself that you are wrong. (btw there are better ways to improve you soccer skills)

...won't bother with Linux until 2020.
                    As you are on a Linux forum... why do you bother with it???

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      Heck, almost as many people play games on a beta version of Windows 10 than on all of Linux combined.
                      I would wager significantly more, like exponential numbers more.

Comment

Working...
                      X