X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyber Killer
    replied
    Originally posted by Illasera View Post
    Steam being a 32 bit client does not impact the games (softwares) it is launching.
    Their .ELF/.so that was made by the compiler that the game developers used to create the binaries dictates what architecture they are using,
    and the kernel loader is Responsible to decipher them, It got nothing to do with the steam client.

tl;dr, some games are 64-bits native under steam, for linux.
    True, yet there are way too few 64bit games. This comes from the developers windows-mentality, where they compile a 32bit binary and forget about everything cause it runs ok. They don't bother learning why 64bit binaries are way more important on our platform of choice :-(.

Leave a comment:

• elbuglione
    replied
    Originally posted by mike4 View Post
    You little troll, still spamming this forum...

Personally I'm waiting for Project Cars.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by mike4 View Post

you are welcome little sectarian

Leave a comment:

• mike4
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    well for uefi owners motherboards and for gaming usage resources more and more demanding.

imho: native opengl games should be played in native opengl mode and native directx games should be played in native directX mode without any wrapper so to improve performance, if linux get this possibility it should increase gaming users.

Last edited by mike4; 07 May 2015, 12:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by Illasera View Post
    well for uefi owners motherboards and for gaming usage resources more and more demanding.

imho: native opengl games should be played in native opengl mode and native directx games should be played in native directX mode without any wrapper so to improve performance, if linux get this possibility it should increase gaming users.
    Last edited by Azrael5; 07 May 2015, 12:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tuxee
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    I tried downloading steam 2 minutes ago, I'm getting an 403 trying to access http://repo.steampowered.com/steam/a...eam_latest.deb I just can't stop laughing.... hAHAHAHAHAHaaaaaaa!!

On a more serious note, I'm surprised that it did not drop more with GTA V. You also have games promising Linux support when it's being funded/pre-ordered (Wicher3/StarCitizen to name 2 big ones) and then they just don't release the Linux version on time or it does not work as good as the windows version or they put it in a wine wrapper or they just never release it LOL. I've got 500+ games in my steam lib under Windows 7 guest that uses my discrete GPU directly with KVM. It seems only Valve and some indie games are supporting Linux the way it should be supported. Thanks for your efforts! (please fix the download link )
    Everything's relative. A meager two years ago I was buying practically all Linux games that came out (a) to show support and (b) to have anything to play. Nowadays I can't find enough time to play both Metro Redux titles or Bioshock Infinite or Witcher II. I have re-played the Half-Life 2 titles and finished Portal 2, I am currently "stuck" with War Thunder. Right now there are hundreds of titles on Steam I would have bought hands down two years ago, which I now ignore because they are not my preferred genre, not "nice" enough, too expensive.
    Yes there are quite a few AAA titles missing, but compared to gaming on Linux two years ago this has become another era.

Leave a comment:

• Tuxee
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    @Tuxee you attacked my post on page 5 why exactly? I didn't say anything that would be considered offensive; unless you feel my percentage was too generous. 11% could hardly be considered offensive unless you felt threatened and one could only feel threatened if they felt I was attacking their OS -- which could only be, in this case, Windows.
    Dear Mike,

that's it: Your percentage is far too generous. That's all. The other thing I said was just my general (and I think valid) explanation, why Linux distros have such a low market share - they don't come pre-installed. I finally stated what I observe on a daily basis: Most users hardly give a shit, what OS they are running. And they definitely can't be bothered to install "another" OS.

I said nothing fanatical. How could suggesting Linux users help people switch be offensive? Your post was like a Worm crawling into the center of an Ant mound in order to disrupt the good intentions of the Community.
    What have you been smoking, if I may ask.

I think you have a little too much Microsoft in your diet, Sir.
    I seriously doubt that - I have been working exclusively on Linux distros (mainly Ubuntus) for seven years now.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    I tried downloading steam 2 minutes ago, I'm getting an 403 trying to access http://repo.steampowered.com/steam/a...eam_latest.deb I just can't stop laughing.... hAHAHAHAHAHaaaaaaa!!

On a more serious note, I'm surprised that it did not drop more with GTA V. You also have games promising Linux support when it's being funded/pre-ordered (Wicher3/StarCitizen to name 2 big ones) and then they just don't release the Linux version on time or it does not work as good as the windows version or they put it in a wine wrapper or they just never release it LOL. I've got 500+ games in my steam lib under Windows 7 guest that uses my discrete GPU directly with KVM. It seems only Valve and some indie games are supporting Linux the way it should be supported. Thanks for your efforts! (please fix the download link )

Leave a comment:

• kgonzales
    replied
    Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
    Useful tool like what? xbox or steamOS? Useful for what? Play gangster games on steamOS without even the ability to run a calculator so you can count how many people you've killed with your thompson? I say steam and gaming is not the only way to improve linux. And yes I prefer linux to have a smaller user base than filling it with ignorant and selfish scum with a bad childhood. Linux shall be an elite OS and I'm an elitist.
    Linux is not an elite OS... it's just another tool. It's very good at some things and not as good at some things.

You are not an elitist... you are also just another tool. Anyone who calls themselves an elitist isn't elite.

Leave a comment:

• Illasera
    replied
    Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
    Linux shall be an elite OS and I'm an elitist.
    Linux is a Kernel, not an OS, its what provides the "JUICE" (resources) for the OS to run

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    I assume gaming should upgrade to 64bit development.
    Steam being a 32 bit client does not impact the games (softwares) it is launching.
    Their .ELF/.so that was made by the compiler that the game developers used to create the binaries dictates what architecture they are using,
    and the kernel loader is Responsible to decipher them, It got nothing to do with the steam client.

Last edited by Illasera; 06 May 2015, 02:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X