Valve Is Giving Out Their Steam Linux Games To Mesa Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by directhex View Post
    Time. Programmes like this require administration by someone close to the source (i.e. someone who can weed out legit requests from fake). Daniel's the best-placed person at Collabora to do it, but he's been excessively busy.
    Ah, thanks for the explanation... I didn't know this was done through a third party. I thought this was a Valve thing.
    Oh, well, better late than never

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
      So I take it on windows it only reports a controller when one is connected?

I want to play Oddworld: New and Tasty but it freezes when I starting it with the wireless reciever plugged in: http://steamcommunity.com/app/314660...3567802376030/

I recall Valve did some work on better support for the xbox 360 controller. I recall one thing was fixing the constantly flashin light but not sure if any other change was made, but even this still isn't in the 3.19 kernel.
      Yes. In 99% of cases, especially with wireless devices that can turn off... we simply don't know the correct packet to send to the wireless device to test whether the controller is on or not. We've known how to do this with the Xbox 360 Wireless controller for years now (which I think I'm the first to figure out actually). It's frustrating that providing that information hasn't actually improved the current driver at all. I actually made a small blog post almost two years ago here: https://computerquip.wordpress.com/2...e-better-good/

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
        Ah, thanks for the explanation... I didn't know this was done through a third party. I thought this was a Valve thing.
        Oh, well, better late than never
        Collabora are a Valve contractor. Valve donate the keys, Collabora donate the admin time.

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
          So I take it on windows it only reports a controller when one is connected?

I want to play Oddworld: New and Tasty but it freezes when I starting it with the wireless reciever plugged in: http://steamcommunity.com/app/314660...3567802376030/

I recall Valve did some work on better support for the xbox 360 controller. I recall one thing was fixing the constantly flashin light but not sure if any other change was made, but even this still isn't in the 3.19 kernel.

Yep. I did a patch myself to fix the blinking led issue, but valve's patch is better in almost every way (it doesn't correct a typo I found, IIRC. It can be found here : https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...oystick/xpad.c
          This patch fixes blinking leds for wireless controllers, and dynamically creates and destroys /dev/eventX nodes upon joystick connexion.
          These modules are simple to compile and upgrade (I am on mobile right now, but I can provide you a simple makefile to do so), but it needs to be done at every kernel update.
          Not sure why valve's driver didn't get merged.

In my opinion, joysticks should go in libinput, but libinput guys explicitely stated that it was not going to happen unless a game developer asks for it. Since I am not, I can't ask them to do so, but I think this would be the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            First off it's spelled "Physics". Second off Valve uses a derivative of Havok not Physx for the physics engine of the source engine, so no secondary card needed.
            Ok thanks for spelling. However ph=f (and i=y) so why to use 2 letters to say one "f" sound? Better to write fisic instead of physic (it's the same and better in logic).

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              Ok thanks for spelling. However ph=f (and i=y) so why to use 2 letters to say one "f" sound? Better to write fisic instead of physic (it's the same and better in logic).
              Sure, if you?re happy that no-one can understand you, you can do that.

Comment

As long as the thread is already derailed, can I recommend that anyone interested in efficient spelling take a look at "Meihem In Ce Klasrum" by Dolton Edwards:

Test signature

Comment

Y and I does not sound the same at all. PH and F does in a few accents, but not in all. Non-native speakers usually find it difficult to hear the difference though. The same with TH and D.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                    Sure, if you?re happy that no-one can understand you, you can do that.
                    understands understands, stay easy; also english language has to evolve... [one time "u" is red as "a" another time as "iu" another time as "u"; one time "e" is red as "i" another time as "e"; example: re-enable=rienabl]... english should be written in fonetics way: so one sound one vocal (a,e,i,o,u=a,e,i,o,u) or one single syllable (only native the English would not understand because they are mentally rigid). enough=enaf (more simple to understand). English is a language for schizophrenics.

Comment

understands understands, stay easy; also english language has to evolve... [one time "u" is red as "a" another time as "iu" another time as "u"; one time "e" is red as "i" another time as "e"; example: re-enable=rienabl]... english should be written in fonetics way: so one sound one vocal (a,e,i,o,u=a,e,i,o,u) or one single syllable (only native the English would not understand because they are mentally rigid). enough=enaf (more simple to understand). English is a language for schizophrenics.
                      Or maybe we should realize that words are not just phonetic utterances but made up of roots, suffixes, and prefixes, that actually mean things. They're not just arbitrary, and attempts to phoneticize the language will make things harder, not easier as a result. Yes english is difficult and may seem at times to be contradictory, however that's because it's a mix of German, Latin, Greek, Norman (which is distinct from proper French), and Celtic, because England couldn't stop getting invaded until the Normans finally stepped in and cleaned up their act, and the rules of those languages are sometimes at odds with each other.

Comment

Working...
                      X