Uselessd: A Stripped Down Version Of Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomegun View Post
    I guess "serious" is not the best term to use. What I meant is that there are currently no actively maintained initsystems around apart from systemd (at least not aimed at the generic distro market). I guess OpenRC is the last one with any sort of activity, but even they had problems with lack of contributions last I heard.

IM(NS)HO, only Upstart came close to solving the sort of problems that needed solving. And the others were also not really contenders due to being essentially unmaintained (I think the importence of active maintenance is often underestimated, even if a piece of software is perfect today, the world will be a different place tomorrow).
    Again, I'll mention runit because out of all the ones not normally mentioned, it does have an active maintainer who also maintains it and other packages for Debian. There also exists a live-config-runit package (albeit only in oldstable), which only further points to it being a serious and maintained init system, at least previously and from the perspective of Debian, and as such is part of a group even OpenRC wasn't. It certainly doesn't do anything that falls under the umbrella of solving new problems (merely solving old ones better), so what I mean to say isn't something silly like it should've been the basis of systemd or that everyone should be using it, but rather that it has unfairly been neglected by anyone who isn't looking reaaally hard to find another init system (and is at least a much better choice than falling back to sysvinit).

All the sd-*.h headers are things that in principle could become public. sd-bus.h og sd-event.h are planned to become public once kdbus has landed in the kernel, the other things may become public one day, but it is still up for discussion.

My guess is that it is possible to make everything work without systemd as PID1, even though this is not an explicit aim/promise. Feel free to ping me...
    That's good to hear. I'm definitely interested in trying and I intend to contact you soon about it. I won't be able to do anything serious until the weekend though. Hopefully it won't be too long and painful of a journey.

Comment

Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post
      Again, I'll mention runit because out of all the ones not normally mentioned, it does have an active maintainer
      That's interesting! I am embarrased to say that I failed to find this when I tried about a year ago. I did find the official webpage, a mailinglist (where no development discussion seemed to have taken place for at least a few years) and some tarballs (the newest several years old), so I assumed the project was dead. I had another look now, and now there is a very recent tarball there, and it appears the mailinglist archive I was looking at was just not up-to-date, and I found another one with some activity. I still could not find the most interesting thingh though: do you happen to have a link to their source repository?

That's good to hear. I'm definitely interested in trying and I intend to contact you soon about it. I won't be able to do anything serious until the weekend though. Hopefully it won't be too long and painful of a journey.
      Should be interesting

Comment

That's interesting! I am embarrased to say that I failed to find this when I tried about a year ago. I did find the official webpage, a mailinglist (where no development discussion seemed to have taken place for at least a few years) and some tarballs (the newest several years old), so I assumed the project was dead. I had another look now, and now there is a very recent tarball there, and it appears the mailinglist archive I was looking at was just not up-to-date, and I found another one with some activity. I still could not find the most interesting thingh though: do you happen to have a link to their source repository?
        I couldn't manage to find any references to the source repository, but here it is to clone from anyway: http://smarden.org/git/runit.git

Comment

It's also worth noting that a modified version of runit is a part of busybox.

Comment

I couldn't manage to find any references to the source repository, but here it is to clone from anyway: http://smarden.org/git/runit.git
            Thanks! Perfect. So it seems not much happened since 2009, which explains why I didn't find aynthing last year Anyway, it is a nice little project, very much in the spirit of sysvinit.

Comment

Should be interesting
              Phoronix:
              - came for the trolls,
              - stayed for the interesting discussion between developers.

Comment

It always makes me a bit of a sad panda when I venture upon opensource projects with no publicly readable revision management. I do have bumped to some projects where you're expected to get latest released version and write patches on top of that

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                  Phoronix:
                  - came for the trolls,
                  - stayed for the interesting discussion between developers.
                  Hah !! For me it was the other way round
                  Test signature

Comment

Good to see that journald was dropped from uselessd. journald is a steaming pile of cr@p. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/artic...tering-systemd

Comment

Originally posted by wardhan View Post
                      atlast somebody instead of whining & doing nothing, STARTED something..
                      let's see how the community will react, respond & contribute.
                      Does continuing to use openRC count as "starting something"? Some of us didn't need to start something because a perfectly good option is already there. I really should give eudev a shot, and get rid of udev on this machine. I like the short dependency chains I have on this machine, it makes it much easier to maintain.

Comment

Working...
                      X