X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus on Nvidia

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Here is Linus's opinion on Nvidia:

Aalto Talk with Linus Torvalds, hosted by Aalto Center for Entrepreneurship (ACE) in Otaniemi on June 14, 2012. Linus was interviewed by Will Cardwell and fo...

Well vista was only sold from 30.1.2007 to 22.10.2009 on oem systems - a very short time - and you can expect then the cpu used is pretty slow compared to current ones. That was the time for AMD Phenom and Intel Core2 systems. Maybe he should get a new one if he can afford it With the exception of an intel netbook i do not use such old systems

Comment

Best sell all your pcs and buy those.

Comment

I guess the obvious question is "why does anyone care what old hardware I run Vista on ?". My Linux box has an AMD quad-core and an HD 5670, isn't that the one that matters ?
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          not in your case because you prefer to give your linux computer away to your brother!!!!
          Q, give it up. You lose again. That was another old system, since replaced.
          Test signature

Comment

No, I've had that system for a while. CPU is an original Phenom so you should be able to figure out when I bought it. Waiting for Trinity and FM2 mobos to show up in the local ships, then it gets replaced with Trinity/SI.

Haven't had power/heat problems although I realize that is a bit system-dependent.

I don't know why you're obsessing with the per-MB cost of the cellular modem -- there's a per-month charge even if I don't use it, and the data charges only kick in after a few GB (which was more than I had the patience for with the dial-up line anyways).
            Test signature

Comment

You FAIL again and this time AMD pwnd you hard because: the Phenom1 "xx00" cpus had TLB bug crash your system or you install a bios update and then you turn your system into slow train. but who needs Linux CPU speed anyway?
              if you don't use the system then you don't need speed. Right!
              Or you run Linux where you don't need the BIOS update.

i know AMD the SI. APU will not run on a AM2 Motherboard because you need AM3 motherboard instead! LOL

because of this I. Wile! should better wait and not buy a AM2 system waiting for AM3+

EDIT: LOL i mean FM3
              No, you mean FM2, which is what I said. FM1 is Llano IIRC.

right its magic only AMD haters get this problem LOL
              ???

High costs "kick in" if you are using Linux but if you are not using linux then the GB limit will not hit you LOL
              Are you suggesting that the carrier has different cost structures depending on the OS I use ? That may be the case in Germany (although I'm not sure how they would reliably identify OS) but it's not the case in Canada.

also you don't have a connection because you need to climb a tree to get a signal LOL
              That was when I was at a cottage up north. Cell modem / router on a 50' extension cord, hauled up a tree to get reception. Not needed at home.

Q, information comes with associated context (time, location, etc..). Once you separate the information from its context it ceases to be a "fact" unless you re-validate it each time. If you build theories on out-of-context "facts" you are going to end up with poor quality results.
              Test signature

Comment

Wow, this troll derailed the thread after exact one post. Why is he still here and allowed to post his personal attacks?
                Why should anybody care which system Bridgman runs?

Just a sidenote: I use 1 Debian machine, one Salix machine and 3 Slackware machines. One of the Slackware machines, my main rig also used for gaming, runs dual-boot with Vista, on a Phenom II X6 with Radeon HD6870. Before I put the HD6870 in that machine I used a Geforce GTX260 and I really regret not to have bought Nvidia again. Just because AMD support for Linux at this point sucks.
                Am I now a bad person just because of that?

Comment

bridgman, have I not told you to ignore him a long time ago.

@OT: Linus reaction was excellent. Also, at 1:00:50, there is a nVidia employee talking.

Comment

Not gonna download a 1.6gig video just to see 20secs where he talks about the mentioned parts and shows the middle finger. Anybody have a cut video with only the relevant parts?

Comment

Working...
                    X