Linus on Nvidia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Not gonna download a 1.6gig video just to see 20secs where he talks about the mentioned parts and shows the middle finger. Anybody have a cut video with only the relevant parts?
    Ha ha, poor Flash-less guy. Your own fault.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Ha ha, poor Flash-less guy. Your own fault.
      i am flashless also and it works fine with FF13

Comment

@bridgman

amd must be poisened somehow. You have to WAIT WAIT WAIT. you can not buy fm2 cpus, no system with pci-e 3.0 support (but the hd 7 series can support it in non rebranded variants). Best buy an intel base system to run amd gfx at fullspeed (on win)

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          hey man i do the same in a little kb of data but maybe you dit not read my post so for you again:

Linus Torvalds@Fuck you NVIDIA!
          I did, and I've seen that picture elsewhere too. What I'm lacking is exactly what did he say.

Comment

I did, and I've seen that picture elsewhere too. What I'm lacking is exactly what did he say.
            Firefox can play most of youtube content without flash in webm/vp8, if you opt-in for html5 testing on youtube (google youtube html5).

If you can?t, tell me which format, what piece, whats maximum size total and where to upload it to?

Comment

Hey Qaridarium, I go with much stuff and I do agree that amd and some stuff that bridgeman said here is not satisfieing. But amd is a big company and it is not bridgeman who desided that linux opensource support is there but its not very important to amd.

But at least they have opensource support, if you dont care about opensource or not, go with nvidia or look how you get used to the amd blob. But most linux users care even if they dont know, all hate when drivers does not work out of the box as example, thats only solvable through good opensource support because blobs are incompatible with the gpl linux kernel.

So yes I know some stuff sucks and I find it legit to whine about it here and there, but why do you insult him, that will not help to fix that issues.

So ok maybe you can 1-2 times (not 1000 times) do this in other threads, but this thread is about how nvidia even sucks way more, on linux opensource drivers. So I find this really intersting, because maybe some nvidia desition guys think about it. and would nvidia give opensoruce support we would have conpetition of who has the better opensource drivers its easy who ever of this company is better at the time I buy my hardware I buy it. And if the get their driver better they sell maybe 100.000 gpus more or less. And also intel does not really compete, they can have the best drivers ever written in univere but their igps come not even close in speed and even some features and in price aspect to amd ones. So amd can make here very less and even sell their shit because all competitors are even worse.

nvidia could be kind of an alternative if they would choose their attitude and open up their drivers. But its basicly not going to happen holliwood bought up all hardware and software vendors, he only can choose who fucks us up less.

Comment

Qaridarium, stfu.

Nobody cares about your vendetta against ATI except you.

You have nothing interesting to say and choose to say it in a terrible way.

Comment

Not gonna download a 1.6gig video just to see 20secs where he talks about the mentioned parts and shows the middle finger. Anybody have a cut video with only the relevant parts?
                  there you go curaga, you can get the full 1080p section of 2minutes 43 seconds in context here, its streamable at
                  1.5 Mbps for older PCs too over wireless LAN.
                  http://www.2shared.com/complete/rKHk...-Torvalds.html
                  Last edited by popper; 17 June 2012, 12:31 PM.

Comment

@Qaridarium

Basically i do not get why you use amd hardware at all. When i read about your HoN benchmarks which are so slow that not even a casual gamer would not like to play it then something is completely weird. You want raw speed and opensource drivers with lots of features. Certainly a handfull of paid amd devs can not deliver that in a short timeframe. Maybe look at

to compare. Of course onboard solutions are never that fast as dedicated chips - but why on earth do you want to use amd chips to play demanding games with oss drivers? Just because you get a picture or why? If performance matters - and thats usually the case for demanding games - you have to use a performance driver. You dont need those when you only play some simple flash games. Your usecase is completely the opposite i would call the oss drivers are made for. There are certainly reasons to attack some support issues with amd gfx chips like dropping binary driver support while still selling the hardware. Or supporting new xservers/kernels very late and incomplete. You do not really seem to miss the video accelleration support as you promote to use software decoding with a fast cpu. This is certainly an issue for ppl who want to build small systems which should not consume too much while decoding because that means you have to use a huge cooling solution and thats the opposite as you want. When amd has got issues opening some specs of the uvd parts forget em. You are not forced to use amd hardware. Amd will not die because of a few ppl buying different hardware. It sounds like when YOU stop supporting/buying the hardware the whole enterprise will go down. Some think they have to buy amd hardware to support german workers at the factory - well they only produced a part of the cpus, absolutely never the dedicated gfx chips as those have been outsourced to tsmc since ages.

I would suggest to sell your hardware which does not meet your expectations and get new ones. If you like fully oss systems buy em, but dont rant about the speed you get from it. For me the nvidia/amd/intel oss drivers are just for simple tasks, enough for playing very easy games, browse the net, write some letters. Why should a hardcore gamer like you use it? That's pure nonsense.

Comment

Anybody have a cut video with only the relevant parts?
                      In a talk held at Aalto University in Helsinki Finland, Linus Torvalds addressed a question from one of the audience members regarding issues they had with a...

Comment

Working...
                      X