Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Framework Raises $18M In New Funding, More Collaborations Coming With Cooler Master

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    From the blog:

This is a company in serious financial trouble that is bleeding cash.

They still consider themselves a startup, they might even be pre-revenue.

I would not invest a dime in these people, I don't think there is any demand for their product, or more accurately, enough of a demand to actually build a business around.

The only thing that lends credibility to this is Cooler Master participating but just be some pocket change that they invest for tax purposes.

Everything else about this says belly up inside of one year, with investors left holding the bag.

Definition of accredited investor:

https://www.sec.gov/education/capita...dited-investor
    how exactly do you draw financial conclusions from the above again, asophisticles>

Never mind I don't care about your troll reply...

Comment

From the blog:

Are you an English learner, or do you seriously not know the difference between "revenue" and "profit?" They certainly have revenue. Or are they handing out laptops for free.

Comment

I want framework to succeed. Even more than that, I want them to offer a touchpad with 3 physical buttons. I refuse to use one of these newage buttonless touchpads. I'm forced to use one on my work laptop, and I hate it every single day. I won't willingly buy a laptop that has a buttonless touchpad.

Just now, I checked their parts marketplace, and they don't even have an option with buttons!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          sophisticles Keep in mind, Framework already has products on the market. They're listening to criticisms, they're hiring more people, and I don't get the impression they're falling into serious debt. As far as I understand, they're just trying to expand at this point. That's the sign of healthy growth, especially if they're attracting many investors.
          Yeah. Agree to that, and I'm writing this on a Framework 16 (amazing piece of hardware. love it!).
          Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by eagleoneraptor View Post
            It'd be interesting for them to implement a water cooling solution similar to the XMG/Tuxedo laptops, I saw that working IRL and works surprisingly well (it'd work well with better quality radiator and radiator coolers, and better integration with the laptop), the laptop works really quiet on high loads, more if you hide the radiator somewhere.
            I don't know. I have to admit that the current liquid metal in the FW16 works pretty good (as I can confirm comparing to my other and work laptops).
            Even if using liquid cooling, the excessive heat needs to go somewhere, and with the available space, I bet that won't make a difference. Fans will be needed, and the heat transfer process will be slightly slower.
            Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              I want framework to succeed. Even more than that, I want them to offer a touchpad with 3 physical buttons. I refuse to use one of these newage buttonless touchpads. I'm forced to use one on my work laptop, and I hate it every single day. I won't willingly buy a laptop that has a buttonless touchpad.

Just now, I checked their parts marketplace, and they don't even have an option with buttons!
              With their modular design, I think it is totally possible to create a traditional touchpad with buttons as an optional part, if enough people voice their interest. I remember the oldest notebook computer I used 20 years ago only got 2 buttons. So I will count 3 buttons touchpad a special demand.

Comment

I can confirm, they gave me my laptop for free, saying "we don't need you to pay, we'll just fund it from our VC money"

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
                  With their modular design, I think it is totally possible to create a traditional touchpad with buttons as an optional part, if enough people voice their interest.
                  Believe me: I do understand the potential. However, for a part that's literally a deal-breaker, they do not currently provide that option, and that's after years of being in operation. So, it's clearly not a priority for them and I will not just buy one of their laptops, hoping they will one day offer such a component. If they want to get me in the door, I must be able to get a touchpad with 3 physical buttons, whether built-in or as an extra.

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
                  ​I remember the oldest notebook computer I used 20 years ago only got 2 buttons. So I will count 3 buttons touchpad a special demand.
                  Given their current touchpads have zero buttons, I don't see why they'd have a 2-button version and not just go straight to 3. My Thinkpad has 3 buttons and the Dell laptops I previously had for work did also. It's not a unicorn feature.

Comment

It may get be a bit of a push uphill, but could you source your own touchpad? Obviously you would want to do that before you committed to a purchase, but considering Frameworks' main feature, customisation, it should be as difficult to do compared to what we deal with nowadays.

The touchpad connection interface I've never investigated either, so could be differant on each laptop or motherboard, or do they adhere to a set of standards?
                    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                      It may get be a bit of a push uphill, but could you source your own touchpad?
                      I'm not a hardware hacker, so it's well enough outside the realm of my expertise for such a thing to be too big an ordeal for me. If it involves more than just plugging parts together, forget it.
                      Last edited by coder; 25 April 2024, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X