Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Framework Raises $18M In New Funding, More Collaborations Coming With Cooler Master

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    sophisticles Keep in mind, Framework already has products on the market. They're listening to criticisms, they're hiring more people, and I don't get the impression they're falling into serious debt. As far as I understand, they're just trying to expand at this point. That's the sign of healthy growth, especially if they're attracting many investors.
    Read their blog, they are not making money:

We’ve just raised an $18M Series A round to pull in the future of consumer electronics, with Spark Capital as our lead investor. We couldn’t have done it without you. We can’t wait to share what’s coming in 2022 and the years ahead.

In 2022 they raised 18 million dollars:

We’re using this $18M to fund development of upcoming product categories and the long roadmap of new modules and geographic expansion for the Framework Laptop.
    Now they raised another 18 million dollars:

Today we’re announcing $18M in new funding from an incredible set of investors, with a $17M Series A-1 round led by Spark Capital, with Buckley Ventures, Anzu Partners, Cooler Master, and Pathbreaker Ventures participating. We started just over four years ago with a vision to remake consumer electronics to respect people and the planet.
    The have been in business only 4 years and they have already raised 36 million dollars, and i haven't found how much initial capital they started with.

Look at their investors, it's basically a few entities that are playing the lottery, hoping it takes off.

By the way, this is Series A-1 stock, meaning that they basically sold a piece of the company to these investors:

Mark this discussion, these guys will fold up tent and head for the hills after they file for Chapter 7.

Comment

Originally posted by guiaiolfi View Post
      sophisticles must be a CEO of a very successful company we don't know about. Because he is all over the place giving advice and criticism of how all companies should do business.
      I'm a man that while working on my 2 college degrees took most of my electives in business and economics.

I also worked as a manager for a large medical lab, with a budget well in the millions and dozens of direct reports.

On top of that I used to own my own business for 10 years that was incredibly successful until the housing market crash right around the end of 2006.

So i do know a bit about red flags that indicate a business is in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

How many is that in actual numbers?

Reminds me of that episode of The Office when Pam becomes a sales person and her husband gives her a prize or something similar, the other sales people complain. So he tells them that she doubled her sales in the past month and that's why she's getting it.

One of the sales people asks sarcastically "what, from 2 to 4?"

And it cuts to Pam looking at the camera and saying "Yup".

Telling me they sold they sold out of 6 months' capacity in one day is telling me nothing.

How much capacity do they have and what was the profit on that revenue?
        Where are you seeing that they aren't making money? Do you mean profit? Do you mean Net Income? They are, at the least, earning Revenue. Where do you think the money goes when a customer purchases a Framework computer / component?

Also, here's a direct quote from what you linked:
        "We don’t need investor funding to keep the lights on; we instead use it to accelerate bringing upgradeability, customization, and repair to more of consumer electronics. We’re not ready to share what the next products are just yet, but this funding unlocks categories even more ambitious than our first one. We have a detailed plan in place for the next two years and napkin sketch ideas going out a couple of decades."

It seems to confirm they want to grow right now, instead of waiting down the line. This is where investors come in. If they weren't making money (Margin / Net Income), I doubt they'd say the above.
        Last edited by Mitch; 23 April 2024, 02:08 PM.

Comment

I don't have that number. But might you think that maybe, just maybe, the investors would've noticed at some point and said something if the company they dumped millions of dollars into wasn't actually making anything?

Comment

The repeated investor rounds from this company really does seem to indicate they are yet another VC cash furnace.

Comment

Nice, whish them all the best. My sister has a 13 inch AMD Framework laptop that is amazing!

Comment

How many is that in actual numbers?

Reminds me of that episode of The Office when Pam becomes a sales person and her husband gives her a prize or something similar, the other sales people complain. So he tells them that she doubled her sales in the past month and that's why she's getting it.

One of the sales people asks sarcastically "what, from 2 to 4?"

And it cuts to Pam looking at the camera and saying "Yup".

Telling me they sold they sold out of 6 months' capacity in one day is telling me nothing.

So you don't know anything either? Stop making stuff up then.

Comment

It'd be interesting for them to implement a water cooling solution similar to the XMG/Tuxedo laptops, I saw that working IRL and works surprisingly well (it'd work well with better quality radiator and radiator coolers, and better integration with the laptop), the laptop works really quiet on high loads, more if you hide the radiator somewhere.

But yeah, niche of the niche.

Comment

Still no coreboot and edk II? I'll stick with starlabs or system76 then.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                      The repeated investor rounds from this company really does seem to indicate they are yet another VC cash furnace.
                      Exactly this. More importantly, the fact that 18 million in 2022 lasted them 2 years, now they raised another 18 million and they mention a 2 year plan means they have a cash burn of 9 million a year.

This is a company in the red and eventually these investors will be exactly where all other investors in these silicon valley startups ended up.

Comment

Working...
                      X