Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hans Reiser Apologies For Social Mistakes, Comments On ReiserFS Deprecation From Prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

I used reiserfs back in the day because of the journaling. But the only thing I really remember these days about my usage was that the tooling for recovering from errors wasn't very effective.
    General Linux problem. Recovering filesystems on linux is a mess. Super bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by uid313 View Post

We might need another file system.
      ZFS is under the CDDL license and cannot be merged into the mainline Linux kernel.
      Btrfs seems to have a never ending stream of bugs and issues.
      bcachefs has terrible performance as shown by the recent Phoronix benchmarks.

According to the letter written by Hans, reiser4 brings something unique to the table, it is built with a plugin architecture which allows features to be implemented using plugins which drastically cuts down the time and effort required to implement a new feature. Sounds like a great test bed to try out new ideas and proof-of-concepts.
      The problem with plugin systems is they need a stable ABI with predictable behavior. But there is no such thing for filesystem drivers in linux. Sure you can make a filesystem driver with it's own built in plugin ABI, but it'll exhibit unpredictable behavior. Wait stating, context switching and pipeline stalls. (which is most probably exactly whats happening with bcachefs right now.)
      Last edited by duby229; 18 February 2024, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X