Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hans Reiser Apologies For Social Mistakes, Comments On ReiserFS Deprecation From Prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

Fine, but that's NOT a proportional response. Given the scale of massive parallel murders all over the planet, you'd have to do MUCH more than talking.
    And talking on mastodon is worth even less.
    Mastodon is favorite den of CIA spooks as they get to control visibility, since they can use their server.
    Everyone else gets to be just an useful fool in that scenario.
    I'm curious then fellow citizen Brane215, what is it that you are doing? I'm not being facetious, I'm truly curious as you're so critical of others.

"The flaw of a great leader is that when they die their movement too often dies with them.

To lead is not a goal. To spread a common and compassionate truth is.

Until listeners no longer follow an ideology, and are simply being human."
    SearingTruth

Comment

• It's also important to point out that even if you mean well or think you are justified within some context, you are wrong to advocate for any form of prison labor, whether you want the labor as a form of punishment for the truly wicked or whether you want those who are not irredeemable to simply have the opportunity to contribute or even just have something intelligent to do for their own sake.

The problem with prison labor of course is that its very existence in any form and for any reason creates the perverse incentive to over-criminalize the behavior of the populace, to over-penalize those charged and found guilty, to create and fill as many prisons as possible, and to keep people in those prisons as long as possible once they get there.

Comment

• Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
        It's also important to point out that even if you mean well or think you are justified within some context, you are wrong to advocate for any form of prison labor, whether you want the labor as a form of punishment for the truly wicked or whether you want those who are not irredeemable to simply have the opportunity to contribute or even just have something intelligent to do for their own sake.

The problem with prison labor of course is that its very existence in any form and for any reason creates the perverse incentive to over-criminalize the behavior of the populace, to over-penalize those charged and found guilty, to create and fill as many prisons as possible, and to keep people in those prisons as long as possible once they get there.
        I agree fellow citizen quaz0r.

There should be zero corporate prison labor, and zero corporate running or governance of prisons in any form. Nor should the state utilize prison labor to lessen the cost of making license plates, etc.

I believe that prisoners should work 8 hours a day just as any normal citizen, but that work should be pertinent to the prison itself. For example kitchen duty, yard work, cleaning, etc. I also believe that education, personal psychological counseling, and group counseling should be freely available.

And while I believe violent criminals and murderers should be imprisoned for life, my intent is not to punish them, it is to protect society from them.

But for others our goal should be to give them the skills required so that when they're released they're not once again thrown into desperate situations with no hope of escape.

And even those imprisoned for life for the most heinous of crimes should be treated humanely and allowed to further their personal development as much as they wish.

My most fervent belief is that if we do not lead by example then we cannot lead.

And forwarding compassion and humanity, under all circumstances, is the most critical example we can display.

"Desperation.

And desperate crimes.

Always together."
        SearingTruth

Comment

• Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
          It's also important to point out that even if you mean well or think you are justified within some context, you are wrong to advocate for any form of prison labor, whether you want the labor as a form of punishment for the truly wicked or whether you want those who are not irredeemable to simply have the opportunity to contribute or even just have something intelligent to do for their own sake.

Isn't the point of prison to: 1 - rehabilitate the criminal and 2 - facilitate the repayment of the criminal's "debt" to society.

The prison system nowadays is anything but that. Especially in the US...

They imprison people over minor stuff, and put them in an environment they immediately have to join a prison faction to survive. So by the time people go out they are already more affiliated with criminal circles than before they got in.

So instead of rehabilitation we have exacerbation of crime. And of course, when you are running for profit prisons, that's what you want - more clientele. Prisons where criminals are not forced to repay their debt to society, but are merely being collected so they can be kept there on tax payer money and insane profit margins.

This is not a system that reduces crime, but a system that profits on crime and thus does little to prevent it and everything to promote it.

Forced labor - absolutely 100% YES. A criminal should work enough to cover their personal incarceration expenses PLUS repaying damages inflicted onto society. Sentencing should not expire until the criminal has paid in full. Criminals should not continue incurring a toll on society while in prison, even less so - to the profits of a bunch that, lets' face it, is worse than the criminals they keep, and on a whole new level.

If I were in prison, I'd personally prefer to keep as busy as I can than anything else I could possibly be doing in there.
          Last edited by ddriver; 21 January 2024, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by muncrief View Post

If you go to searingtruth.com and read "A Future of the Brave" you'll see that I've been speaking out against global injustice all my life, and forwarded a plan to alleviate it long ago fellow citizen Brane215

You can also find me on Mastodon as @[email protected].

"So long as our globe is morally imbalanced there will always be those fleeing immorality to morality.

And I do not speak of morality in ideological or religious terms, just basic human ones.

The rights to food, shelter, safety, healthcare, freedom of speech and association, and the election and petition of government.

In fact history clearly records that none of us can callously feast in a garden peered in upon by the suffering and starving and dying.

Instead there will ultimately be justice and compassion for all, or none."
            SearingTruth​
            More than half of those rights are simply made up. While freedom of speech and association, and the election and petition of government, are part of both constitutions (**) and international proclamations such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the rest are simply not there. Nope, nothing really gives one the right to food, shelter, or healthcare. Safety is debatable because it's not entirely clear what that means.

(**) Really, it's only the US constitution (of the developed world) and UDHR that give freedom of speech. In the EU constitution the freedom of speech is weasel worded in a way that's reminiscent of the Chinese Communist constitution.

Comment

• Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
              We should learn from Hans Reisers mistake.
              Don't get a mailorder bride, folks.
              Just don't get married folks. Not worth it.

Comment

• Murder is bad.

With that out of the way: After reading the entire letter (and as someone who is just learning about this guy 18 years after the fact), I feel like the title of the article has some harmful implications. In the letter itself, he explicitly states that he murdered his wife, and the "social mistakes" have to do more with general conduct when interacting with other developers; being needlessly hostile at times and having it bite him in the ass.

The title and contents of the article imply that he doesn't apologize for the murder separately from his social mistakes - lumping them together, - and I feel like that's a mischaracterization of what is actually included in the letter. It seems he is doing well in rehab, does not try to dodge any blame for what happened, and I'm glad there are more reformative opportunities available for cases like this. I haven't done enough reading so don't take this at face value - but this seems to be a better long term solution.

Thanks to Michael for bringing this to Phoronix readers' attention, but the article contents feel a little bit biased in its portrayal.

Comment

• Forummers doing mental olympics to make him look innocent

Bro he killed his wife, you just don't kill anyone

Comment

• I think we shoud all get over the fact that he hilled this wife, it's unrelated to ReiserFS.

Comment

• Originally posted by FelixB View Post
                      I think we shoud all get over the fact that he hilled this wife, it's unrelated to ReiserFS.
                      I don't think we should ever get over that.
                      He's a murderer.
                      That's inexcusable.
                      End of discussion.

I personally would be happy to never see him have anything to do with the Linux community ever again.
                      Why the hell would we want to be associated with a wife killer?

And as for his filesystem, it is of no use to us at all anyway.

It's not currently in widespread use, so we don't have to worry about support for it, it's extremely unlikely to ever undergo a name change (can't have a file system named after a murderer, forget that), and unlikely to ever have a resurgence in development action (which would be necessary before it'd be even worth using), and even if it did, we don't need it (we have better modern alternatives anyway).

Close the book on the whole thing, both he and his file system belong in a bin.

Comment

Working...
                      X