Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hans Reiser Apologies For Social Mistakes, Comments On ReiserFS Deprecation From Prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hans Reiser Apologies For Social Mistakes, Comments On ReiserFS Deprecation From Prison

Phoronix: Hans Reiser Apologies For Social Mistakes, Comments On ReiserFS Deprecation From Prison

ReiserFS file-system creator Hans Reiser who is currently remains imprisoned in California for murdering his wife in 2006 has commented on the Linux kernel mailing list by way of a letter exchange from prison...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Food for the trolls.

Comment

Time to read lengthy novels about how ReiserFS was a perfect filesystem and too bad nobody picked up its development. Especially from people who never used it and never wrote any code.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
        Time to read lengthy novellas about how ReiserFS was a perfect filesystem and too bad nobody picked up its development. Especially from people who never used it and never wrote any code.
        No, it wasn't.

This one is absolutely worth reading if you wanna learn about ReiserFS history more and the man who Hans has seemingly become.

Comment

All good, water under the bridge and all that. Guess we can all go back to using WifeKillerFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
            All good, water under the bridge and all that. Guess we can all go back to using WifeKillerFS.
            The punishment/prison system exists precisely so that we can legally and morally forgive people for their crimes. Otherwise we may as well return to the death penalty for almost everything including petty theft. You don't want that, do you?

And the police exists precisely so that we can keep an eye on people's behavior once they've served their time.

Maybe today it's the time not to talk about his crime but his work and contributions to Linux.

Comment

Ignoring the creator, is there really any benefit to using ReiserFS nowadays? I never really understood what made it so special in the first place. I imagine it isn't well-optimized for SSDs.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Ignoring the creator, is there really any benefit to using ReiserFS nowadays? I never really understood what made it so special in the first place. I imagine it isn't well-optimized for SSDs.
                Back in the day ReiserFS was the first (as far as I remember) Linux FS with journalling and it was a lot faster than ext2/ext3 when working with a large number of small files. I've never used its tail packing feature because I remember it led to files being lost or broken when the system wasn't properly shut down.

Comment

reiserfs had journaling, b+ tree design with tail-packing. There's a reason suse used it as their default filesystem for so long, it kept or beat ext3 and had an actual *design* and *vision* for mature filesystems and a single highly driven developer. I used xfs at work even then but reiserfs had its place on my desktop home.

Whatever benefits it had disappeared by the time ext4 was mature, and whatever future it had died with Hans' wife. This letter is an attention grab.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                    Time to read lengthy novels about how ReiserFS was a perfect filesystem and too bad nobody picked up its development. Especially from people who never used it and never wrote any code.
                    RaiserFS was very good filesystem when you are dealing with many many small files.
                    Which is a situation that i am currently in and i created squashfs images because i hit the ext4 inode limit.

Comment

Working...
                    X