Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Launches AI QuickSet Software For Linux

Phoronix: ASRock Launches AI QuickSet Software For Linux

Here's a pleasant Christmas present and one I certainly wasn't expecting... Motherboard manufacturer ASRock has announced software for Linux! Well, not any motherboard management/configuration software for their desktop motherboards or anything like that but rather a Linux port of their AI QuickSet software that is intended to help users "experience AI in one click."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would like to see ASRock support Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS).

Comment

This is cool. Any direct support for Linux from the consumer focused OEMs is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Agreed. I'm having a hard time understanding the necessity of this tool they ported yet LVFS would be very beneficial while probably being easier for them to work on.

Comment

Hmm, it's very possible my next motherboard is from Asrock!

A friend of Linux is a friend of mine.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Me too! LVFS is great, we need more vendors using it. Are there any motherboard vendors that uses LVFS (to any real extent)?

If people ask nicely for it, maybe it'll happen. Hint hint.

Comment

Originally posted by Eudyptula View Post
            Are there any motherboard vendors that uses LVFS (to any real extent)?
            I think Dell does, which is a pretty big one, though they don't sell standalone consumer motherboards.

Comment

Originally posted by Eudyptula View Post
              Hmm, it's very possible my next motherboard is from Asrock!
              Apparently ASRock looks for any opportunity to refuse warranty service and is being investigated by the FTC (and is subject to a class-action lawsuit) over their officially stated warranty policies violation consumer protection law (eg. Legally-prohibited "warranty void if removed" stickers preventing access for necessary maintenance)

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Apparently ASRock looks for any opportunity to refuse warranty service and is being investigated by the FTC (and is subject to a class-action lawsuit) over their officially stated warranty policies violation consumer protection law (eg. Legally-prohibited "warranty void if removed" stickers preventing access for necessary maintenance)
                The apple really doesn't fall far from the tree, does it...

(For those who don't know, ASRock is a spinoff company of Asus.)

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

The apple really doesn't fall far from the tree, does it...

(For those who don't know, ASRock is a spinoff company of Asus.)
                  Not really anymore. They were started by Asus way back when as a lower cost line, but now they're both owned by Pegatron and run as independent companies.

I can tell you that, on AM5 at least, if you dig around Reddit and Asus's and ASRock's own forums, you'll see a lot more complaints about bugs and stability with the Asus boards.

Quick anecdote: I know I regret "upgrading" from my ASRock B650E board to my Asus Strix X670E-E board. Any bios past 1604 ends with constant boot failures and freezes at POST when EXPO is enabled. Same exact hardware worked perfectly in the ASRock board at the same AGESA versions. Should've just bought the x670E Taichi instead. Live and learn I suppose.

Back on topic: I'm happy with any OEM bringing any kind of support to Linux. Now if AMD would just release Linux drivers for AMD Raid.
                  Last edited by WileEPyote; 23 December 2023, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Yeah I've been suffering from the ASUS side bugs and tragic limitations mostly BIOS missing / unexposed features (e.g. ASPM PCIE settings controls), useless memtest, horrible documentation of BIOS settings there are, lack of LVFS, et. al.

I got scared off ASRock wrt. my purchase decision based on bad reviews for their warranty support / support / quality etc. though none of the major MB makers seem to have particularly good ratings which is sad when so many of them could have apparently been at least ameliorated by good warranty service.

Originally posted by WileEPyote View Post

I can tell you that, on AM5 at least, if you dig around Reddit and Asus's and ASRock's own forums, you'll see a lot more complaints about bugs and stability with the Asus boards.

Comment

Working...
                    X