No announcement yet.

ASRock Launches AI QuickSet Software For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My main system is now based again on a ASRock board and it feels great to have again a stable system. I had so many issues with MSI and Asus! It would be really great if ASRock could make the next step and provide LVFS upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
      My main system is now based again on a ASRock board and it feels great to have again a stable system. I had so many issues with MSI and Asus! It would be really great if ASRock could make the next step and provide LVFS upgrades.
      *shrug* my MSI MEG x570 board has been 100% rock solid for years. Absolutely zero issues. I even brought it back from the dead once after a failed bios upgrade using the on-board flasher

Comment

I have a ASRock X399 threatripper mainboard and was attacked by a LogoFail Trojaner who did break the UEFI Secure boot of the ASROCK X399 Teichi mainboard.

ASRock Super Alloy; Supports AMD TR4 Socket Ryzen Threadripper Series CPUs; IR Digital PWM, 11 Power Phase & Dr. MOS; Supports Quad Channel DDR4 3600+(OC) & ECC UDIMM Memory; 4 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x1; NVIDIA 4-Way SLI™, AMD 4-Way CrossFireX™; 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec), Supports DTS Connect; 8 SATA3, 3 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3); 2 USB 3.1 Gen2 10Gb/s (1 Type-A + 1 Type-C), 12 USB 3.1 Gen1 (4 Front, 8 Rear); 1 U.2 Connector; Dual Intel Gigabit LAN; Intel 802.11ac WiFi; ASRock RGB LED; BIOS Flashback; Hyper BCLK Engine III

their website show there is no BIOS update with a bugfix for the LogoFail Vulnerability.

the attacks carried out with the help of the LogoFail Vulnerability are already out in the wild they should react fast and release a bios update for their mainboards to disable the logo or else to make sure the logo can not be changed like Dell does it.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Eudyptula View Post
          Hmm, it's very possible my next motherboard is from Asrock!
          A friend of Linux is a friend of mine.
          Me too! LVFS is great, we need more vendors using it. Are there any motherboard vendors that uses LVFS (to any real extent)?
          If people ask nicely for it, maybe it'll happen. Hint hint.
          i have 2 ASRock threadripper mainboards and my system was attacked with the help of LogoFail Vulnerability.
          and ASRock does not roll out bios updates for the LogoFail Vulnerability yet.

and yes of course ASRock sould support LVFS to update the bios.

because not many people do manual bios updates to fix something like LogoFail.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

The apple really doesn't fall far from the tree, does it...

(For those who don't know, ASRock is a spinoff company of Asus.)
            true ASRock is a spinoff of ASUS but they sold ASRock a long time ago... so its no longer ASUS.-..

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

i have 2 ASRock threadripper mainboards and my system was attacked with the help of LogoFail Vulnerability.
              and ASRock does not roll out bios updates for the LogoFail Vulnerability yet.

and yes of course ASRock sould support LVFS to update the bios.

because not many people do manual bios updates to fix something like LogoFail.
              Sounds like exactly the kind of situation where Microsoft needs to throw their weight around through a new policy that they'll withhold Windows Logo Certification from all products by any vendor who makes mainboards and takes longer than X to push out security updates for their UEFI.

Windows Logo Certification as a carrot/stick certainly worked for things like "As of Windows Vista, all Windows Logo Certified webcams must be USB Video Class devices using the OS-provided driver".

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I would like to see ASRock support Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS).
                true, but at least you can just update their uefis with just the .bin file instead of fiddling around with freedos like it's the case with some others.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                  Sounds like exactly the kind of situation where Microsoft needs to throw their weight around through a new policy that they'll withhold Windows Logo Certification from all products by any vendor who makes mainboards and takes longer than X to push out security updates for their UEFI.
                  Windows Logo Certification as a carrot/stick certainly worked for things like "As of Windows Vista, all Windows Logo Certified webcams must be USB Video Class devices using the OS-provided driver".
                  yes true but LogoFail looks like to me as this is the official government back-door provided to the domestic spy agencies.
                  thats the reason why they do not want to fix that with an bios update.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
                    I have a ASRock X399 threatripper mainboard and was attacked by a LogoFail Trojaner who did break the UEFI Secure boot of the ASROCK X399 Teichi mainboard.

ASRock Super Alloy; Supports AMD TR4 Socket Ryzen Threadripper Series CPUs; IR Digital PWM, 11 Power Phase & Dr. MOS; Supports Quad Channel DDR4 3600+(OC) & ECC UDIMM Memory; 4 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x1; NVIDIA 4-Way SLI™, AMD 4-Way CrossFireX™; 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec), Supports DTS Connect; 8 SATA3, 3 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3); 2 USB 3.1 Gen2 10Gb/s (1 Type-A + 1 Type-C), 12 USB 3.1 Gen1 (4 Front, 8 Rear); 1 U.2 Connector; Dual Intel Gigabit LAN; Intel 802.11ac WiFi; ASRock RGB LED; BIOS Flashback; Hyper BCLK Engine III

their website show there is no BIOS update with a bugfix for the LogoFail Vulnerability.

the attacks carried out with the help of the LogoFail Vulnerability are already out in the wild they should react fast and release a bios update for their mainboards to disable the logo or else to make sure the logo can not be changed like Dell does it.
                    UEFI updates that break system stability and force you to roll back to an earlier version also do not protect you from LogoFail. Updates for vulnerabilities are pointless if you can't use said updates. That's exactly where I am with Asus.

If both are insecure anyway, I'm gonna pick the one that's more reliable and stable.

Comment

Originally posted by WileEPyote View Post
                      UEFI updates that break system stability and force you to roll back to an earlier version also do not protect you from LogoFail. Updates for vulnerabilities are pointless if you can't use said updates. That's exactly where I am with Asus.
                      If both are insecure anyway, I'm gonna pick the one that's more reliable and stable.
                      thats true..

but the fix for LogoFail is trivial you do it the DELL way by disable the ability to change the Logo or you just disable the complete logo and show the text based bios message.

I really wonder about Asus do they really do security patches who are unstable what force you to use the old version with the security holes ?

thats really bad then plain and simple never buy a ASUS mainboard again other brands are cheaper and better anyway.

its a long time ago that i had any asus mainboard because everytime i check for a new system they are more expensive

Comment

Working...
                      X