No announcement yet.

Bcachefs Looks Like It Won't Make It For Linux 6.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this is what happens when you use email to manage a git repository. Many of the blocks could've been avoided if Linux would be handled via a modern git platform, like Gitlab. I can't even begin to comprehend how they manage to get anything done and keep track of everything. Probably with a rolodex and post it notes stuck to the side of their CRT monitors.

Comment

They should rewrite it in Rust.

That will make it 1000x cooler and it will be adopted immediately, thus validating the Rust infrastructure in the kernel... 'Cause nothing else is using it.

Comment

Originally posted by lproven View Post
        They should rewrite it in Rust.

That will make it 1000x cooler and it will be adopted immediately, thus validating the Rust infrastructure in the kernel... 'Cause nothing else is using it.
        A rust rewrite is in the cards, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
          Well, this is what happens when you use email to manage a git repository. Many of the blocks could've been avoided if Linux would be handled via a modern git platform, like Gitlab. I can't even begin to comprehend how they manage to get anything done and keep track of everything. Probably with a rolodex and post it notes stuck to the side of their CRT monitors.
          If you think about it, a mailing list is great for training your memory

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post

A rust rewrite is in the cards, apparently.
            The Joker?

...that's probably unwarranted. That said, if a rewrite is on the cards, be aware that Rust is not a magic wand to make your code bug-free. It certainly doesn't substitute for poor, or lacking, systems analysis; or misapprehensions about workflows; or other meta-level complications of logic encoded in the application. Understanding what your code is meant to do is far more important than writing exemplary code that does the wrong thing.

Comment

A shame, hopefully this will have time for egos to cool across the board, and maybe even some discussion on how to actually progress. A lot of people are eager for bcachefs I myself and patiently waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
                Understanding what your code is meant to do is far more important than writing exemplary code that does the wrong thing.

Yes the Linux kernel documentation kind of does ask for exemplary code to review. So that people who are reviewing code are not detracted from real problem by poor coding.

The reality is submitting code to Linux kernel both are very important. Code not exemplary Linux maintainers/developers will not want to review it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  A shame, hopefully this will have time for egos to cool across the board, and maybe even some discussion on how to actually progress. A lot of people are eager for bcachefs I myself and patiently waiting.
                  I'm among those people as well. I hope this Kent-guy manages to cool his head and just proceeds to do as asked to. All this hubbub would die off practically instantly if he'd just sign with PHP, fix the compilation error and submitted the patches to kernel-next and everyone would benefit. But oh well, it is his decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel
                    Not some fucking cheapass web UI (like say, gmail on browser).
                    Now that's uncalled for. Google has shoveled a ton of money into that impressively invasive piece of spyware.

Comment

Well, I hope time away from the screen gives those who take it a refreshed perspective. Seems like more than just one needs some time off.

Comment

Working...
                      X