Twitter's New "X" Logo Is Reminding Plenty Of People Around X.Org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post

Evasion is illegal. Avoidance is not. This strategy is tax avoidance.
    I think we can all agree that is morally wrong and should be illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
      Musk was doing so well with Tesla and especially Space X. I really don't get what he thinks he's doing with twitter other than running it into the ground.
      Musk didn't, the employees did.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
        Musk didn't, the employees did.
        If you look at where Musk has had success, there were all examples of taking on legacy industries with a more "tech" mindset:
        • Finance (Paypal)
        • Automotive (Tesla)
        • Rockets & Satellites (SpaceX)

As far as I know, Twitter is his first major attempt to turn around an existing Tech company and beat Silicon Valley at its own game. It's interesting that it's also where his hubris seems to have exceeded his abilities. Another key difference seems to be that his other companies are product companies, whereas Twitter is essentially a service company (you could argue SpaceX is a service, but not a consumer service; Paypal was also a service, but he was only one of several co-founders), and maybe there are some things he has yet to learn about running a service.

...and this might be controversial, but I have to wonder if his self-admitted Autism-spectrum status has played a role in his seemingly poor ability to predict how various policy changes would be viewed by users.
        Last edited by coder; 25 July 2023, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
          I see a lot of posts that don't understand why Elon is making the choices he is, and why people like him so much.

First, Twitter is a very simple website and yet they had tons of employees, most of whom did not produce anything that moved towards the companies goals (unless you count DEI). Like a tree, it was long overdue for pruning.

Second, when the content moderators were moderating, they demonstrated their inability to remain unbiased or impartial in their rulings. If they cannot properly moderate a particular topic (censoring opposition to vaccine mandates), they shouldn't moderate it. Simple as that.

Third, decentralization has a problem with bad actors. In real life, a public place its not as much of an issue because there's only one bad actor per person, it's difficult to bad actors to travel from public place to public place without facing consequences. Twitter is probably the closest we can get to such a place on the internet.

Fourth, everyone has equal right to speak but speech is not of equal value. It follows something like the 80/20 rule, or price's law.

Fifth, the plan is to make Twitter (X now) into more than just a public square for communication. I don't know all the plans, but part of it will be ecommerce.

Sixth, one of the major reasons why Elon is so popular is because he engages with culture and the public and the site in a way that others don't. No one cares about Zuckerburg's Facebook posts, and you don't see Zuckerberg interacting with the general public like Elon does.
          Nah, people like him because apparently there is a "market" for narcissistic and fascist "prodigies". His fascist world views are all public and he is quite honest about it actually. (Longtermisc, poor shouldn't reproduce, people without children shouldn't have the right to vote, human rights are only for the smart, current people don't matter compared to future people, the smarts should rule over the poor, etc...) He is the personification of the neo-liberal lie of "everybody can make it if they are just smart enough and market themselves right" totally ignoring that success is a game of chance.

That there are a lot of people liking him is a systemic failure of our society.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            If you look at where Musk has had success, there were all examples of taking on legacy industries with a more "tech" mindset:
            • Finance (Paypal)
            • Automotive (Tesla)
            • Rockets & Satellites (SpaceX)

As far as I know, Twitter is his first major attempt to turn around an existing Tech company and beat Silicon Valley at its own game. It's interesting that it's also where his hubris seems to have exceeded his abilities. Another key difference seems to be that his other companies are product companies, whereas Twitter is essentially a service company (you could argue SpaceX is a service, but not a consumer service), and maybe there are some things he has yet to learn about running a service.

...and this might be controversial, but I have to wonder if his self-admitted Autism-spectrum status has played a role in his seemingly poor ability to predict how various policy changes would be viewed by users.
            there is chatter around that the key success of Paypal/Tesla/SpaceX is to manage Elon to reduce what damage he can do.

Comment

Originally posted by bosjc View Post
              Right on, you obviously know a lot about this, especially Twitter's ops cost and complexity, and you are obviously smarter than those pesky moderators and know more about anti-vaccine rhetoric then they do.
              He obviously is since they lost their job.

Checkmate clown.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                Can someone get a medic to his house, he appears to be suffering from severe delusions.
                At least I didn't lose my job because I'm actually productive. Cope harder.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

I think we can all agree that is morally wrong and should be illegal.
                  I certainly do not agree with either of those points. What he has done is no different than people taking out a line of credit against home equity: is that morally wrong, and should that be illegal as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    At least I didn't lose my job because I'm actually productive. Cope harder.
                    Lol, guess the Weasel got triggered here. Fun fact: while I have decades across the industry in various startups and mid and big sizes companies, I have never worked at Twitter, or any other social media "company", as even before Musk ran it into the ground I still thought it was trash. Try harder next time, though, maybe senpai Elon will notice you.

Comment

Twitter is somehow still functioning and yet has about 20% of the workforce.
                      the multiple high profile outages and errors and reports from engineers in the company says otherwise. A lot of that staff was also in the forward thinking R&D, data science (which measures impact of new features w/ iterative test driven development), marketing, their entire press relation core (the email of which just responds now with a literal poop emoji).

Revenue is down what 50%+? They aren't paying rent or hosting costs. What exactly are you smoking?

First problem is you believe people are too stupid to be allowed to speak (and therefore think) for themselves.
                      No, Twitter as a platform of a private company decided they didn't want idiots spewing easily dis-proven lies and bullshit on their platform. Same as a grocery store kicking out a crazy person howling to the moon or disturbing their customers.

Second problem is that you don't seem to be aware that sunlight is the best disinfectant. Someone who says something incorrect publicly can be corrected publicly.
                      As someone already pointed out, no, purposeful and dangerous propaganda has no place in public discourse and should be shunned by the public.

Are you familiar with projection? Everything you've said is said with the belief that you know better than everyone else. You somehow both understand that there is complexity so you likely won't know better than others, but you speak with the arrogance of someone who does.
                      Yeah, I've been designing highly scalable web architecture for decades now: although admittedly the last decade-15 years I've been more on the executive/high level of teams and guidance. I have no idea what Twitter's architecture is, but I certainly can understand and know their scale and guess at what they have to support and the scope of what they do. The irony here, of course, is this is coming from the person who claimed Twitter was a "simple" website, which is the take of someone at best in the first year of computer science at university: so do tell me who is projecting and has the arrogance, but the one calling a massive website built be thousands of engineers over a decade as just a 'simple' thing?

Comment

Working...
                      X