Linux Kernel Networking Driver Development Impacted By Russian Sanctions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    So your conclusion is that because I am not a biased person, I am not a westerner?
    When someone praises the advances brought on by Putin's 20 year reign, my conclusion is specifically that they are biased. He's an ex-KGB agent who maneuvered through the collapse into an effective dictatorship for life, and has spent that time trying to destabilize western democracies and every state in the region.

It may be that simply having *someone* in power has helped to raise the standard of living post-USSR but his regime has been marked by the systemic looting of every state institution and continual aggression towards his neighbors.

As a "citizen of this world" I'd wonder what value you find in his nuclear sabre rattling and attacks on state sovereignty.

Russia still has problems, you just need to understand that Russia still has a small economy of the size of Germany...of-course that all problems have not being solved..they are a country of 150 Million.
    Russia's population is much closer to ours than any other european country, and during the cold war their military and aerospace institutions were world-class. They now struggle to get rockets into space, and that's largely because of the corruption ushered in under him.

In my previous post I mentioned Russia and China presidents, and I think that a big mention needs also to be given to Lula da Silva , President of Brasil, he also
    managed to take some millions out of poverty.
    You're certainly not changing my opinion of you by citing yet another deeply corrupt government.

In PPP Russia is well above any country in EU.
    Median PPP income in Russia is $5k, well below just about anywhere in Europe. UK is 14k, Germany, France and Iceland are all 16k. And the comparison doesn't get better for Russia if you look at means.

Russia doesn't care much about Aircraft Carriers..Aircraft carriers are good to project power and prestige only.
    You can't use them against any developed nation, because they will be sunk easily.
    You should go inform China, they would love to sink a carrier if they could because that would allow them to get naval and air dominance in the SCS. And the analysis I've seen all focus on how unusually hard to sink they are.

When Putin went to the government, he doesn't even wanted to be president, he just took the job,
    Strange that he's modified the laws to allow him to continue being president and jailed his opposition + any dissidents. I'm sure he's really suffering, what with the whole no term limits amendment.

Of-course that China has a lot bigger economy, China is a Super Power Economically.
    China was nothing until the early 2000s, its economy was coming out of destitution at a time when Russia had one of the most capable aerospace and military industries in the world. They pivoted and expanded while Russia's economy shrank due to horrendous mismanagement. You can see that if you chart China's GDP against Russia's during the 90s.
    China-Russia-GDP.jpg

Honestly, it is wearying encountering a torrent of easily disprovable misinformation, and I simply don't have the time to keep up.
    Last edited by ll1025; 23 March 2023, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ll1025 View Post
      Xi did not raise 500 million out of poverty. You could argue that Mao did that, if you can cover your eyes to the casualties along the way of the great leap forward.
      I think it was mostly Deng Xiaoping.

Comment

• Originally posted by ll1025 View Post
        ... and has spent that time trying to destabilize western democracies and every state in the region.
        That is propaganda.
        Russia never meddle in foreign affairs, however Russia will try to defend its sphere of influence, but by normal means...they are not like us...we steal everything we can...go ask the African continent..

Originally posted by ll1025 View Post
        It may be that simply having *someone* in power has helped to raise the standard of living post-USSR but his regime has been marked by the systemic looting of every state institution and continual aggression towards his neighbors.
        ho...so now you finally acknowledge that he manage to bring Russia up, in their living standards..but in the same sentence, you say that they are "aggressive towards its neighbours"..and even that they "loot the institutions"..omg..
        more propaganda, you can't stop on it...

Russia's population is much closer to ours than any other european country, and during the cold war their military and aerospace institutions were world-class. They now struggle to get rockets into space, and that's largely because of the corruption ushered in under him.
        Ok...enough propaganda.
        Russia continues to have the some of the best aerospace industries in the world!
        Go check, their success rate in getting things in space, its superior to 99%, in thousands of launches.
        Russia can launch a space craft, and 3.5 hours later it is attaching to ISS, no other country on earth can even do half of that!
        So don't come saying that they struggle to get things out of the ground because that is fake news!
        They have the best mathematicians, the best in Physics, and top notch in chemistry, in space they are very good...does you know that ISS system to maintain it is made by Russia...yeah, why do you think its like that?

In military terms, of-course that the 90s, destroyed the country, and it was necessary to rebuild and they are doing it.
        In nuclear weapons, they are already on par or above, probably.
        They developed hypersonic weapons.
        They are advancing the drone industry, slowly(Remember that the first drone on earth was launched by Soviet Union...the Buran!).
        They have created 5gen air plain
        They launched a lot of improved submarines, including Nuclear ones.
        They developed new Nuclear Missiles for the subs, Bulava, they developed new cruise missiles, anti-air missiles of all sorts.
        They created the s350,s400,s500,s550 anti-air defence systems,which are the best in the word...the previous world record for shutting down a air plain was 150km, in Ukraine S400, shut down one at 350km, a new world record...but they can shutdown at 400km(and detect them at 600km)
        They improved Buk, and Thor systems, to the point that Buk has now a missile, with an accuracy of more than 99%, and Thor is probably the most efficient anti-air defence in the world.
        They understood that Big ships today with current missiles available, are easy prey, so they developed and continue to develop more frigates, and corvettes, and submarines.
        They developed a new T14 armata tank, new munitions, and improved previous tanks.

For the Civil market, they developed a new series of the last generation engines, pd14,pd8,pd35, some of them as still in development.They developed 2 new civil air plains, and lots of helicopters, and also cars, trucks, etc.
        and I am going to stop here..a lot could be said, but the point is...they are working on it.

You're certainly not changing my opinion of you by citing yet another deeply corrupt government.
        The point is...I don't want to change your opinion!!
        I have nothing to gain from it!!Do you understand that?
        MSM media gets paid to put out propaganda.

I don't get paid, for giving my opinion on something, and I clearly don't want to change your opinion neither!
        That Government of Lula in Brasil, gets probably the 3rd place, worldwide..you can call it a "corrupt Government", whatever, I have a different opinion.

Median PPP income in Russia is $5k, well below just about anywhere in Europe. UK is 14k, Germany, France and Iceland are all 16k. And the comparison doesn't get better for Russia if you look at means.
        You can't just compare some things and get others out, because it suites you..
        The cost of living in Russia is very low, compared with other countries.Only that factor, smashes completely those numbers.

You should go inform China, they would love to sink a carrier if they could because that would allow them to get naval and air dominance in the SCS.
        They already have naval dominance!But they are not asking for trouble, like we do..
        And they already know, how to sunk aircraft carriers, they ask the Russians..and now because you tried to destroy Russia economically...they are now together!Do you see the problem?

A war between US and China, has the only beneficiaries, Russia,North Korea, and India.The US will loose the war and its super power status, China will loose a lot too in the process, but will definitely defeat US, and the US knows that!
        In that process Korea will be again a country from top to bottom, united.

Strange that he's modified the laws to allow him to continue being president and jailed his opposition + any dissidents. I'm sure he's really suffering, what with the whole no term limits amendment.
        He created a lot of legislation that will be the foundation of the Russian State in the future.
        With that legislation he included restrictions for those who try to be president...you can't have foreign nationality, or passports, in other words, you need to be Russian.
        He also created legislation so that in the future, presidents could lead the country for 2 consecutive mandates...I think he committed a mistake, in my opinion he should have allowed 3 consecutive mandates.
        This Laws where put to referendums, and the Russian people, approved it!!Its democracy working here..not dictatorship...but you already knew that, right?

Of course that with new legislation, he can also, try to be President, so he has I think, 2 more mandates available, if the Russian people elect him.
        I don't see nothing wrong with it.
        I don't even understand that propaganda that he "kills the opposition and dissidents", he "eat children's at breakfast"..omg

You need to understand that a new Russian President will need to defend the interests of the Russian people...in other words...no you will not get free energy...
        You will have to continue paying to get that energy...
        And I think EU don't understand that, and they continue to meddle in Russia Affairs with the US.. but I don't think the situation of the 90s will come again...
        That are only dreams from EU..
        Last edited by tuxd3v; 23 March 2023, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• Pure moral relativizm comes from the conclusion that everything is word against word, everything is unverifiable propaganda.

Just be careful about Chinese communists, they are potential threat to Vladivostok and maybe even more in a long run as much as they are threat to Chinese Taiwan. You've managed to be dependent of Chinese will as much as you wanted Europe to rely on Russian resources and it is real threat to Russian sovereignty. Who do you think will help Russia in a long run?​

Comment

• nope.
            Last edited by tuxd3v; 31 July 2023, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Well, I agree that Russia would be a more independent country without relying too much on China, but it was us who created that situation..
              We imposed illegal unilateral sanctions on them in a scale that has never being done, just to crash their economy, but it didn't work, in acts of terrorism, we destroyed their pipelines to Germany, and approved terrorist attacks on Crimea bridge..and we even put a limit on the price of Russian gas which is crazy..
              We managed to push Russia into the arms of China..like I said above, we need mature and capable leaders in EU...but we have spoiled children's leading us..
              You can't blame other countries for that they don't behave passively as you wish they will when you violate borders of other countries and put your people inside just to announce success. This shows behaviour full of complexes.

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
              Now because of that, all the energy we need go to China, and India.
              I don't know, China is not a imperial country, and they have solved all their territorial disputes with Russia in the 2000s, so Russia has very well defined borders with China.
              However in the future, when resources start to get scarce, with tensions rising because of it, China can as last resort try to get its hands on those territories that are full of energy.But I don't think Chinese military is a match for the Russian military...on the other side, China is huge and numbers also count..
              We will see. Chinese communists started to print maps with Haishenwai instead of Vladivostock. It is sign of some thoughts. Maybe they only want to take it over economically so they will have historical name in their minds when they will live in their Haishenwai.

But again, EU ruined our energetic plan!
              That doesn't mean that Russia will not provide gas to Europe, because it will, using their south stream pipelines, however all the EU industrial base is in the west, so we will not benefit of it..we start to see already talks that the Industrial base will have to be moved..that worries me a lot.
              These Russian authorities wanted to be able to put pressure on independent countries by being able to turn off the gas tap whenever they wish. That's not type of relation that is trustable. Such a relation tends to break up.

What we see is the EU lost its Sovereignty to the US, Russia is loosing it too to China and India.
              The problem is with type of relation. US treats allies as partners.

And the neocons in the US, extremists in Poland, and maybe even Germany...they may start a WWIII, and that worries me even more..
              As a side note, I inform you that I will not take part on that abomination.
              And noone wants to die at wars. Noone in Europe wants WWIII. Sanctions are also part of not making Russian authorities be able to escalate demands. People want to live peacefully and when you attack Ukraine the question is: who will be next? And then who? It's hard to quench hunger of man with complexes who needs to be praised.

From a strategic point of view, the US is managing to destroy our stability and competitiveness in EU, so I would say that for now, the bigger winner of all this mess is the United States..
              It managed to destroy EU energetic plan, and embroil us in a conflict with the Russians.We were stupid, and without experienced politicians, we succumbed to that.
              Not really. It is mutual relation, win-win situation. It's what is outside of Putin's scope, he must dominate, take advantage of others. Also EU punishes corporations, also from the US, if they do not follow European law.
              ​
              Now EU could still manage to try to preserve its Industrial base, providing that they build a lot of Nuclear Facilities to provide us with the energy that we need, but then the Green extremists will sabotage the plan, saying that Nuclear energy is dangerous...its half truth, and in the end we will be again without energetic plan.
              I can agree with you that nuclear energy is sometimes nessesary.
              Last edited by ququk; 24 March 2023, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• nope.
                Last edited by tuxd3v; 31 July 2023, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ququk View Post
                  We will see. Chinese communists started to print maps with Haishenwai instead of Vladivostock. It is sign of some thoughts. Maybe they only want to take it over economically so they will have historical name in their minds when they will live in their Haishenwai.
                  Dude that sounds like really poor propaganda. May I suggest to look at actions instead of vague accusations? Can you list any foreign interventions after the Vietnam War? If Russia and USA would only be half as peaceful as the Chinese, we might not be in such a bad place today.

These Russian authorities wanted to be able to put pressure on independent countries by being able to turn off the gas tap whenever they wish. That's not type of relation that is trustable. Such a relation tends to break up.
                  Yeah I hear that narrative often since the start of the war but before it was a great joint venture between EU an RU and Russia never made any attempt to cut anyone off, they delivered what was agreed on until the Nordstream incident. We wouldn't even have an energy crisis if we hadn't cut our selves off. Now US is buying the Russian gas and sells it to EU with a big margin.
                  Gas is half the economy in Russia even if they tried they wouldn't survive long if they don't sell gas anymore.

US treats allies as partners.
                  Are you joking or do you have an example? TSMC, ASML, Huawei, (endless list) ... probably love their fair partner over sea. US partner program is "give a little and then take all".
                  Who ever has a choice would never deal with such a partner.

Noone in Europe wants WWIII.
                  You mean the average people? Sure, but politicians and the war industry are drooling.

Sanctions are also part of not making Russian authorities be able to escalate demands.
                  Or an easy way to participate in a war without sending soldiers.
                  People want to live peacefully and when you attack Ukraine the question is: who will be next?
                  Then why did we never sanction the Us or fear for what ever their next attack is gone be and if they will ever stop. Maybe we can apply the same moral standards to all states?

if they do not follow European law.
                  And don't forget that they also punish them selves if the law says so. But they never did it because US was invading other states.

Comment

Are you talking about Iraq, Afghanistan,Syria,Libya?Is by that, that you mean "passive"?
                    Because the Ukraine problem has being raging from 2014...Russia only got involved in 2022, and was just because the newly created NATO army was about to be sent to donbass in March 2022.
                    The army we created...so don't pretend that you don't know, because you know what your government have done.
                    If you ask me if am I supporter of the wars. No, I'm not. And it cannot cover actions that happen right now, when Ukrainians pay with their blood to reclaim the country within the borders.
                    You cannot cover one think with another one.

Russia is a reliable partner country, probably the most reliable.
                    There are not a single energy producer that is so reliable as Russia.
                    I wish you to live to see the times in which everyone could agree with that statement from their free will.

The US has allies when they suite them, but for the US, they see them as vassals.
                    Don't get the illusion that we will ever be partners with them.
                    Partners require a equal to equal relationship.
                    About the cases of the countries you've mentioned above. This topic of wars in countries you've mentioned in the beginning repulsed me a bit, I did not dig deeply to tell, and I have really mixed feelings, saw the critics from some French documentaries quite long time ago. In general it's fine to critize anyone, myself included, if there is valid reason for it.
                    Obviously every country thinks about their national interest. You see USA as clear rival, and that is fine. I don't know what will Russians do when they'll finally give their country back. They can do whatever they want.

Russia has being dribbling the problem for more than 8 years, exactly because they don't wanted to be involved in Ukraine.
                    You thought it will be quick takeover. It is not. And I think the same about what happens in Russia. That this situation should be a lesson. Because it is not the end of the world and it can be fixed.

you are obsessed with Putin
                    I'm not obsesed in anyone. I wish Russians were able to choose the one they wish.

Can you tell me what "win-win" situation is that?
                    Because as far as I understand it, EU is the one loosing its energy security.
                    Win-win situation would be if you deliver resources and you'll get paid for it. Manipulating it for political reasons is depending on will of these Russian authorities.
                    Diversification of resources is increasing energy security as it doesn't rely on one supplier.

The thing is more you want to dominate people, the more people want to avoid being dominated. When you intimidate your people with brutal force, you may be able to pacify them and cheat them with unfair elections. It will not work against free states that you cannot intimidate or kill.

Are you sure that EU punishes the US for not behaving?Have you ever know that the US spies on EU citizens?Even on heads of states...have you haver heard of Snowden?
                    Have you punished them?right...vassals don't punish their master, its their master that punished them..
                    I'm talking about private companies, like Apple, which are not the gouvernment. And not punishing per say, just demanding following regulations like USB-C standard. I can't recognize the case but I remember demanding that some product must be available in the whole EU.

Comment

• Originally posted by ququk View Post
                      just demanding following regulations like USB-C standard. I can't recognize the case but I remember demanding that some product must be available in the whole EU.
                      That is about reducing e-waste (unified power supplys). And every country (even EU ones) need to comply if they want to sell stuff on this market. Is there any country in the world that doesn't do this?
                      If someone want's to sell something to the US market there is a whole bunch of regulations. I can't see anything bad or punishing there.

Comment

Working...
                      X