Linux Foundation Expects Revenues Of $177 Million This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    The exhortation was for people (i.e. donors, sponsors, etc.) to spread the love. The OP said nothing about The Linux Foundation spreading love/wealth/etc.
    I know, my reply wasn't about Linux foundation itself. It was to point out that it is an industry consortium receiving money with specific business objectives from member corporations. In other words, the sponsors aren't going to spread around the money randomly to other OS projects without those OS projects doing something unique that meets their commercial interests.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Considering that a lot of people would have to be convinced for you proposal to be even considered, let alone accepted, I'd say that reba is totally on the mark...
      What the fuck are you talking about again?

The message in the mailing list calls for making kernel development up to date, reliable and responsible. Are you against it?? OK, then, I won't stop you from eating shit, i.e. fighting with kernel regressions and tons of bugs. Good fucking luck.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        the sponsors aren't going to spread around the money randomly to other OS projects without those OS projects doing something unique that meets their commercial interests.
        Right. Not sponsors, but donors can.

In full disclosure, I've never donated to either. I have actually donated to GNU, in the distant past (and a few other software projects, FWIW). And neither Linux Foundation nor any of the BSDs are on my list of year-end donations, now or in the foreseeable future. Linux seems to be doing fine, with its corporate sponsorship, and I wish the BSDs well on their own missions. I'm not about to randomly donate to BSDs, since I doubt those projects will collapse without it. If I were personally invested (i.e. time/energy) in one of them, that'd be a different story.

In 10 or 20 years, will any of the operating systems be as relevant as today? I doubt it. And that's not something any donation is going to change.

In that sense, what the Linux Foundation is doing is pretty smart - not putting all their eggs in the Linux basket! However, it might be more about the recognition that the health & success of the Linux Kernel depends on a lot of other software projects around it, some of which probably haven't been getting enough support before Linux Foundation expanded.
        Last edited by coder; 08 December 2021, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Michael, is there anything you can do to reduce false positives in the spam filter? My post (#33) didn't even include any links or inflammatory language.

It's annoying because posts sometimes stay unapproved for long enough that several more posts get added to the thread. And by that point, most people won't notice the post when it finally becomes visible.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            Right. Not sponsors, but donors can.

In full disclosure, I've never donated to either. I have actually donated to GNU, in the distant past (and a few other software projects, FWIW). And neither Linux Foundation nor any of the BSDs are on my list of year-end donations, now or in the foreseeable future.
            Practically speaking, individual donors don't really exist for Linux Foundation. It is not a non-profit in the same way that FSF is. Individual donations are not tax deductible. It is setup as an industry consortium ie) 501c(4), not 501c(3). Therefore individual donors are in reality irrelevant when talking about the Linux Foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post

What the fuck are you talking about again?

The message in the mailing list calls for making kernel development up to date, reliable and responsible. Are you against it?? OK, then, I won't stop you from eating shit, i.e. fighting with kernel regressions and tons of bugs. Good fucking luck.
              Maybe the urge to argue is preventing you from actually understanding what I was saying...

You may be right from a technical standpoint, but that's not the point.
              Some of your posts on different trackers are more like rants than proper workable issues, what do you expect?

TLDR: Don't be a jerk, maybe people will listen more

Comment

Working...
              X