Linux Foundation Expects Revenues Of $177 Million This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    I agree with giving Michael some money for all the work he does.
    If you want Michael to get paid, hit the Donate link and get your friends/employer to do the same. If you're already a Premium member, give him a bonus.

It's not realistic to expect Linux Foundation to go out searching for people & projects they like and start paying out money. At the very least, Michael would have to pitch them on supporting OpenBenchmarking or something. Then, he might get a grant. Or, maybe he turns it over to Linux Foundation, and gets some money as its maintainer. I don't know if that's exactly how it works, but that's probably how someone like Michael could get funded by them.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Lots of money and yet Linux on desktops marketshare sucks big time!
      There is likely nothing stopping you from creating (something like) a Desktop Foundation and soliciting funding to help move things forward. You (and a few like minded colleagues) could create a non-profit organization fairly easily.

Comment

Deficits lead to spending on interest for loans instead of what an organisation is supposed to be doing. I hope they get a handle on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
          Deficits lead to spending on interest for loans instead of what an organisation is supposed to be doing. I hope they get a handle on that.
          They obviously are spending beyond their income this year, but are they actually in debt? I assumed the rest would come from savings.

I agree that a foundation like this shouldn't run deficits... at least, not when income is healthy. Ideally, they'd setup an endowment and fund activities mostly off the interest. Maybe they can't afford to set that much aside, but you want to be accumulating some savings for that inevitable time when income suddenly drops.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post

All the SJWs have rejoiced reading your pamphlet about manners which is however 100% off the mark as it doesn't even remotely address the issue at hand. I do hope you have no relationship to either software development or real world construction because you'll halt all the projects based on how people communicate.
            Considering that a lot of people would have to be convinced for you proposal to be even considered, let alone accepted, I'd say that reba is totally on the mark...

Comment

Once again they are facing some criticism for the Linux Foundation's annual report being made on macOS using Adobe software products. They've done that in the past and in public settings pre-pandemic it hasn't been uncommon to find Linux Foundation directors and other stakeholders running Apple MacBook products with macOS.
              Boo hoo - It gets the job done amazingly. It sucks staring all day at the dull libre office gui and other crappy OSS products. All I want to do with my limited time is get work done and meet deadlines.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post
                Let me tell just one: Linux Foundation sucks ass.

Why?

https://lkml.org/lkml/2021/11/5/425 (mirror: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email protected]/ )

TLDR: The kernel bugzilla is run/maintained by a single person who dedicates like 15 minutes of his time to it. It's 80% outdated, most kernel hackers are not subscribed to it, it lacks integration with multiple projects, etc. etc. etc.

The central/most important piece of the Linux ecosystem for fuck's sake.
                I don't give a crap about other replies in your comment, but I totally agree on you. Linux Foundation focuses mostly about too much things and less about Linux kernel development.

Linux kernel development is outdated and very bad managed. The big amount of easy regressions and occasional stupid ideas are signs of it.

They need to hire maintainers, update infrastructure, fire subsystem maintainers morons (there are many) that stagnate patches because stupid reasons or put more people on subsystem maintenance because bottleneck reviewing patches, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Based on how Valve has been trending it's likely they'll contribute towards non-gamers moving forward. By that I mean after the first Steam Machines and SteamOS basically flopped they supported what they could but cut their losses, took a step back, and slowly started over with work on Proton, hiring and supporting key developers, and contributing towards Mesa, the Linux kernel, and other projects to actually make games run worth a damn before their upcoming reboot and foray into Linux again, it would make sense that they'd shift towards making the supporting environment their platforms run on work better now that their core focus, a quality gaming environment and store, is nearing fruition.
                  right the first steambox failed... for me this was clear from day 1... and why? it was intel CPU and Nvidia GPU... the games where ported with inferior technology like OpenGL.

the next steambox console is 100% sure a success and why? its an AMD GPU and AMD CPU... and they use Vulkan...

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

right the first steambox failed... for me this was clear from day 1... and why? it was intel CPU and Nvidia GPU... the games where ported with inferior technology like OpenGL.

the next steambox console is 100% sure a success and why? its an AMD GPU and AMD CPU... and they use Vulkan...
                    While I'm excited for the all AMD aspect of the Steam Deck, Intel+Nvidia wasn't why the first Steam Machines failed. They failed simply because layers like Proton and DXVK didn't exist and the combination of using Debian as a base. Intel+Nvidia usually make a stellar combination for games on Linux or any OS, especially on Debian where you're just not going to get adequate driver updates due to the lack of kernel version updates.

Back then, at best it was Gallium-Nine for DX9 games with AMD hardware and everything else was native or Wine. There just aren't that many native games and back then Wine wasn't hit or miss. It was usually swing and a miss. Valve was basically selling people a gaming PC with next to no games when compared to traditional gaming PC running Windows.

The funny thing about the Steam Machine 1.0 is that from the bean counter POV they did everything right: strong hardware combination; picked a stable distribution to start with; tried to push their clients towards Linux and their future vision...for a bit we were getting more Linux native games. Debian is great on paper, great on a server you don't want to change, great on a desktop you don't want to change, not so great on a desktop where you need to be dynamic and fluid to meet the ever changing needs of games and future technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      While I'm excited for the all AMD aspect of the Steam Deck, Intel+Nvidia wasn't why the first Steam Machines failed. They failed simply because layers like Proton and DXVK didn't exist and the combination of using Debian as a base. Intel+Nvidia usually make a stellar combination for games on Linux or any OS, especially on Debian where you're just not going to get adequate driver updates due to the lack of kernel version updates.
                      Back then, at best it was Gallium-Nine for DX9 games with AMD hardware and everything else was native or Wine. There just aren't that many native games and back then Wine wasn't hit or miss. It was usually swing and a miss. Valve was basically selling people a gaming PC with next to no games when compared to traditional gaming PC running Windows.
                      The funny thing about the Steam Machine 1.0 is that from the bean counter POV they did everything right: strong hardware combination; picked a stable distribution to start with; tried to push their clients towards Linux and their future vision...for a bit we were getting more Linux native games. Debian is great on paper, great on a server you don't want to change, great on a desktop you don't want to change, not so great on a desktop where you need to be dynamic and fluid to meet the ever changing needs of games and future technologies.
                      well at the same time of the failing steambox i bought all AMD means CPU+GPU... FX8320+RX470 later TR1920+vega64

you should read this article it looks like the Nvidia Peak GPU bubble is about to burst

"AMD reportedly sells more graphics cards than Nvidia
                      According to German retailer Mindfactory's weekly sales data (reported by Hardware Times), AMD accounted for 75% of graphics card sales in the last week of October, and Nvidia accounted for the remainder. This was a departure from the usual trend of Nvidia accounting for more than 60% of Mindfactory's weekly sales and AMD coming in second."

"According to Mindfactory data, AMD's recently launched RX 6600 GPU was its top-selling chip with weekly shipments of 745 units. The RTX 3070 was Nvidia's top-selling card with shipments of just 400 units on Mindfactory's platform. This isn't surprising as customers can get their hands on the RX 6600 at reasonable prices on the street, with the card selling between $400 and $500 as compared to AMD's suggested starting price of $329.

This makes the RX 6600 an ideal bet for gamers looking to play games at a resolution of 1080p, as buying its Nvidia counterpart -- the RTX 3060 -- would turn out to be an expensive affair for gamers. Though the RTX 3060 has the same manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $329, its average actual price is closer to $700, according to data compiled by Tom's Hardware."

it looks like PEAK GPU is over and now the people buy AMD gpus because of a massive price drop compared to nvidia.

a AMD RX 6600 is 549€ at geizhals: https://geizhals.de/?cat=gra16_512&x...2+-+RX+6900+XT

a nvidia RTX 2060 is at 539€

Based on 666,718 user benchmarks for the AMD RX 6600-XT and the Nvidia RTX 2060, we rank them both on effective speed and value for money against the best 714 GPUs.

Based on 469,114 user benchmarks for the AMD RX 6600-XT and the Nvidia RTX 3060, we rank them both on effective speed and value for money against the best 714 GPUs.

a RTX3060 is at 699€

a amd rx6600XT is at 629€

this means you save 70€ and the 6600XT is 2% faster according to this userbenchmark.com comparison.

looks like AMDs marketshare increase a lot these days.
                      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                      X