No announcement yet.

Linux Kernel Preparing New Guidelines For Using Inclusive Terminology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they getting rid of daemons, like that weird "Christian Linux" distro I recall reading about, like a decade ago?

On that point, it's sort of ironic that systemd adopted the whole "service" nomenclature, yet its own name still hearkens back to the notion of daemons.

Comment

Originally posted by CTTY View Post
      To be more precise, "kill" is used to send a signal, so yeah, probably there is a more describing term needed, because people get this wrong
      The logical thing to call it would be "signal", but... ugh... that's like 50% more characters to type!

Comment

What a sad day. To think that one day Linus actually stood up to this bullshit...

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter: https://www.tfir.io/dnlBecome a patron of this channel: https://www.patreon.com/TFIRFollow us on Twitter: https://twitter...
        Last edited by TruthPropeller; 04 July 2020, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Yeah what's next? Rename the "kill" program to "terminate" because some crazy people think "kill" involves death, crime or murder?
          "kill" and "terminate" are two different things for the kernel, so this is not possible.

Honestly, as a French, I do not understand Americans. In France, nobody thinks that "listes noires" (blacklists) are racist, even blackface is not an issue, it's even used as an anti-racist gimmick in "Les aventures de Rabbi Jacob", an anti-racist French movie (great comedy). I do believe that we are less racist in France than in the US (much less racist murders, and racist murderers are much more severely jugged in France) but we would have never considered as racist things that Americans seems to consider racist. I hope my country will be preserved from those new US-inspired "anti-racist" activists that, to me and lots of other French people, looks actually more racist that some of our far-right politicians. I am anti-racist myself but I just can not consider this kind of activist to be anti-racist in any way, to me, it is racist itself. I do not want to hurt US people but maybe they should reconsider their vision of racism and fight real racism, like murders of unfair trials, rather that terms like "slave" or "blacklist" and replace their obsession of race struggle with universalism.

Comment

This won't fix the REAL problem, or even have a impact on peoples mental mindsets on whether their rampant racists or not!
            Politically correct society attacking everything BUT the root cause of the problem(s)... as always. (and it has nothing to do with list labels)

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
              So how about listening instead. going full Karen everytime inclusivity is mentioned and ask yourself "what is the problem they are trying to solve" and then try to understand the problem.
              Political correctness, this "inclusive terminology" nonsense, cancel culture. It is all a cancer. Full stop.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 04 July 2020, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Wtf is wrong with the people nowadays...

Comment

The Linux kernel is a global software project, and in 2020 there was a global reckoning on race relations that caused many organizations to re-evaluate their policies and practices relative to the inclusion of people of African descent.
                  So odd to see police shootings in the U.S. and the resultant furor characterized as "a global reckoning"; does anyone have insight what makes this a global reckoning? From what I've heard and read, it seems this change would be more accurately characterized as #include <us_cultural_baggage.h>

Comment

Originally posted by cqcallaw View Post
                    So odd to see police shootings in the U.S. and the resultant furor characterized as "a global reckoning"; does anyone have insight what makes this a global reckoning? From what I've heard and read, it seems this change would be more accurately characterized as #include <us_cultural_baggage.h>
                    The even stranger thing, is that when you look at the numbers, the killing of unarmed citizens by police in the US is so rare it's hardly worth talking about. In 2019, there were a grand total of 9 unarmed black people killed by police in the US. Yes, nine. During that same time, twenty (20) Americans were killed by lightning strikes. So the fact is, you are more than twice as likely to die in the US from a lightning bolt from the sky, then you are to be an unarmed black man murdered by the police. The entire BLM argument is absurd. Nevermind the 10,000 or so black Americans that are murdered every single year by other black Americans, mainly in drug/gang related ghetto crime. Those 10,000 black lives don't matter, apparently, as the BLM movement ignores them completely. Only those 9 matter, where the police are involved. It's shameful how dishonest the whole BLM thing is. #FactsMatter
                    Last edited by torsionbar28; 05 July 2020, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                      Political correctness, this "inclusive terminology" nonsense, cancel culture. It is all a cancer. Full stop.
                      Sure, PC stuff can be totally BS - and that stuff certainly deserves to have the piss pulled out of it.

I can also totally see "Cancel Culture" going full Karen at times - that too deserves to be ridiculed.

People going too far and becoming "precious snowflakes" also deserve to have their privileges checked.

There is a happy middle ground where people try to put any existing biases and prejudices aside and try to understand what is going on.

We have all had that experience where somebody's hair brained scheme has made it to us to "just make it work" and it is missing all the important details. I can't help but get the feeling that this is playing a part in the sentiment here.

You are right that changing words is not going to end racism/hate/exclusion. There is no "simple solution". The hard truth is (as far as I understand it) it is "death by a thousand cuts", so removing one of the swords won't solve the problem - but removing them one by one will certainly help.

Comment

Working...
                      X