Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo To Certify Their Full ThinkPad/ThinkStation Line For Linux

Phoronix: Lenovo To Certify Their Full ThinkPad/ThinkStation Line For Linux

Back in April was the announcement that Lenovo would begin shipping some devices with Fedora Linux while now the story gets much juicier today...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Station-Linux

Lenove, please don't ship them with Nvidia GPUs only: I don't want bricks in my laptop.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

LOVE THIS.

This really goes a long way toward overcoming Linux "desktop" objections. I've been a Linux user since about 1999, and proper hardware support was always a big question mark.

I hope this a trend, and I suspect it is.

Comment

Nice! This is awesome news, I am big fan of Lenovo laptops especially. I also dont mind if they ship with Nvidia, I think they are bricks of performance gold... though its mostly because of GPU Compute.... if I was only gaming ATI would be carefully evaluated in my analysis.

Comment

Very awesome. A much needed change for making enterprise-tier Linux-porwered laptops more viable on the corporate side.

Comment

This is a big deal. I've purchased Thinkpads for years (even after IBM sold the brand to Lenovo). Most recently I went with a Dell XPS and the experience is not even close. Next laptop (which will likely be the Ryzen 4000 series, I'll be switching back to my first love: the Thinkpad.
            Last edited by maffblaster; 06-03-2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Great option for everyone who cares about privacy and security. Can't wait to buy one with Fedora.

Comment

This is great news. Phew, it really has taken long enough!

This might be the first time I can actually buy something... new.

Comment

This actually surprises me! This was not something I could even imagine some years ago...
                  Now HP, Dell, Lenovo and others are all selling computers with Linux pre-installed.
                  Now I just hope for more open source and less binary blobs and binary firmware.

Comment

Misleading title. It's not full Thinkpad line, only Thinkpad P. All Thinkpads would be really great though.

Our entire portfolio of ThinkStation and ThinkPad P Series workstations will now be certified via both Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Ubuntu LTS

Comment

Working...
                    X