Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debian Looks To Go More Social From Microblogging To A Federated Image+Video Platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    skeevy420 bah you just blue pill’ed. Ubuntu is the second largest upstream contributor to GNOME. Basic laws of physics prevents you from running the software on Arch before Canonical developed and QA’ed it on GNOME.

And this is also why user forums are isolated from developer tools. Devs don’t want to deal with Arch Boys.
    Debian is using 3.30. It isn't until you get to Sid that 3.36 becomes available. As someone who ran Sid for 6 years damn near, I know firsthand that it isn't something the average person should use and why Ubuntu is so successful -- they tame the beast.

But like I said, general Debian Gnome bugs aren't that relevant over at the Gnome Gitlab which is why there's a separate Debian Gnome Gitlab. Bleeding edge distributions, which I mentioned before and includes Sid, are more relevant there since they're using versions closer to master. I'm hoping the better collaboration of Debian and Ubuntu will help push Gnome updates to Debian Stable faster.

You've been taking too many blue and yellow purple pills

Comment

Someone should start social medias for marginalized desktops and their fragile users. A safe space where hurt feelings can get healed. Who knows, they might even start resurrecting Xorg or help out Devuan.
      Aren't you the fragile one.
      Every time we tell you the truth about GNOME you begin reacting badly.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
        Btw what IS an appropriate response when someone sees a trans person?
        the same as when you see any person.

How does one know that one sees a trans person?
        Not relevant.
        Why does it warrants a specially controlled response?
        it does not
        What's wrong with mine?
        It's ambiguous and could be read as mocking the person you linked. "LOL" is "lauging out loud" and then you have a link of this person.

Are you offended?
        No

It has to be cos posting a link with funny looking, say Donny, I'm pretty sure wouldn't have caused such reaction...
        It would have still tagged you as a childish asshole though. Pointing and laughing at people is rude, even if you think they look funny.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Gitlab sucks. Period. Horrible interface...

What you describe is the problem. When one joins a new community which one do they pick -- the mailing list, the forums, the IRC channels? What is the proper git client to use? Hub, Lab, something project specific like the AUR or COPR? Which readme does one pick? The one from the Wiki, the one in a Repo, the one in a GIt?

Or you have a way to combine all of that.
          You don't really need to have a wiki, documentation in the repo should be enough. As for git hosting, gitlab seems to be the only option right now, because nothing matches it in terms of features and UX. Github is still years behind, and also proprietary. And I think it's obvious that you start by reading the README in the repo, possibly pointing you to the CONTRIBUTING file.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

You don't really need to have a wiki, documentation in the repo should be enough. As for git hosting, gitlab seems to be the only option right now, because nothing matches it in terms of features and UX. Github is still years behind, and also proprietary. And I think it's obvious that you start by reading the README in the repo, possibly pointing you to the CONTRIBUTING file.
            It should be enough, but hardly ever is. "command --help" or "man command" is usually more helpful than most repo READMEs/documentation.

Anyways, from the position of someone who has two decades of Linux usage under their belt, some way to combine documentation, code, help, bugs, videos, random discussions, and more is welcomed. Jumping through hoops and needing to use 20 different services sucks major ass. Just look at all the accounts and services one needs to sign up for to be a Fedora contributor...then multiply that by a bunch because a lot of distributions are setup like that.

I've said this before and I'll say it again -- Y'all have forgotten what it's like when you're a less knowledgeable, new user who has likely only ever used Windows.

Have any of y'all ever pretended to be stupid and just followed a distribution's documentation? In my experiences, when the click, click, click, using automatic detection, click, click doesn't work, the documentation available is a mixed bag.

For a relevant and current example for me, outside of one forum post and some stashed away cliff-notes, the Fedora Silverblue installer will let you shoot yourself in the foot and won't even warn you about it. The BTRFS method is completely broke (on SB 31 & 32 at least) and Anaconda will allow one to pick and use mount points that will break OSTree/the atomic root (the latter is a cliff-note, the former is an obscure forum post/bug report).

If Fedora had their documentation, forums, etc all aligned then I wouldn't have had to install Fedora (Silverblue) 3 different times last week thinking I'm doing something wrong when the reality is, after doing a bunch of searching via Google, Forums, and Bugzilla, that their BTRFS method was/is broke. Didn't even have to pretend to be stupid there -- Silverblue is simply lacking in documentation with pertinent information spread all over the place which, in turn, makes it a not very welcoming OS to new, inexperienced users.

If I didn't have the experience that I do nor the willingness to figure my problems out, I wouldn't be posting this from Silverblue.

Comment

skeevy420 Discourse for user discussions. Gitlab for dev and dev discussions.

Needing an account for git related stuff, an account for forum related stuff, a Discourse account for live chats, a YouTube account for Videos, a Bugzilla account to report bugs, an email accounts for mailing lists, a wiki account to contribute documentation, another account for access to build services, and more IS THE PROBLEM. Y'ALL GOTTA QUIT SUGGESTING THE PROBLEM. IT IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE SOLUTION.

A lot of us are just tired of signing up for account after account after account because some jackass committee fired a shotgun at a chart of services to pick what to use for their distribution. IIRC, Fedora requires around 4 or 5 accounts. Arch needs at least 3. Manjaro? Theirs plus what Arch needs. Switch distributions? Likely gotta sign up for a few more accounts and services.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                It's ambiguous
                *whistles*

Comment

tildearrow I don’t know what kind of crusade you think you are leading? But people has asked you to stop. Personally I don’t care and I think your insult and rage is pretty telling

2017-2020 has been years where all big distributors consolidated on one desktop. Just like they previously consolidated on one kernel, one init etc.
                  I am just in the anti-GNOME-monopoly side!
                  The only one who I recall has told me to stop is chocolate, and even so I believe it is in your team, supporting your endless people.
                  Sure I got asked to stop once, but aren't you the one who has to stop?!!!! Everyone complains about your annoying behavior every single day, to the point it is getting annoying.

"I don't care, I don't care, I don't care"... Then don't respond! You feel in the need to respond because you want to defend your point!
                  *tries to push him away from the club*

You know what your second paragraph is so annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It should be enough, but hardly ever is. "command --help" or "man command" is usually more helpful than most repo READMEs/documentation.

Anyways, from the position of someone who has two decades of Linux usage under their belt, some way to combine documentation, code, help, bugs, videos, random discussions, and more is welcomed. Jumping through hoops and needing to use 20 different services sucks major ass. Just look at all the accounts and services one needs to sign up for to be a Fedora contributor...then multiply that by a bunch because a lot of distributions are setup like that.

I've said this before and I'll say it again -- Y'all have forgotten what it's like when you're a less knowledgeable, new user who has likely only ever used Windows.

Have any of y'all ever pretended to be stupid and just followed a distribution's documentation? In my experiences, when the click, click, click, using automatic detection, click, click doesn't work, the documentation available is a mixed bag.

For a relevant and current example for me, outside of one forum post and some stashed away cliff-notes, the Fedora Silverblue installer will let you shoot yourself in the foot and won't even warn you about it. The BTRFS method is completely broke (on SB 31 & 32 at least) and Anaconda will allow one to pick and use mount points that will break OSTree/the atomic root (the latter is a cliff-note, the former is an obscure forum post/bug report).

If Fedora had their documentation, forums, etc all aligned then I wouldn't have had to install Fedora (Silverblue) 3 different times last week thinking I'm doing something wrong when the reality is, after doing a bunch of searching via Google, Forums, and Bugzilla, that their BTRFS method was/is broke. Didn't even have to pretend to be stupid there -- Silverblue is simply lacking in documentation with pertinent information spread all over the place which, in turn, makes it a not very welcoming OS to new, inexperienced users.

If I didn't have the experience that I do nor the willingness to figure my problems out, I wouldn't be posting this from Silverblue.
                    The whole argument about end users doesn't apply, this is for contributors.

Comment

So Red Hat tried this, and gave up. Now Debian? With Ubuntu & Google (Android) as well?
                      If anyone could succeed, it'd be worthwhile trying to mass market these internet activities. The planet desperately needs this. Covid-19 and further environmental costs are now able to be overcome with internet technologies.

So many others have tried and are still trying in these social media: Skype, WeChat, WhatsApp, ...
                      If Debian succeeds, perhaps it might then spread to most other Linux derived operating systems. Debian is used as the base for more Linux operating systems than any other Linux foundation.

Comment

Working...
                      X