Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debian Looks To Go More Social From Microblogging To A Federated Image+Video Platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    What do developers need besides a simple communicator and e-mail? Social media is cancer, and it seems that people need it so much they'll launch pointless initiatives such as this one. I can't wait for their foundation to waste money on hiring social media managers.
    A lot. A system that integrates forums, email, video conferencing, git and similar vcs tools, ide's, build systems, build servers, and more is something that could be useful. The current method of "pick one of four text based communications methods", "use some build service for packages", "go here for videos", "go there for our documentation", "go yonder for video conference help", gets old fast.

Being able to wrap up a lot of the services they offer into one interface would be really nice. Just look at Fedora or OpenSUSE and all the different services they offer, all needing different accounts and you'll see where a multi-tool with one account to rule them all comes into play.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

A lot. A system that integrates forums, email, video conferencing, git and similar vcs tools, ide's, build systems, build servers, and more is something that could be useful. The current method of "pick one of four text based communications methods", "use some build service for packages", "go here for videos", "go there for our documentation", "go yonder for video conference help", gets old fast.

Being able to wrap up a lot of the services they offer into one interface would be really nice. Just look at Fedora or OpenSUSE and all the different services they offer, all needing different accounts and you'll see where a multi-tool with one account to rule them all comes into play.
      Or you just put up a page explaining everything, or just put that in the README in the repo. It's not that hard, and it's better to rely on mulitple services so that you can get partial functionality in case of an outage rather than centralizing things. Set up a gitlab instance or use one that already was set up, an IRC server (or channels on some server) and a mailing list. It's that easy.

Comment

So you think "lol and a link" is an appropriate response when someone sees a trans person?
        No but it's generic enough that it can be safely ignored.

Comment

So you think "lol and a link" is an appropriate response when someone sees a trans person?
          Sorry officer, that won't happen again! Just don't cancel me please...

Btw what IS an appropriate response when someone sees a trans person? How does one know that one sees a trans person? Why does it warrants a specially controlled response? What's wrong with mine? Are you offended? Is "she" offended? How does one know? How do you know? Is there a rulebook or something? Why is it a special rulebook for transpersons? It has to be cos posting a link with funny looking, say Donny, I'm pretty sure wouldn't have caused such reaction...

Tl;dr - your reaction is part of the problem.

Comment

Someone should start social medias for marginalized desktops and their fragile users. A safe space where hurt feelings can get healed. Who knows, they might even start resurrecting Xorg or help out Devuan.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Or you just put up a page explaining everything, or just put that in the README in the repo. It's not that hard, and it's better to rely on mulitple services so that you can get partial functionality in case of an outage rather than centralizing things. Set up a gitlab instance or use one that already was set up, an IRC server (or channels on some server) and a mailing list. It's that easy.
              Gitlab sucks. Period. Horrible interface...

What you describe is the problem. When one joins a new community which one do they pick -- the mailing list, the forums, the IRC channels? What is the proper git client to use? Hub, Lab, something project specific like the AUR or COPR? Which readme does one pick? The one from the Wiki, the one in a Repo, the one in a GIt?

Or you have a way to combine all of that.

Comment

skeevy420 Gitlab is all over now. GNOME, Freedesktop, Debian.. It’s pretty much like Meson. If you don’t do this on new projects then you are almost disqualifying yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post

Sorry officer, that won't happen again! Just don't cancel me please...

Btw what IS an appropriate response when someone sees a trans person? How does one know that one sees a trans person? Why does it warrants a specially controlled response? What's wrong with mine? Are you offended? Is "she" offended? How does one know? How do you know? Is there a rulebook or something? Why is it a special rulebook for transpersons? It has to be cos posting a link with funny looking, say Donny, I'm pretty sure wouldn't have caused such reaction...

Tl;dr - your reaction is part of the problem.
                  Try This:

Or nothing. That's my default response when seeing anyone.

Point at them and laugh isn't an appropriate response for any social group. The fact that you're defending "point at them and laugh" lets me know that you're likely a pretty shitty person IRL.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    skeevy420 Gitlab is all over now. GNOME, Freedesktop, Debian.. It’s pretty much like Meson. If you don’t do this on new projects then you are almost disqualifying yourself.
                    Doesn't change that Gitlab has a horrible interface.

Comment

skeevy420 Thank you for sharing your personal opinion. It was as uninteresting as my personal opinion. What matters are developer efficiency and that has evidently increased on Freedesktop and GNOME.

Comment

Working...
                      X