Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debian Looks To Go More Social From Microblogging To A Federated Image+Video Platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    What do developers need besides a simple communicator and e-mail? Social media is cancer, and it seems that people need it so much they'll launch pointless initiatives such as this one. I can't wait for their foundation to waste money on hiring social media managers.
    A lot. A system that integrates forums, email, video conferencing, git and similar vcs tools, ide's, build systems, build servers, and more is something that could be useful. The current method of "pick one of four text based communications methods", "use some build service for packages", "go here for videos", "go there for our documentation", "go yonder for video conference help", gets old fast.

Being able to wrap up a lot of the services they offer into one interface would be really nice. Just look at Fedora or OpenSUSE and all the different services they offer, all needing different accounts and you'll see where a multi-tool with one account to rule them all comes into play.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

A lot. A system that integrates forums, email, video conferencing, git and similar vcs tools, ide's, build systems, build servers, and more is something that could be useful. The current method of "pick one of four text based communications methods", "use some build service for packages", "go here for videos", "go there for our documentation", "go yonder for video conference help", gets old fast.

Being able to wrap up a lot of the services they offer into one interface would be really nice. Just look at Fedora or OpenSUSE and all the different services they offer, all needing different accounts and you'll see where a multi-tool with one account to rule them all comes into play.
      Or you just put up a page explaining everything, or just put that in the README in the repo. It's not that hard, and it's better to rely on mulitple services so that you can get partial functionality in case of an outage rather than centralizing things. Set up a gitlab instance or use one that already was set up, an IRC server (or channels on some server) and a mailing list. It's that easy.

Comment

So you think "lol and a link" is an appropriate response when someone sees a trans person?
        No but it's generic enough that it can be safely ignored.

Comment

So you think "lol and a link" is an appropriate response when someone sees a trans person?
          Sorry officer, that won't happen again! Just don't cancel me please...

Btw what IS an appropriate response when someone sees a trans person? How does one know that one sees a trans person? Why does it warrants a specially controlled response? What's wrong with mine? Are you offended? Is "she" offended? How does one know? How do you know? Is there a rulebook or something? Why is it a special rulebook for transpersons? It has to be cos posting a link with funny looking, say Donny, I'm pretty sure wouldn't have caused such reaction...

Tl;dr - your reaction is part of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Or you just put up a page explaining everything, or just put that in the README in the repo. It's not that hard, and it's better to rely on mulitple services so that you can get partial functionality in case of an outage rather than centralizing things. Set up a gitlab instance or use one that already was set up, an IRC server (or channels on some server) and a mailing list. It's that easy.
            Gitlab sucks. Period. Horrible interface...

What you describe is the problem. When one joins a new community which one do they pick -- the mailing list, the forums, the IRC channels? What is the proper git client to use? Hub, Lab, something project specific like the AUR or COPR? Which readme does one pick? The one from the Wiki, the one in a Repo, the one in a GIt?

Or you have a way to combine all of that.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post

Sorry officer, that won't happen again! Just don't cancel me please...

Btw what IS an appropriate response when someone sees a trans person? How does one know that one sees a trans person? Why does it warrants a specially controlled response? What's wrong with mine? Are you offended? Is "she" offended? How does one know? How do you know? Is there a rulebook or something? Why is it a special rulebook for transpersons? It has to be cos posting a link with funny looking, say Donny, I'm pretty sure wouldn't have caused such reaction...

Tl;dr - your reaction is part of the problem.
              Try This:

Or nothing. That's my default response when seeing anyone.

Point at them and laugh isn't an appropriate response for any social group. The fact that you're defending "point at them and laugh" lets me know that you're likely a pretty shitty person IRL.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                skeevy420 Gitlab is all over now. GNOME, Freedesktop, Debian.. It’s pretty much like Meson. If you don’t do this on new projects then you are almost disqualifying yourself.
                Doesn't change that Gitlab has a horrible interface.

Comment

skeevy420 Thank you for sharing your personal opinion. It was as uninteresting as my personal opinion. What matters are developer efficiency and that has evidently increased on Freedesktop and GNOME.
                  I agree, which is why I think a way that combines a lot of the communications methods would be useful.

I can't be the only one that thinks it's kind of dumb and unhelpful that bug reports and git issues aren't tied together.

So you're using a program, get an easily reproducible bug, post it to the git repo, and then someone tells you bugger off and post it elsewhere -- that's always shitty scenario.

But if Debian doesn't get it right by using an interface that more people like than dislike then we'll be back to square one.

How come no one has posted XKCD Standards yet? I feel that we're slipping. We're literally discussing various communications standards and how we can have another standard to rule them all. Fucking distractions

Comment

skeevy420 On Gitlab bug reports and git issues are tied together.
                    Are they Debian's bugs or Gnome's bugs

Just pointing out that that doesn't help Debian users any. Heck, it only really helps Arch, Fedora, and other bleeding edge users since we're the only ones running the newest software.

Comment

skeevy420 This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe Arch Boyism is the only bleeding edge. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and Debian’s Gitlab instance show how deep it goes.

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/psa-u...an-salsa/14900
                      I know that. Traditionally and currently they're using older packages compared to most everyone else. I'm just saying that if forums for both technical discussions and end-user level discussions, IRC, etc was all easily accessible...I guess from git since that's the closest thing we got to debian.social...that it would be a lot easier in the long run. It would be really nice if man pages, readmes, faqs, forums, ircs, mailing lists, how to videos, git pull requests, developer seminars, webisodes, and more were all available in one easy to use location. When there is service upon service upon service upon service it gets cluserfucky and daunting fast.

On a sidenote, I don't care for that style of website either. Pain in the ass since I can't use ctrl+f to search for stuf...it's something I find myself doing a lot on Fedora's pages since they use that style too. I'm getting old so shortcuts like ctrl+alt+f or / just don't hardwire like they used to

Comment

Working...
                      X