Systemd-Homed Merged As A Fundamental Change To Linux Home Directories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    Did you know that "Dr. Jekyll" is supposed to be pronounced "Jee-kəl", not "Jeh-kəl"? ...or that "LaTeX"and "LyX" are supposed to be pronounced "Laytek" and "Lick" because that "X" is supposed to be the Greek letter Chi?
    well, i will know how something should be pronounced when i hear it. and i will know how something should be written when i read it. and we are discussing the latter
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    As a species, we push for simplicity and consistency in communication by factoring out exceptions and spurious complexity.
    veteran unix admins species shows lack of ability to read documentation. simplicity would've resulted in "systemd"
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    People capitalize it as "SystemD" because "it's a proper noun, so it should start with a capital"
    no, they do it because their source of information is some garbage bin. i.e. when you know nothing about subject, your only hope is some unrelated analogy
    Last edited by pal666; 04 February 2020, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      nothing there proves that noone is sharing computers
      option where? in systemd build config?
      are you mad enough to compile it manually? option in your distro? ask your distro vendor or choose different one
      "everything is for admins while ends up to be a sophisticated tool for the desktop users" ?
      Whatever, do you feel better now?

Comment

well, i will know how something should be pronounced when i hear it. and i will know how something should be written when i read it. and we are discussing the latter
        They share a common root cause.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        veteran unix admins species shows lack of ability to read documentation.
        Humans show a lack of ability to read documentation.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        simplicity would've resulted in "systemd"
        No, because we're used to recognizing that "dosbox" is the command for "DOSBox", "firefox" is the command for "Firefox", "scummvm" is the command for "ScummVM", etc.

If you don't read the manual, you assume that "systemd" follows the same pattern when it's actually a weirdo outlier like "deviantArt".

Comment

• Writing names properly assumes either enough respect about subject matter or basic literacy.

When you cannot find something like 7 errors per 3 words on average, assume it's a case of no respect.

Either intentional - where poster is well aware of correct form but simply would write it incorrectly to piss someone off or unintentional where poster does not care enough to check for correct form..

Comment

• Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            If you don't read the manual, you assume that "systemd" follows the same pattern when it's actually a weirdo outlier like "deviantArt".
            well, my point was that people who didn't read its manual shouldn't be posting their garbage opinions on it

Comment

well, my point was that people who didn't read its manual shouldn't be posting their garbage opinions on it
              And my point is that history has shown that expecting people to read the manual to that degree is a failing strategy when combined with the human tendency to follow the herd.

Comment

Has not reading manuals or not using something in real ever been stopping factor over you expressing your own opinions? Worse, you generally abhor even common courtesy. Don't ask for respect when you are unwilling to give it. Social interactions simply don't work that way.

systemd manual? Show me comprehensive, up-to-date, well-formatted, easy to follow manual for this in the first place. Documentation, not that mess pretending to be manual up on systemd.io
                When you have a good manual/documentation - you don't need gazillion different howto's around the internet about how to do something with subject matter, it's explained right there, in the documentation.

Comment

Working...
                X