Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat vs. SUSE vs. Canonical Contributions To The Mainline Linux Kernel Over The 2010s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
    RedHat (IBM) owning Linux is a bad thing....
    That was my first reaction when I heard the news, but historically IBM has been a major Linux player and a big contributor, having committed more code than even Google. Also IBM POWER is the largest non-x86 server market, with IBM pushing RHEL on POWER pretty hard, even more than their own AIX from what I've seen. I can see where this acquisition makes business sense for IBM. Lets all just be thankful that HPE didn't buy Red Hat!!
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 29 January 2020, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      That was my first reaction when I heard the news, but historically IBM has been a major Linux player and a big contributor, having committed more code than even Google. Also IBM POWER is the largest non-x86 server market, with IBM pushing RHEL on POWER pretty hard, even more than their own AIX from what I've seen. I can see where this acquisition makes business sense for IBM. Lets all just be thankful that HPE didn't buy Red Hat!!
      It isn't the owner, it's the size of the influence. You want a situation with lots of equal players competing. When you have a situation where one group has a dominant control they will exert that control and extort and abuse that position. It happens in every market, it's just the nature of it.

Comment

the colors are all wrong. suse should've been green, redhat red and canonical purple

Comment

Originally posted by mikelpr View Post
          the colors are all wrong. suse should've been green, redhat red and canonical purple
          Colors are auto-generated but patches welcome.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mskarbek View Post

Upstart - dead
            Unity - dead
            MIR- dead (yes, I know that MIR is still developed but not in the originally intended form)
            AppArmor - don't even
            snap - we will see how this one will turn out but probably dead after all

Great effort.
            upstart- used even by redhat for many years, a new thing maybe better appear, everything dies some day.

mir- fails, was a better product than wayland at some time but ok the kde people don't want and kde is almost dead this days.

apparmor works like a charm, and since ubuntu uses it is the most used in linux world

snap- great thing for for apps, some things working better with snap others with flatpak, we can install both in the desktop for cloud and server snap is the only solution.

gain some brains

Comment

Working...
            X