Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat vs. SUSE vs. Canonical Contributions To The Mainline Linux Kernel Over The 2010s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat vs. SUSE vs. Canonical Contributions To The Mainline Linux Kernel Over The 2010s

Phoronix: Red Hat vs. SUSE vs. Canonical Contributions To The Mainline Linux Kernel Over The 2010s

After last week looking at the AMD/Intel/NVIDIA contributions to the mainline Linux kernel over the past number of years, there were reader requests for seeing how some of the top distributions compare namely Red Hat, SUSE, and Canonical...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Red Hat employees: 13,400 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat)
    Suse employees: 1750 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE)
    Canonical employees: ~650 (I work here, but Wikipedia says 443).

Obviously, I'm biased but might be nice to do some of these numbers per employee as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
      Obviously, I'm biased but might be nice to do some of these numbers per employee as well.
      There are many ways to look at contributions (and "how to lie with statistics"). The kernel is just one (arguably even a smaller) part of the entire Linux ecosystem as most people experience it. All of these companies have staff contributing to other areas, too, so if you are going to measure by employee, you might want to look at more than just the kernel. Yes, I understand that is nearly impossible to measure. Just like the other impossible to measure metric, which is value to the project (someone changing a typo may have value, but perhaps not as much as committing something entirely new, like wireguard).

That all said, these numbers as presented are interesting, as long as no one misunderstands what they are saying.

Comment

Be interesting to see stats on what part of the kernel these companies are mostly touching.

Could you do these graphs other parts of the system too? GNOME, systemd, mesa, dbus etc.

Comment

RedHat (IBM) owning Linux is a bad thing....

*Installs next project on Ubuntu Server*

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Linux isn't under a CLA so no one can "own it".

Comment

Yeah, but what about the overall commit output of Canonical when adding everything from the following projects that benefited the whole floss community :
              Upstart + Unity + MIR + AppArmor + snap (I'm sure I forget some) ?

That's where the overall effort paid off! Everyone should applaud their contribution.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
                Yeah, but what about the overall commit output of Canonical when adding everything from the following projects that benefited the whole floss community :
                Upstart + Unity + MIR + AppArmor + snap (I'm sure I forget some) ?

That's where the overall effort paid off! Everyone should applaud their contribution.
                Upstart - dead
                Unity - dead
                MIR- dead (yes, I know that MIR is still developed but not in the originally intended form)
                AppArmor - don't even
                snap - we will see how this one will turn out but probably dead after all

Great effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Linux isn't under a CLA so no one can "own it".
                  You sure?

Originally posted by mskarbek View Post

Upstart - dead
                  Unity - dead
                  MIR- dead (yes, I know that MIR is still developed but not in the originally intended form)
                  AppArmor - don't even
                  snap - we will see how this one will turn out but probably dead after all

Great effort.
                  RedHat (IBM) competes in mindshare and mindshare controls Linux.

Xgl - Killed by RedHat (AIGLX literally does the same thing and was total NIH)
                  Upstart - Killed by RedHat
                  Unity - Killed by RedHat
                  MIR - Killed by Redhat
                  AppArmor - ...
                  snap - ...

Monopolies are bad things, just look at chrome (opensource) flexing over the internet now that they have 90% market share. All I'm saying here is RedHat (IBM) is far too powerful for a healthy Linux ecosystem.
                  Last edited by k1e0x; 28 January 2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Then try to install it on ARM processor, because Intel and AMD actually have even more contribution to the kernel than Red Hat...
                    LWN.net : Statistics from the 5.4 development cycle

Comment

Working...
                    X