Linus Torvalds Doesn't Recommend Using ZFS On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
    I've never seen the point of ZFS when we have Btrfs...
    Well, a) BTRFS only supports RAID1 mirrors and tended to eat your data if running RAID5/6 and b) RedHat has removed it from the release branch and is no longer developing it.

So, the real question is, why would you use BTRFS at all? ZFS is mature, stable and doesn't eat your data. I'm guessing Linus's arguments are stemming from the blow up of him removing the undocumented system call (forget the details) from the kernel that tanks ZFS performance. However, I do agree, it'd be nice if Oracle released the licensing. However, OpenZFS (forked from the last open version of Sun ZFS under the CDDL and can't be re-licensed retro-actively) is now very diverged from Oracle ZFS which is 100% closed source now. You probably can't cross-mount anymore, but I've never tried.
    Last edited by rhavenn; 01-09-2020, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Yeah, ZFS ist stable but can't be used OOTB and lacks maintenance, Btrfs is in the kernel but still under development and loses data. Perfect match.

Comment

I'm a user of both. I'm not throwing shade at either.
        They both have very rich feature sets, but BTRFS is much more flexible, where ZFS is much more stable (at least with the more advanced features.)

And I don't know what Linus is talking about when he says "it has no real maintenance behind it either any more"
        https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pulse
        Last edited by doublez13; 01-09-2020, 06:29 PM.

Comment

and this is why i am keeping an eye on bcachefs...

ZFS has the issue of license and out of kernel.
          BTRFS has nasty architectural issues

Comment

A big Thank You to the ZFS On Linux Team!! I've been running it for YEARS on production systems and at home. And, always on recent kernels.

Auto snapshots have recovered data and files on several occasions, transparent compression makes running large databases on small/cheaper provisioned VMs possible, and on-the fly encryption keeps data safer.

Respect to Linus, but I recommend running ZFS On Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
              and this is why i am keeping an eye on bcachefs...
              I can't wait until it has feature parity in 15 years! #excited

Comment

meanwhile bcachefs development continues: https://www.patreon.com/bcachefs

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                  Reiser5 for the win! :P
                  Reiser5 is a Killer App!

Comment

no surprise there, never understood why people would want to risk their data on monstrous, out-of-tree storage fluff, especially given that modularity is king for maintainability and stability, and I would rather run a small FS codebase on an LVM layer, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Securitex View Post
                      Either Oracle or Microsoft (Members of Linux Foundations who pay Linux Foundation and hence pay Linus the salary) like it or not Canonical will be their competitor.
                      Yeh cause Canonical has such a great track record of successful products.

Comment

Working...
                      X