No announcement yet.

Linus Torvalds Doesn't Recommend Using ZFS On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and this is why i am keeping an eye on bcachefs...

ZFS has the issue of license and out of kernel.
    BTRFS has nasty architectural issues

Comment

A big Thank You to the ZFS On Linux Team!! I've been running it for YEARS on production systems and at home. And, always on recent kernels.

Auto snapshots have recovered data and files on several occasions, transparent compression makes running large databases on small/cheaper provisioned VMs possible, and on-the fly encryption keeps data safer.

Respect to Linus, but I recommend running ZFS On Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
        and this is why i am keeping an eye on bcachefs...
        I can't wait until it has feature parity in 15 years! #excited

Comment

meanwhile bcachefs development continues: https://www.patreon.com/bcachefs

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
            Reiser5 for the win! :P
            Reiser5 is a Killer App!

Comment

no surprise there, never understood why people would want to risk their data on monstrous, out-of-tree storage fluff, especially given that modularity is king for maintainability and stability, and I would rather run a small FS codebase on an LVM layer, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Securitex
                Either Oracle or Microsoft (Members of Linux Foundations who pay Linux Foundation and hence pay Linus the salary) like it or not Canonical will be their competitor.
                Yeh cause Canonical has such a great track record of successful products.

Comment

ZFS was created because Sun's volume manager and filesystem were crappy. Also, because Sun vehemently hated HW RAID controllers. Given that, it really, really made sense for Solaris and was "revolutionary" there (emphasis on "there"). On Linux, where a lot of those problems were solved a long time ago, it wasn't quite so revolutionary.

We were using it at one time at work. But ended up gutting it. Mainly because it didn't make sense with our architecture. It did not bring any real benefit and caused us some pain. YMMV.

Comment

The benchmarks I've seen do not make ZFS look all that great. And as far as I can tell, it has no real maintenance behind it either any more, so from a long-term stability standpoint, why would you ever want to use it in the first place?
                    Hmmm, this doesn't shine a very positive light on Linus. I always thought he made sense, he knows what he's doing and what's going on but this clearly shows he has no clue.
                    ​​​​​​​It won't matter in practice because of the license but Linux is missing out by being so hostile against ZFS.

Comment

All I want is something that can detect bit rot on single drives, without causing some other kind of calamity. I keep everything backed up every 15 minutes, and if I could simply detect bit rot I'd never lose data.

But there simply doesn't appear to be any supported and stable file system on Linux capable of performing that simple task. It's really a shame.

Comment

Working...
                      X