Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus Torvalds Doesn't Recommend Using ZFS On Linux

Phoronix: Linus Torvalds Doesn't Recommend Using ZFS On Linux

Linux kernel creator Linus Torvalds doesn't recommend using ZFS On Linux at least until Oracle were to re-license the code to make it friendly for mainline inclusion. But even then he doesn't seem turned on by the ZFS features or general performance...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...o-To-ZFS-Linux

Ouch.

Comment

Reiser5 for the win! :P

Comment

Originally posted by Securitex
        I don't trust a man (Linus) who thinks that because 15 is bigger than 9, so 4.15 i bigger than 4.9. And he is in charge. WTF?!
        The Linux version number isn't a decimal.

Comment

I don't trust a man (Linus) who thinks that because 15 is bigger than 9, so 4.15 i bigger than 4.9. And he is in charge. WTF?!
          You say 15 is not bigger than 9?
          So what is 15, 6?

Comment

I've never seen the point of ZFS when we have Btrfs...

Comment

Isn't that like saying Albert Einstein's math is untrustworthy because his desk is cluttered? You picked the most trivial unimportant thing about the person and dismissed the legacy of their entire career.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
                Well, a) BTRFS only supports RAID1 mirrors and tended to eat your data if running RAID5/6 and b) RedHat has removed it from the release branch and is no longer developing it.

So, the real question is, why would you use BTRFS at all? ZFS is mature, stable and doesn't eat your data. I'm guessing Linus's arguments are stemming from the blow up of him removing the undocumented system call (forget the details) from the kernel that tanks ZFS performance. However, I do agree, it'd be nice if Oracle released the licensing. However, OpenZFS (forked from the last open version of Sun ZFS under the CDDL and can't be re-licensed retro-actively) is now very diverged from Oracle ZFS which is 100% closed source now. You probably can't cross-mount anymore, but I've never tried.
                Last edited by rhavenn; 09 January 2020, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Yeah, ZFS ist stable but can't be used OOTB and lacks maintenance, Btrfs is in the kernel but still under development and loses data. Perfect match.

Comment

I'm a user of both. I'm not throwing shade at either.
                    They both have very rich feature sets, but BTRFS is much more flexible, where ZFS is much more stable (at least with the more advanced features.)

And I don't know what Linus is talking about when he says "it has no real maintenance behind it either any more"
                    https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pulse
                    Last edited by doublez13; 09 January 2020, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X