Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Still Aiming To Be The Apple Of The Linux Space With Software & Hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
    I would argue that there is a large enough niche for well designed software and hardware in the Linux community, only it has to be done right. Otherwise you end up with abominations like Gnome. Copying Apple UI design and UX is not as easy as it looks.
    Copying Apple is a bad idea. It seems that whenever someone tries to do that, they focus on bad rather than good, and you end up with over-exaggerated attempts at ripping off Apple, where only bad ideas are taken into consideration. If they decide to go full retard and solder in the SSD, and put a crypto chip that makes it impossible to even copy data off a dead laptop, and make sure only their software runs on it, the result will be a disaster. I assume this statement will make their brand dead to tech-savvy people who want to set up their preferred distro and simply expect hardware that's well supported. Oh wait, they put Nvidia GPUs into their laptops, so that demographic is looking elsewhere.

I assume that people who (seemingly) care about ease of use are willing to lock themselves into a crappy ecosystem, and ignore freedom and vendor lock-in, so they're fine with either running Windows or buying jewelry fruit computers.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
      I assume that people who (seemingly) care about ease of use are willing to lock themselves into a crappy ecosystem, and ignore freedom and vendor lock-in, so they're fine with either running Windows or buying jewelry fruit computers.
      That was precisely the point of my comment though - there are people who care about ease of use and aesthetics in the Linux community even if we are not a majority. If that weren't the case projects like Elementary and Gnome3 (misguided as it is) wouldn't exist.

Don't see how soldered down components and vendor lock-in relate to good design, so not responding to that part of your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
        Don't see how soldered down components and vendor lock-in relate to good design, so not responding to that part of your comment.
        They are quite important if you rely on your machine, especially to do work. I wouldn't want an Apple computer, simply because it's not possible to take storage out, put it into another machine, and resume work as usual. Not to mention, the longevity of hardware is severely reduced as well.

Also, the fact that everyone wants to make thin things is simply pathetic. Laptops overheat, and can't even fully utilize their hardware, which is simply sad.

Comment

They are quite important if you rely on your machine, especially to do work. I wouldn't want an Apple computer, simply because it's not possible to take storage out, put it into another machine, and resume work as usual. Not to mention, the longevity of hardware is severely reduced as well.

Also, the fact that everyone wants to make thin things is simply pathetic. Laptops overheat, and can't even fully utilize their hardware, which is simply sad.
          You're missing my point again. I'm only saying that there are people in Linux who care about design and aesthetics.

I am not arguing that electronics should not be repairable or lack adequate cooling so I really don't get why you're bringing it up. My initial comment wasn't even about hardware but about UI design, but I guess it equally applies to hardware - you could have repairability / adequate cooling and good design at the same time. One does not exclude the other.
          Last edited by msotirov; 08-19-2019, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Even more so in German.
            Also in Dutch if you don't pronounce the 'O' and 'S' separately (i.e. 'popos').

Comment

My sentiments exactly. Laptops CAN be light even if they are thicker. Too bad too many people like to treat their computer equipment as a fashion statement. Since I came in contact with enterprise hardware, I can't tolerate anymore consumer crap made to be as difficult as possible to repair.

Comment

Good lord I had almost forgotten how nitpicky some hardcore Linux users can be. No matter what kind of work a company does to advance desktop Linux, you'll still go through it with a fine toothed comb and look for things to whine about.

When they talk about being like Apple, they're referring to the one thing Apple does right: paying some blasted attention to user experience and making hardware and software that feels polished and functional without having to spend 5 hours googling and learning some arcane bullsh*t just to make a particular thing work correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by skerit View Post
                  When are they going to change the name? "Pop!_OS" makes it seem childish.
                  Exactly. Also, who names their OS after the theme it's using?

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
                    In Linux space, Apple is probably the last thing they want people to associate them with.
                    It depends upon them focusing on what Apple does right vs what Apple does wrong. If one focuses on joy on what Apple does wrong then you end up with a very biased opinion of the company. System 76 just needs to harvest the good practices of the company.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                      They could use common infrastructure for BIOS updates instead of their own. I can upgrade BIOS on Dell and ThinkPad laptops via fwupd.org, so it's astonishing to see that System76 does not cooperate with infrastructure that used by everybody else.
                      Why should System 76 be required to use any one bios update solution. That makes about as much sense as insisting that all scripting be done in BASH on Linux. Even more so it is like the idiots that insist that E-Mail must be text based. There is no need for this attitude in the Linux world.

Comment

Working...
                      X