No announcement yet.

GNOME Software Moving Forward With Disabling Snap Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they nail it with snap store I might only start using snaps. GNOME software is too clunky and slow.

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
      If they nail it with snap store I might only start using snaps. GNOME software is too clunky and slow.
      Ironically one of the reasons it's "too clunky and slow" is because of the plugin architecture which they have to keep to support snap. I'd rather they dump snap and just become a full fledged Flatpak/fwupd store.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Next on news: someone creates a solution to encompass Flatpak, AppImage and Snap, (part of) the community complains about bloat
        Bloat 2.0. You know you want it. Just not why.

Comment

The many Canonical failures were not enough to understand ... they just don't understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Ironically one of the reasons it's "too clunky and slow" is because of the plugin architecture which they have to keep to support snap. I'd rather they dump snap and just become a full fledged Flatpak/fwupd store.
            Plugin architectures are not inherently slow.

Comment

The article needs to be updated to show this is a Fedora decision to disable the plugin, not a Gnome decision.

The code has not (yet) been disabled upstream, it is just being proposed for Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Plugin architectures are not inherently slow.
                It's not but it's hard to make large changes when you have to keep support for them.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                  The article needs to be updated to show this is a Fedora decision to disable the plugin, not a Gnome decision.

The code has not (yet) been disabled upstream, it is just being proposed for Fedora.
                  IBM cuts

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

GNOME software is using 200mb of RAM on my fedora installation.
                    Also if Flatpak search is so much faster why don't they make it so that when you search Flatpak software is shown first and when dnf/apt software is found that search results update.

Comment

Can't say that I blame them. If the only user of "feature X" plans on developing "feature X" with their own software, drop "feature X" from your software.

Comment

Working...
                      X