No announcement yet.

GNOME Software Moving Forward With Disabling Snap Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snap has one advantage over flatpak: it creates links to a snap executable with snappy software name, so instead of "flatpak run com.example.coolapp" snapped apps can be runned as "coolapp".

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Yes, that's why Gnome software is slow: there are tons of performance-enhancing changes that are prevented by the Snap support
      Changing an app that supports plugins is no more complicated than changing any modular app (i.e. any decently written app).
      Are you perhaps hinting at the fact that GNOME software is slow because it was not "decently written"?
      It's impossible, good sir, you must be totally mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Main (and important) difference between the items in these couples is that one is good, while the other isn't.
        Powerplay pre-empted those things, taking away the natural evolution of open source software. And i would not call implementing FGLRX style driver "solutions" good.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
          Powerplay pre-empted those things
          Not really. As I said one of the two was inferior.

And i would not call implementing FGLRX style driver "solutions" good.
          It works better than trying to make a driver without any documentation about registers.

Given the environment, that's the only good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by kallisti5 View Post

RIP:
            • Snaps
            • upstart
            • mir
            • Unity
            • Ubuntu One
            • Ubuntu Phone
            Still alive and healthy:

Comment

GNOME and removing features, name a more iconic duo.

> There's also still no sandboxing support years after it was promised, which means on Fedora running a snap is no more secure than "wget -O - URL | bash", again much unlike Flatpak

Thats quite ironic, a lot of flatpaks come with security holes like --filesystem=home making them effectivly as unsecure as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by nslqqq View Post
                Thats quite ironic, a lot of flatpaks come with security holes like --filesystem=home making them effectivly as unsecure as it gets.
                It's talking of support though.

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post

Still alive and healthy:
                  With this logic, Hanna Montana Linux is "alive and healthy"

Comment

All I'm taking from this is that Canonical apparently aren't doing a very good job at all at interacting with major distros they're supposed to support in their cross-distro packaging system.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Arguably that's often a bad thing with Gnome, but I don't believe so this time. FAIK Ubuntu is the only distro using snaps,
                      Solus also runs snapd by default (but doesn't use it for regular packages yet) and recommends to install snaps for 3rd party software that can't be included in the main repos (e.g. Spotify). Granted, Solus has its own software center, but just saying Ubuntu is not the only distro wit OOTB snap support/recommendations.
                      And Manjaro also runs snapd by default.
                      Last edited by Vistaus; 11 July 2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X