GNOME Software Moving Forward With Disabling Snap Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

A feature very few outside of Ubuntu use.
    Manjaro also seems to be adding snap support out of the box.

I don't know what to think of all the different containers, I just know snaps pollute my
    Code:
    df -h
    output.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

IBM cuts
      Canonical drops

Comment

Originally posted by skerit View Post

Manjaro also seems to be adding snap support out of the box.

I don't know what to think of all the different containers, I just know snaps pollute my
        Code:
        df -h
        output.
        Yeah, but you need, well, Gnome Software Center (heh) or KDE Discover (rofl).

I love KDE, but Discover just sucks...mainly its search results... store.kde.com is easier to use.

Comment

So people here blame canonical? Not the fact that, as usual, mostly redhat people are gunning for the competition again?

Bitrot is a bullshit reason when ubuntu is synonymous with linux desktop these days (for most ordinary people).

This is no different from when intel graphics people were told to revert Mir support because the main wayland developers were then working for intel. Pure software fascism again, and we will all have less choice and less tested code because of it.

Incidentally, guess what happened with wayland at intel shortly after the dust settled after the Mir incident. Those people were moved away from wayland rather soon afterwards, beating canonical giving up on Mir by many years. Wayland still is not really that useful on the desktop today, 6 years on from that incident, nothing was solved by this action. If anything, the lack of competition for wayland has made development stall.

Comment

Also, notice the timing here:
            snap: december 2014: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snappy_(package_manager)
            flatpak: september 2015: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatpak

Similar timelines for upstart vs systemd, or kgraft versus kpatch, radeonhd vs radeon.

It's the same story, over and over again, and we keep on falling for it. And the redhat dominance is almost always achieved by pure powerplay.
            Last edited by libv; 11 July 2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Why are y'all surprised? Lets take a moment to remember yet another dead Ubuntu "we don't work across ecosystems" skunkworks project.

RIP:
              • Snaps
              • upstart
              • mir
              • Unity
              • Ubuntu One
              • Ubuntu Phone

Honestly, the difference is "Ubuntu does things for Ubuntu".
              Things like systemd and Flatpak are developed with an eye for crossdistro compatibility taking input from the community.

If you expect developers to support your thing, make it so all major linux distros are first class citizens. Easy.
              Last edited by kallisti5; 11 July 2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

It's not but it's hard to make large changes when you have to keep support for them.
                Yes, that's why Gnome software is slow: there are tons of performance-enhancing changes that are prevented by the Snap support
                Changing an app that supports plugins is no more complicated than changing any modular app (i.e. any decently written app).

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
                  That's just the initial release.

Linux application sandboxing and distribution framework - flatpak/flatpak

Comment

So people here blame canonical?
                    Isn't the plugin developed by Canonical and mostly used by Canonical stuff that is mostly used only by Canonical distro?

Who should we blame, aliens?

Comment

snap: december 2014: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snappy_(package_manager)

Similar timelines for upstart vs systemd, or kgraft versus kpatch, radeonhd vs radeon.
                      Main (and important) difference between the items in these couples is that one is good, while the other isn't.

Canonical isn't usually on the "item is good" side.

Comment

Working...
                      X