X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    In Linux:

1) you must learn shell
    Hold right there. There are several utilities that can resize ext4 and never require opening a shell.

Don't know what you're talking about. Ebay, various etailers and other classifieds sell OEM Windows licenses from dead motherboards which is perfectly legal.
    Shady Windows key sellers have been known to:
    • selling the same key to several customers
    • illegally gaining access to CoA sticker rolls and photographing them before they are placed on computers
    • selling keys from timed-limited volume licenses and MSDN
    • trading in education keys from Azure Dev Tools for Teaching (formerly Microsoft Imagine/DreamSpark)
    I've never heard of a single case
    That may be because you are generally not well informed about Linux, Windows, or computers at all.

It does happen in practice that Microsoft no longer accepts such keys for activation after a while.

Comment

wait a second, shouldn't bcachefs be rock solid?

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        He stated facts though.
        The fact is Linux' I/O and file system are superior to Windows. Not only throughput, but latency. Windows crawls when there's I/O activity. On Linux it's also sometimes noticeable, but it's a different thing. Birdie is example of exstinc species of astroturfers.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Hold right there. There are several utilities that can resize ext4 and never require opening a shell.
          Which utilities work with a root fs or mounted filesystems again? Yes, the user may boot from a bootable USB flash and run GParted in graphical mode but for that he must also learn some non-trivial things and also have a spare USB flash stick. Again, this is absolutely simple in Windows and doesn't require you to have anything or deeply understand anything.

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Shady Windows key sellers have been known to:
          • selling the same key to several customers
          • illegally gaining access to CoA sticker rolls and photographing them before they are placed on computers
          • selling keys from timed-limited volume licenses and MSDN
          • trading in education keys from Azure Dev Tools for Teaching (formerly Microsoft Imagine/DreamSpark)
          That may be because you are generally not well informed about Linux, Windows, or computers at all.

It does happen in practice that Microsoft no longer accepts such keys for activation after a while.
          Again, multiple people that I know have bought and used such "bad" Windows licenses. Not a single one has ever been revoked. Your anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

Speaking of your points:

* "selling the same key to several customers" - these won't allow to reactivate Windows automatically via the Internet (unless a certain quite long period of time passes, at the very least six months)
          * "illegally gaining access to CoA sticker rolls and photographing them before they are placed on computers" - considering the volume of licenses being sold you can't really do that in ... large volumes, no?
          * "timed-limited volume licenses" - these won't activate retail Windows releases.
          * "trading in education keys from Azure Dev Tools for Teaching " - I really doubt these licenses can be obtained in large volumes. Last time I checked they are given on a per person basis.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            wait a second, shouldn't bcachefs be rock solid?
            this is bcache, the cache filesystem bcachefs is based on.

Comment

Don't know what you're talking about. Ebay, various etailers and other classifieds sell OEM Windows licenses from dead motherboards which is perfectly legal.
              For those wondering if birdie is posting bullshit as usual:

OEM licenses are linked to the motherboard's unique ID code, you can't take the same license key and input it to activate a new motherboard as the ID won't match anymore.

Most modern OEM licenses from Windows 8 onwards are not even on a sticker anymore and are phisically written in the board firmware's SLIC tables. Extracting them from a dead system would require specialized hardware.

99.9999% of sellers, especially on Ebay are selling MSDN keys (they activate retail Windows and don't expire) or some other type of volume license bought by a large institution. This is of course illegal.

Also, sale of ANY OEM license regardless of its source is ILLEGAL. They are licenses to be sold to system integrators and OEMs, not end users.

The fact that MS isn't revoking the licenses does not mean they are legal. You can install Windows 10 without any fucking license at all and it will still work perfectly fine with only minor issues.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 15 May 2019, 05:48 AM.

Comment

I was hit by this a couple days ago. Sucked, but I had most things backed up and could restore the rest. This is the first time I had any issues with bcache, after using it for what has to be over five years now.

Comment

Which utilities work with a root fs or mounted filesystems again?
                  gparted (and parted from commandline) and KDE partition manager can online resize, as long as the filesystem does support the feature.

ext4 and xfs do support online enlarge for sure, btrfs supports everything, you can move it and resize it online.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    gparted (and parted from commandline) and KDE partition manager can online resize, as long as the filesystem does support the feature.
                    Don't bother replying to me - I don't see your messages anyway. Now on to your egregiously false statement. No, you cannot resize mounted ext4 volumes. In Linux, on a normally booted/running system, you cannot unmount root fs (technically you can but it's near impossible for 99% of people out there). Nice try but try harder.

Speaking of Windows. OEM Windows 10 license costs measly $100 which people even in the third world countries are able to afford. But you can install Linux and have sex with it as long as you don't value your time.

Comment

Now on to your egregiously false statement. No, you cannot resize mounted ext4 volumes.
                      I said enlarge, and ext4 does support online enlarging. And I did this many times with gparted. And firmwares like Armbian do it all the time.

For the reading-challenged, I said:

ext4 and xfs do support online enlarge for sure, btrfs supports everything, you can move it and resize it online.

this is an example of doing this with a commandline tool, but gparted can also do the same (as it's just a frontend for the same tool)
                      https://www.systutorials.com/5621/ex...-lvm-in-linux/

Extend the ext4 file system
                      The resize2fs (manual) can resize an ext4 file system on-line to use all available disk capacity. We can resize the /home mounted by:

resize2fs /dev/vg/lv_home

It will prints output like follows if it executes successfully
                      resize2fs 1.42.9 (4-Feb-2014) Filesystem at /dev/vg/lv_home is mounted on /home; on-line resizing required
                      old_desc_blocks = 18, new_desc_blocks = 77
                      The filesystem on /dev/vg/lv_home is now 319283200 blocks long.

You can use df -hT to check the file system’s available capacity and start to saving more files under /home now.

OEM Windows 10 license costs measly $100
                      Pfft, you're the usual fucking loser. Buy illegal OEM licenses from ebay sellers at 5$ a pop, they are available since Windows 7 was a thing. They send you the license key within hours in an email. No issues, and even if they decided to block it, it's 5$, so who cares.

which people even in the third world countries are able to afford.
                      Yes, 100$ is very affordable in third world countries, can confirm (hint: it's bullshit).
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 15 May 2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X