Windows 10 October 2018 Update, Windows Server 2019 Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    It may shock us men of culture, but there are companies that actually sell filtered glasses to filter out the eye-straining part of the display lamp you have to keep at 100% because the display panel sucks. Just google "blue light blocking glasses".
    if you screen is too blue, correct search term is "color management"

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
      As for Office, frankly, I don't want their macro virus compatibility.
      it is not for you, it is for everyone who needs msoffice and thus needs mswindows

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        if you screen is too blue, correct search term is "color management"
        That's not what "blue light" means in their narrative. Color management changes the color of the pixels, but the glasses are for the LCD backpanel's "harmful light" that shines through.

It's bs I know, but that's what they believe.

Comment

which you can't really, you know. well, i mean outside of ms advertisements. show me screenshot of gnome running in wsl
          Well, if you're going to complain about the "young" people with their emojis, then turn your nose up at the focus on command-line applicatiosn then I'm not entirely sure what your overall issue is. For the record, you _can_ pipe x through WSL: https://github.com/QMonkey/wsl-tutorial

WSL not good enough? Why not just spin up Ubuntu in a VM? There's another area Microsoft put a lot of effort into, it's now a 3-click process and has similar "enhanced session" functionality to Windows VM's, all as part of Windows itself: https://blogs.windows.com/buildingap...-quick-create/

I've been using this myself and it has been very helpful. I no longer need to bother with Virtual Box or pay for a VMWare license.

even wsl commandline accessed via ssh is unusable
          "unusable" how? I'm not even sure what you mean by wsl commandline[sic] accessed via ssh, what are you SSHing to and from and what are the issues you're encountering that makes it "unusable"?

every editor had this trivial feature 20 years ago
          And? What's your point? It was a really minor annoyance that was easily dealt with by installing another text editor, yet they still went and fixed it. 20 years too late sure, but the point is that Microsoft from 20 years ago is a different beast.

answer was already mentioned in this thread. people want no vendor lock-in. where is msoffice for linux?
          Okay there's two points here really. You don't want vendor lock-in? That's cool, that's why .net is now fully open source, that's why Windows has built-in support for containers, that's why VS Code and SQL Data Studio are fully cross platform. VS Code is genuinely one of the best code editors out there and it's open-source and cross platform, but hey because you don't have Office on Linux, that's a deal breaker? Fine, use Office Online on whatever browser you want.

The point is if you want, you can write whatever software you want for whatever platform you want on whatever platform you want. Don't want to run Windows? Great! Don't. You don't have to. Everything that matters these days works on any platform that matters. They've even invested heavily into Kubernetes, both in Windows and Azure. You can write a containerised app, chuck it on Azure then move it over to GCloud or AWS whenever you want and Microsoft is doing nothing to stop you.

wsl is not interoperate with linux. wsl is to run more software on windows. but nobody wants windows in the first place. ms should make its software available on other oses
          As I mentioned above, you have VS Code, SQL Data Studio, etc. SQL Server now runs on Linux, asp.net runs on Linux, Microsoft's cloud devops platform allows you to run agents on Linux, Azure has 1st part support for Linux. What more do you want? Is it literally just office?

Comment

i'm not sure what are you smoking. the only reason to use windows is to run old proprietary wintel apps. which can't be run on arm64, so windows on arm64 will be as successful as windows on arm rt ( WART )
            Non-smoker here, thank you! Your assumptions are no longer true, and I think you have missed recent developments by Microsoft to get ARM64 to work on their OS. Especially old x86 software does run pretty good now on their WoW emulation infrastructure. Of course this is not as good as having native software. But they have realized from past mistakes that they needed a bridge technology. There are still a lot of limitations though which makes emulation somewhat impractical right now (e.g. no support of x64 apps). But they have to start somewhere and were lobbying to make it as easy as possible for the developers to recompile their source code for ARM64. Of course I can't tell if they will be successful with this strategy and it depends on good execution and a lot of other factors, competitive ARM CPUs designed for desktop usage (Snapdragon 1000 / Cortex-A76) as well as a better software infrastructure for ARM on Windows being just two of them. The TAM should be still far higher for the WINTEL ecosystem, sure. But I think Microsoft realized that there is an opporturnity with the ARM CPU ISA. Thanks to the stalemate of the last decade in x86 technology there is a new emerging player. And if they don't want to lose this potentially growing market to other OSes, they needed to do something about it. If it turns out to be beneficial for the user remains to be seen, but I welcome any competition to get better products in the end. I have to admit that the chance of failure for them is also pretty high.

I also get the irony that Windows itself is in dire need of modernization under the hood and I'd very much like to see Linux to succeed here, but at least for my needs Linux is still years away to conquer the desktop, especially for gaming. There is still way too much tinkering needed and breaking changes are far too often (albeit Windows 10 is regressing on this front, too - the 1809 update broke the build of a family member and just had to deal with the fallout).

If you are interested to learn more about Windows 10 on ARM, here is a Video from BUILD 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdYIaUeZnqc

By the way, it was funny to see Microsoft acknowledging that they could benefit from easy recompiling of open source software for ARM64. Will they embrace open source software even more in the future?
            Last edited by ms178; 04 October 2018, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I remember his post history and I'm of a different opinion, but let's leave it as that.

[...]

You said MS became a opensource company just by virtue of buying Github, so it's you who should back it up.
              Actually I was bitterly ironic, however it is not me but all the specialized press threats M$ like it was Red Hat or Novell, like it was an open source advocate. And if you ask to any reporter they repeat always the same: this is not new but this is started while ago...
              Hence buying GitHub was another step to build up a new facade as well as taking somehow control (at least indirectly) of many open source projects.

But eventually it is still the same M$, a reliable gate of malwares:

https://appuals.com/phishing-attack-...rom-microsoft/

With a sincerely passion for the patent trolling:

http://techrights.org/2018/10/04/pat...oft-enforcers/

Last edited by Danielsan; 04 October 2018, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                Hence buying GitHub was another step to build up a new facade as well as taking somehow control (at least indirectly) of many open source projects.
                I still don't see how that would work to build a new facade outside of their propaganda machine.

Also no they have exactly 0 control over the opensource projects on github, just like they have 0 control over stuff in Azure.

Comment

i'm not sure what are you smoking. the only reason to use windows is to run old proprietary wintel apps. which can't be run on arm64, so windows on arm64 will be as successful as windows on arm rt ( WART )
                  No, you don't need Windows for that, unless they don't run well in Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    No, you don't need Windows for that, unless they don't run well in Wine.
                    The amount of applications that run well in Wine is not comparable to thje ones that run well in the $windows_version the application was released on.

Comment

The amount of applications that run well in Wine is not comparable to thje ones that run well in the $windows_version the application was released on.
                      You'd be surprised how many work just fine and it improves over time. Sure there's many which don't work, but personally like 9 out of 10 work for me. My needs can't be that unique...

That said, when people complain about Wine it's usually something like Office or Photoshop (though even Photoshop "old versions", which was the point, work fine btw) or REALLY old apps (which frankly some work much better on Wine than on newer Windows versions due to how old they are and using undocumented hacks). Those applications may be used by a large amount of people, but they are still only a couple of applications. Office is just a suite of apps, it's not "the majority" but rather a tiny minority in the entire app ecosystem.

(NOT talking about games, let's leave those off here, just normal applications)

Comment

Working...
                      X