Windows 10 October 2018 Update, Windows Server 2019 Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    ^ This. Displays set to max brightness is quite common, and oblivious users think changing the colors is the solution. They may as well suggest wearing sunglasses to view a max-brightness display, it's the same silly thing.
    It may shock us men of culture, but there are companies that actually sell filtered glasses to filter out the eye-straining part of the display lamp you have to keep at 100% because the display panel sucks. Just google "blue light blocking glasses".

It's mind boggling.

FWIW my display is set to just 25% brightness and that's perfect for both day and night viewing. Dell Professional IPS 24" 1920x1200.
    Same. My LG 32' widescreen IPS screen is at around 20% brightness, same for my work laptop with an IPS screen.

I only have to ramp up brightness when I'm in direct sunlight.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
    I remember his post history and I'm of a different opinion, but let's leave it as that.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      As much as I would love for this to be true, I'll reserve judgement for the day MS Office is available for Linux.
      Jupiter Broadcasting did several.podcasts about it, with interviews of high-up Microsoft folks. "Chris Goes to Microsoft", of iirc their Coder Radio program, is one of them.

As for Office, frankly, I don't want their macro virus compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

No way man... You had better to direct this question to Microsoft itself, I am still wondering the same thing like you.
        You said MS became a opensource company just by virtue of buying Github, so it's you who should back it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          I always wonder how do you guys find black themes "less eyestrain" when they literally make me have after-images of text printed on my vision for a while. (i.e. they're very bad/straining, contrast is just too high)
          Too big text. You must use smaller, slimmer text. Also not pure white text, better if slightly grayish.

Look at Steam client and take notes as that's probably the best example of such black theme for crappy screens I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
            1803 Still won't boot on one of my machines, hopefully the new version works and I am able to skip 1803 altogether. For now it's stuck on 1709.
            linux is not ready for desktop, don't forget it

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
              The hard work nowadays is centered around their Core OS initiative and getting their OS / software ported to ARM64. It is still a bit off until the average user will see fruits of that labour and if it is any good anyway. Their UWP centric approach and getting rid of Win32 makes me a bit nervous that they become more Apple-like in the end, this is not what I would like to see. Albeit having an ARM alternative to the Intel-centric desktop world could be exciting if it performs well and is more cost effective.
              i'm not sure what are you smoking. the only reason to use windows is to run old proprietary wintel apps. which can't be run on arm64, so windows on arm64 will be as successful as windows on arm rt ( WART )

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                OLED's lack of backlight makes white-on-black more readable and healthier at all degrees of room illumination.
                it has nothing to do with readability or healthiness. it has to do with power usage: more dark area -> less power is consumed by leds. unlike lcd which have backlight even when you only need to light few pixels

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
                  Dark theme support is great, as someone who programs for 8 hours a day some times. White sucks. It strains your eyes, it's impossible to start working at 2AM comfortably, and it's just the worst theme option.
                  lol, you monitor has brightness control, reduce it to something sane. white can't strain your eyes when it is not bright. as someone who programs for more than 8 hours a day some times

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Yes, it's one of the most important things in the latest MacOS update.
                    it looks like they are cloning fedora. gnome3 was dark as long as i remember it

Comment

Originally posted by Kushan View Post
                      Microsoft has put a _lot_ of neat functionality into Windows these days, including the Windows Subsytem for Linux, you know, so you can run fully-fledged Linux applications without weird emulation hacks.
                      which you can't really, you know. well, i mean outside of ms advertisements. show me screenshot of gnome running in wsl
                      They had to make the Windows command prompt actually work to support this,
                      even wsl commandline accessed via ssh is unusable
                      This update also makes notepad recognise Linux line endings.
                      every editor had this trivial feature 20 years ago
                      I don't really know what people want from Microsoft these days
                      answer was already mentioned in this thread. people want no vendor lock-in. where is msoffice for linux?
                      , Ballmer is long gone and Microsoft is at least making an effort to make Windows interoperate with Linux.
                      wsl is not interoperate with linux. wsl is to run more software on windows. but nobody wants windows in the first place. ms should make its software available on other oses

Comment

Working...
                      X