Librem 5 Development Boards Won't Be Shipping Now Until At Least August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
    What are you smoking? Look at the contributor list of GTK. It's all for-profit organizations. Gnome as a whole is highly Red Hat centric.
    The fact that people from different corporations contribute to Gnome and GTK does not cancel those are non-profit projects, it is not so complicated to understand:

GTK+ is free software and part of the GNU Project. (...)

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
      non-profit? ethical? what are you talking about, they are both free software under the GPL and that counts...
      This is valid for you while others have a different opinion and you had better to respect different point of views instead of blatantly non-sense, for example:

By the way I stop here.
      Last edited by Danielsan; 17 July 2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vortex View Post

I bet they will run out of $$$, and we will never see any product at all.
        That's my bet as well

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post

What are you smoking? Look at the contributor list of GTK. It's all for-profit organizations. Gnome as a whole is highly Red Hat centric.
          RedHat, like other for-profit corporations, use GPL projects. They also see a benefit in devoting resources to the development of the respective projects. It's important to notice this, and to know this; although, these discussions have occurred many times, which you can find online elsewhere or here even. If the GPL licenses are to be adhered to, changes to the source code must be contributed back to the community, depending on the license or changes (again, plenty of details around this online). There can also be a case made that a project's future plans/trajection is influenced or even determined by those who are most active; whether it's directly through collaborative meetings and plans, or indirectly through the code itself. The "ethical" aspect here comes from the copyleft implementation and adherence; namely, the source code is open for review by those who use it, among other things.

Last edited by azdaha; 17 July 2018, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Last I heard from purism, their development boards shipment was postponed from June, 2018 to September, 2018. While many valid points were already made in this thread about the complexity of the undertaking, I don't see how/why the development boards couldn't be shipped by the latest revision date. As for the finished/consumer products, that might be a discussion for a different day/thread.

Comment

Originally posted by azdaha View Post

RedHat, like other for-profit corporations, use GPL projects. They also see a benefit in devoting resources to the development of the respective projects. It's important to notice this, and to know this; although, these discussions have occurred many times, which you can find online elsewhere or here even. If the GPL licenses are to be adhered to, changes to the source code must be contributed back to the community, depending on the license or changes (again, plenty of details around this online). There can also be a case made that a project's future plans/trajection is influenced or even determined by those who are most active; whether it's directly through collaborative meetings and plans, or indirectly through the code itself. The "ethical" aspect here comes from the copyleft implementation and adherence; namely, the source code is open for review by those who use it, among other things.
              I don't disagree with your points. I only disagree with Danielsan's point that GTK is somehow more ethical and more non-profit than Qt and that's supposedly the reason why Purism chose it. That's like saying Fedora or Centos aren't non-profit because they are related to Red Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by azdaha View Post
                But GTK+ is not strictly GPL software. It is licensed under LGPL 2.1 which is the same license that Qt uses.

Comment

Working...
                X