Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Librem 5 Development Boards Won't Be Shipping Now Until At Least August

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brix
    replied
    Originally posted by azdaha View Post
    RedHat, like other for-profit corporations, use GPL projects. They also see a benefit in devoting resources to the development of the respective projects. It's important to notice this, and to know this; although, these discussions have occurred many times, which you can find online elsewhere or here even. If the GPL licenses are to be adhered to, changes to the source code must be contributed back to the community, depending on the license or changes (again, plenty of details around this online). There can also be a case made that a project's future plans/trajection is influenced or even determined by those who are most active; whether it's directly through collaborative meetings and plans, or indirectly through the code itself. The "ethical" aspect here comes from the copyleft implementation and adherence; namely, the source code is open for review by those who use it, among other things.
    But GTK+ is not strictly GPL software. It is licensed under LGPL 2.1 which is the same license that Qt uses.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by azdaha View Post

    RedHat, like other for-profit corporations, use GPL projects. They also see a benefit in devoting resources to the development of the respective projects. It's important to notice this, and to know this; although, these discussions have occurred many times, which you can find online elsewhere or here even. If the GPL licenses are to be adhered to, changes to the source code must be contributed back to the community, depending on the license or changes (again, plenty of details around this online). There can also be a case made that a project's future plans/trajection is influenced or even determined by those who are most active; whether it's directly through collaborative meetings and plans, or indirectly through the code itself. The "ethical" aspect here comes from the copyleft implementation and adherence; namely, the source code is open for review by those who use it, among other things.
    I don't disagree with your points. I only disagree with Danielsan's point that GTK is somehow more ethical and more non-profit than Qt and that's supposedly the reason why Purism chose it. That's like saying Fedora or Centos aren't non-profit because they are related to Red Hat.

    Leave a comment:


  • azdaha
    replied
    Last I heard from purism, their development boards shipment was postponed from June, 2018 to September, 2018. While many valid points were already made in this thread about the complexity of the undertaking, I don't see how/why the development boards couldn't be shipped by the latest revision date. As for the finished/consumer products, that might be a discussion for a different day/thread.

    Leave a comment:


  • azdaha
    replied
    Originally posted by msotirov View Post

    What are you smoking? Look at the contributor list of GTK. It's all for-profit organizations. Gnome as a whole is highly Red Hat centric.
    RedHat, like other for-profit corporations, use GPL projects. They also see a benefit in devoting resources to the development of the respective projects. It's important to notice this, and to know this; although, these discussions have occurred many times, which you can find online elsewhere or here even. If the GPL licenses are to be adhered to, changes to the source code must be contributed back to the community, depending on the license or changes (again, plenty of details around this online). There can also be a case made that a project's future plans/trajection is influenced or even determined by those who are most active; whether it's directly through collaborative meetings and plans, or indirectly through the code itself. The "ethical" aspect here comes from the copyleft implementation and adherence; namely, the source code is open for review by those who use it, among other things.

    Last edited by azdaha; 17 July 2018, 11:16 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by vortex View Post

    I bet they will run out of $$$, and we will never see any product at all.
    That's my bet as well

    Leave a comment:


  • Danielsan
    replied
    Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
    non-profit? ethical? what are you talking about, they are both free software under the GPL and that counts...
    This is valid for you while others have a different opinion and you had better to respect different point of views instead of blatantly non-sense, for example:

    By the way I stop here.
    Last edited by Danielsan; 17 July 2018, 05:12 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Danielsan
    replied
    Originally posted by msotirov View Post
    What are you smoking? Look at the contributor list of GTK. It's all for-profit organizations. Gnome as a whole is highly Red Hat centric.
    The fact that people from different corporations contribute to Gnome and GTK does not cancel those are non-profit projects, it is not so complicated to understand:

    GTK+ is free software and part of the GNU Project. (...)

    Leave a comment:


  • ZeroPointEnergy
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    I am quite bewildered to notice that you have not idea what means non-profit as well as ethic. Purism is an ethical company for its status and nature (https://puri.sm/about/social-purpose/), from their perspective, I assume, the GTK is a better choice than the Qt because the latter is developed from a corporation instead another non-profit organization like Gnome. Qt libraries in the past had issue because their policy about licenses was opaque, even though they resolved those issues I still believe for a full 100% free and independent project GTK is still the first choice as well as any other widget libraries that are developed by a non-profit organization.
    non-profit? ethical? what are you talking about, they are both free software under the GPL and that counts...

    ...and of course that they are vegan. Who cares if the free software if produced by an ethical non-profit corporation if it is not vegan? /s

    Did I already mention that I only run Arch?

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    ... 100% free and independent project GTK is still the first choice as well as any other widget libraries that are developed by a non-profit organization.
    What are you smoking? Look at the contributor list of GTK. It's all for-profit organizations. Gnome as a whole is highly Red Hat centric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Danielsan
    replied
    I am quite bewildered to notice that you have not idea what means non-profit as well as ethic. Purism is an ethical company for its status and nature (https://puri.sm/about/social-purpose/), from their perspective, I assume, the GTK is a better choice than the Qt because the latter is developed from a corporation instead another non-profit organization like Gnome. Qt libraries in the past had issue because their policy about licenses was opaque, even though they resolved those issues I still believe for a full 100% free and independent project GTK is still the first choice as well as any other widget libraries that are developed by a non-profit organization.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X