Librem 5 Development Boards Won't Be Shipping Now Until At Least August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    I still think they're idiots for not going with the half-finished plasma mobile, and instead half baking their own stuff...
    The gnome stack was nowhere near ready for this usecase.
    As they pursue an ethical approach for their products the GTK+ libraries & widgets are more suitable for this scope than the QT as the former are developed by a no-profit foundation.
    Last edited by Danielsan; 17 July 2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
      I still think they're idiots for not going with the half-finished plasma mobile, and instead half baking their own stuff...
      The gnome stack was nowhere near ready for this usecase.
      I'm actually glad they're doing this. While I love Plasma on the desktop, what I've seen so far from plasma-mobile is just awful. Takes up waaaay too much space on the screen, strange lay-out, the horrible Kirigami nested submenus... thanks, but no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
        As they pursue an ethical approach for their products the GTK+ libraries & widgets are more suitable for this scope than the QT as the former are developed by a no-profit foundation.
        I'm going to assume that you meant Qt here and not QuickTime.

Isn't GTK+ and Qt both primarily developed by people getting paid to work on them? And based on the need of their employers?

Comment

Originally posted by Brix View Post

I'm going to assume that you meant Qt here and not QuickTime.

Isn't GTK+ and Qt both primarily developed by people getting paid to work on them? And based on the need of their employers?
          Do you know the meaning of non-profit?

Comment

Do you know the meaning of non-profit?
            Since when is Red Hat a non profit? Look at the commits to the Linux kernel itself – most of it is Intel, AMD, Red Hat, SUSE, Valve etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
              I'd love to see them hit their target, but I would be so surprised to see the finished product in January. I'd even be surprised if they shipped by January 2020. My guess is the first phones will be sent out in the second half of 2020.
              I bet they will run out of $$$, and we will never see any product at all.

Comment

What ethical principle are you pointing towards? I don't see why profit-seeking alone should be considered either ethical or unethical.

Purism are themselves a profit seeking company.

It's also worth nothing that there are non-profit organisations out there that do horrible things. e.g. certain cults or groups of people seeking to destroy peaceful groups that have different beliefs or lifestyles to themselves.

Two individuals performing a well informed trade can both profit from a trade and both be left better of than before the trade occurred.

Purism do seem to be a company that is concerned with benefiting humanity and acting ethically, but I highly doubt that their reason for choosing GTK+ has anything to do with an ethical belief related to profit. It's more likely it just serves their needs better or their developers are already more familiar with it than QT or their developers favour C over C++ or they prefer the design-approach of GTK+. It could be something else entirely.

Comment

I am quite bewildered to notice that you have not idea what means non-profit as well as ethic. Purism is an ethical company for its status and nature (https://puri.sm/about/social-purpose/), from their perspective, I assume, the GTK is a better choice than the Qt because the latter is developed from a corporation instead another non-profit organization like Gnome. Qt libraries in the past had issue because their policy about licenses was opaque, even though they resolved those issues I still believe for a full 100% free and independent project GTK is still the first choice as well as any other widget libraries that are developed by a non-profit organization.

Comment

... 100% free and independent project GTK is still the first choice as well as any other widget libraries that are developed by a non-profit organization.
                    What are you smoking? Look at the contributor list of GTK. It's all for-profit organizations. Gnome as a whole is highly Red Hat centric.

Comment

I am quite bewildered to notice that you have not idea what means non-profit as well as ethic. Purism is an ethical company for its status and nature (https://puri.sm/about/social-purpose/), from their perspective, I assume, the GTK is a better choice than the Qt because the latter is developed from a corporation instead another non-profit organization like Gnome. Qt libraries in the past had issue because their policy about licenses was opaque, even though they resolved those issues I still believe for a full 100% free and independent project GTK is still the first choice as well as any other widget libraries that are developed by a non-profit organization.
                      non-profit? ethical? what are you talking about, they are both free software under the GPL and that counts...

...and of course that they are vegan. Who cares if the free software if produced by an ethical non-profit corporation if it is not vegan? /s

Did I already mention that I only run Arch?

Comment

Working...
                      X