2017 Has Been The First Year In A Decade Without A Major X.Org Server Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    I'm excited about a new Xorg release because of the new features supporting Wayland.
    I still stick with Xorg even as a Debian testing user but Wayland is still such a bad experience nothing works really well with it...

Comment

I'm waiting for next release to use wayland on my desktop pc, because I think it will include fixes to use wacom tablet for apps running over xwayland (eg. krita).

On my laptop I'm using wayland now, it works well on archlinux with gnome 3.26.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        The mouse input lag and poor gaming experience on my RX 480 stops me from using Wayland on Ubuntu 17.10 GNOME. But I'm very happy on Xorg right now, it's super smooth.

Anyone have any updates on when the input lag, etc will be addressed in Wayland?
        Maybe you should try a better Distro to start off. Since my switch to manjaro i'm using wayland on all of my machines (gnome). Also with RX480 (Sapphire), R9 380, R7 240. All of them came with bad performance on UbuntuCore distros. And now i'm happily playing around with steam. No input lag, minimal stuttering in some games and really happy about that performance.

Comment

The mouse input lag and poor gaming experience on my RX 480 stops me from using Wayland on Ubuntu 17.10 GNOME. But I'm very happy on Xorg right now, it's super smooth.

Anyone have any updates on when the input lag, etc will be addressed in Wayland?
          No need to rush to Wayland if it's not 100% working for you yet

That being said, on Ubuntu 17.10, Gnome on Wayland (RX 460 4GB) does feel less snappy than on Manjaro (RX 480 8 GB). However, I don't use the Ubuntu box for gaming, so that's fine for me. On the Manjaro box that I use for gaming, I see no difference between the two - only the fact that Wayland prevents two games that inexplicably tear for me from tearing so I quite enjoy using it.

I think much has to to do with the fact that Ubuntu isn't shipping with the latest components, like the kernel + AMD GPU firmware, Mesa, Wayland, etc... Hopefully though, 18.04 will be in better shape.

Comment

File bugs. It much be your device is reporting itself somehow wrong and there needs to be a device-specific workaround

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

File bugs. It much be your device is reporting itself somehow wrong and there needs to be a device-specific workaround
              It's not just me, I remember Brisse was reporting the same exact issues as me back in September when Michael wrote the article:

Brisse, are you still having those issues?

Comment

It's not just me, I remember Brisse was reporting the same exact issues as me back in September when Michael wrote the article:

Brisse, are you still having those issues?
                Yes, I've been running Wayland a lot but the issues are still present. I think a big part of it is that GNOME's Wayland compositor is locked to 60fps (confirmed by a dev who said it is not trivial to fix), while my monitor is running 120hz. And also, this issue which is well known by now: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=745032

I recently switched OpenGL composition on in Firefox 57 (it's off by default) and that made scrolling web pages ultra smooth when running Xorg, but on Wayland it's still very jittery.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Yes, I've been running Wayland a lot but the issues are still present. I think a big part of it is that GNOME's Wayland compositor is locked to 60fps (confirmed by a dev who said it is not trivial to fix), while my monitor is running 120hz. And also, this issue which is well known by now: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=745032

I recently switched OpenGL composition on in Firefox 57 (it's off by default) and that made scrolling web pages ultra smooth when running Xorg, but on Wayland it's still very jittery.
                  Ahh, good to know. Thanks man! I'll definitely stick with Xorg for now. I'm in no rush. Appreciate the Firefox hot tip as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    Aren't bleeding edge distros like arch or fedora using it by default already? Only the more conservative ones still offer X only? At least my arch laptop always runs gnome wayland if I don't force it not do do so ... Rest of my env is nixos so I cannot tell
                    Bleeding edge distros, on a single Desktop Environment, with open source drivers only.
                    We're talking about a fraction of the Linux userbase...

Don't get me wrong. It's great news. I can't wait for it to take over. But it's not there, yet. IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X