No announcement yet.

DRM/FreeDesktop Code of Conduct Submitted To Linux 4.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy shit, what the hell is wrong with you people?

Linus accepted the pull request without any objection or discussion. The matter is done! Despite the insistence that he is the one whose style of governance stands to be hurt the most by it, he just did it without having to make a fuss. Now why do you think that is? Maybe it's because the presence of this code of conduct is not the threat that many of you are making it out to be? Yes, Linus is abrasive. He is very abrasive. But there's one thing in common in almost all of his rants: he rants about what you have done, not about you. He is angry because you have submitted work far below the standard of what he expects of you and what he knows that you are capable of. He is secure enough in his intentions that a Code of Conduct like this is absolutely no threat to him or his style of governance, whatsoever.

Meanwhile, a whole lot of you are making it clear through the way you're treating each other here that you just want carte blanche to be an asshole for no good reason without any repercussions. You just want to be shitty to each other and have the ability to bask in that shittiness. Like the blatant ad hominem bullshit directly above this post. Why is being mean so important to you people? Seriously, what the holy hell is wrong with you people?

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

From that quote of yours:

When Rob joined this discussion, did he state he was representing (as in "currently" and "indefinitely") the project and not simply voicing his own, personal opinion?

That being said, you right-wing snowflakes really need a safe-space, as evidenced in this thread. Does Michael need to come up with a CoC for you?
      I suggest you read what he posted as that answers the question quite easily.

'right-wing' and 'snowflake'? You're mixing your dog whistles, troll.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
        'right-wing' and 'snowflake'? You're mixing your dog whistles, troll.
        I'm not.

The far-right are consistently whiny and easily offended.

Abortion. LGBT rights. Women rights. Atheism. Universal healthcare. A black POTUS. Gun regulation. "PC culture" (the defeat of which they always preach but never actually practice, considering how easily offended they are).

Pick any of these topics (and more) and some Conservative or Libertarian is sure to make a mountain out of that particular molehill.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

I don't know where you learned to read minds so accurately that you can determine people's political beliefs over the internet. You have such insightful suggestions for the man who dedicates his very life to producing this publication and supporting the community around it, after his beautiful wife.

The fact is, you're probably a kid, maybe you played around with hackintoshes for a while, then perhaps tried to write GUIs in Haskell on Ubuntu, for a day you might have tried kernel development. I'll bet sometimes you pretend to be a GTK contributor just so you can get a jab in at them while saying nothing of substance. You'll dispute this claim of course, and you'll construct a narrative which is almost believable just so you can feel you got the upper hand. One thing you won't produce is a genuine identity.

Hey, I know, I was a bit like that when I was 13.

I just want to let you know that we'll be here for you when you're all grown up, and you've deleted all of your embarrassing posts from phoronix.com.

My suggestion: get your head on straight, read from Dostoevsky to Knuth, find something you actually want to change for the better instead of just being a lonely bitter soul who is constantly vying for people's approval, and hoping somebody will forgive them for being too white or too rich or too law-abiding.
          Missed by only 15 years (plus, I'm actually a Firefox contributor. Never touched GTK outside of using it as a consumer. I did, however, play around with "Hackintoshes". Back when they were still known as Apple clones)...

Listen. I'm just freaking sick of all the whiny BS on the internet. Particularly, people feeling offended by someone who told them they can't/shouldn't offend others.
          So excuse me if that makes me rant in a (what you appear to consider) infantile manner, from time to time. I'm merely a product of my environment.

Comment

Missed by only 15 years (plus, I'm actually a Firefox contributor. Never touched GTK outside of using it as a consumer. I did, however, play around with "Hackintoshes". Back when they were still known as Apple clones)...

Listen. I'm just freaking sick of all the whiny BS on the internet. Particularly, people feeling offended by someone who told them they can't/shouldn't offend others.
            So excuse me if that makes me rant in a (what you appear to consider) infantile manner, from time to time. I'm merely a product of my environment.
            GTK+ user/contributor here.
            Sometimes (quite often, lately) I get incredibly envious looking at the Qt people and their platform.

One thing they got right and that GTK got horribly wrong is API design and its documentation.

Everyone and their dog are writing Wayland compositors with Qt. Try finding even a simple tutorial video on writing a compositor with GTK and you're mostly out of luck.

QML is also, quite frankly, superior technology.
            hmmm...

And I get it, there's a lot of kicking and screaming going on, but try to understand why somebody not that unlike you might be complaining.
            Last edited by microcode; 09 May 2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

hmmm...

And I get it, there's a lot of kicking and screaming going on, but try to understand why somebody not that unlike you might be complaining.
              You got me. Had a blonde moment there.
              Somehow GTK got translated to "Qt" in my head, when you brought that one up.

As for the original topic:
              I'd honestly just prefer people focused on the bloody code and didn't spend that much time turning a simple change in documentation (which is all a Code of Conduct really is) into an internet civil war.

Comment

You got me. Had a blonde moment there.
                Somehow GTK got translated to "Qt" in my head, when you brought that one up.

As for the original topic:
                I'd honestly just prefer people focused on the bloody code and didn't spend that much time turning a simple change in documentation (which is all a Code of Conduct really is) into an internet civil war.
                I know it seems simple to you right now, but you'll see the larger picture in a couple years. Although some of the responses you'll get will seem paranoid, these people aren't just trying to take out their insecurities on minorities; there is a broader theme here.

Anyway, there's no way I can convince people against something like this in a matter of days, just through over the Phoronix forums. Giving some people a heads-up is probably the best that can be done, given the timing.

Comment

Working...
                X