No announcement yet.

DRM/FreeDesktop Code of Conduct Submitted To Linux 4.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XYZQ has as used inflammatory, divisive language in a public manner. This action is terribly unprofessional.
    Originally posted by willmore View Post
    Not happy with that? Then fix the CoC. This is just an example of of how vague and poorly thought out and worded guidelines pose a threat to what might otherwise be considered acceptable behavior.
    Feminism, PC madness, SJWs, CoC just way to complicated to contribute. Better no to contribute at all, so no one will ever feel offended.
    After all, it's not worth the effort and the work done.
    Or better start from Zero.

The World is multipolar and doesn't spin around PC countries and their SJWs fanatics.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      So you advocate against liking something based on "lesser of two evils" thinking, using the U.S. presidential election as an example, and then you try and put someone down for voting for a third party. That's some interesting logic there...
      His reasoning wasn't one of "lesser of two evils", it was just going for one thing because you don't like another. The whole "no good options" part that's an integral part of that line of reasoning was missing.

There's a difference between choosing the greater evil because you don't like the lesser and choosing the lesser because it's the lesser of two evils. Not voting or voting for third party candidates, which I'd argue were equally poor, was essentially letting people go ahead and elect the greater of two evils.
      Last edited by L_A_G; 07 May 2017, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        You cannot be calling yourself "a real man" (woman/wombat/whatever) if you can't bear a simple code of conduct like that.

And the code of conduct needs to be stated somehwere that provides proof of it being accepted by Torvalds, or it loses all its significance.
        You see, you're already resorting to personal attacks. If this Code of Conduct applied here, you would clearly be in violation.

Ditto for the previous "peanut gallery" comments made by Rob. I fully support your right to say what you will, I reserve the right not to agree. I'm secure in my manhood, and I agree that Phoronix is a "peanut gallery", but I don't think that's such a bad thing.

If you resort to petty attacks against my identity while discussing the code of conduct itself, imagine how quickly you'll get caught up in it when you have a disagreement about something else, and it's not fresh on your mind.

I would say that it's a good idea to get one's house in order before one thinks about telling others what to do.
        Last edited by microcode; 06 May 2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Best Q:
          So, the code of conduct has been around for a while, is there any project that has received the incredible talent that was too scared to participate before a CoC was in place?
          I mean, that was their selling point, and I'm unaware of any evidence that it materialized. Where is the army of Trans/LGBT/SJW coders that was waiting in the wings?
          Best A:
          Quite the opposite. The only effect is that conferences that are too white and male get boycotted, and those that truly adopt a blinded selection process get targeted for inviting wrongthinkers with ideas too outside the mainstream (lambdaconf). They make it clear they themselves don't even believe in the ability of a CoC to make conferences safer and more inviting.
          Short A:The final blow to a Linux Desktop already in clinical death.

Comment

This board has totally gone down the gutter.
            A whole lot of uninformed morons (who I doubt have ever contributed anything worthwhile to the community) like L_A_G crying wolf every chance they get.

Believe it or not. We're not freaking targeting your ilk. Most of us don't give a shit if you're bigoted, racist, hate women or brown people.
            We aren't going to call in the "thought police" or punish you for "doublespeak" (which, ironically, is slowly becoming a thing under the Trump administration and other far-right countries like Russia).

We do, however, reserve the right to not associate with your kind.

You know. Freedom of Association is actually a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
              As for this change, though, I don't see why a code of conduct belongs inside the repository. If you want to put this code of conduct on the mailinglist, send it to people who seem to be violating it, otherwise what's the point of having a file somewhere on the filesystem?
              Think about what you're saying here. Take all the time you need...

Apply your thoughts to other fields of endeavour, such as:

"I don't see why laws need to be written down and publicised openly. If you want people to follow the law, just send it to the people violating the law. Otherwise, what's the point of having a common set of laws?"

Yes. That's how retarded you sound.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
                Like it or not, using the term 'peanut gallery' is insulting and pejorative. Not happy with that? Then fix the CoC. This is just an example of of how vague and poorly thought out and worded guidelines pose a threat to what might otherwise be considered acceptable behavior.
                From that quote of yours:

when an individual is representing the project or its community.
                When Rob joined this discussion, did he state he was representing (as in "currently" and "indefinitely") the project and not simply voicing his own, personal opinion?

That being said, you right-wing snowflakes really need a safe-space, as evidenced in this thread. Does Michael need to come up with a CoC for you?
                Last edited by unixfan2001; 08 May 2017, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                  A whole lot of uninformed morons (who I doubt have ever contributed anything worthwhile to the community) like L_A_G crying wolf every chance they get.
                  If you really didn't care about going after people for disagreeing with you, then why do you support CoCs which are the functional equivalent to the patriot act with sections specifically written such that they can be used just for that? What's wrong with much less overreaching and clear cut ones like the one Ruby has?

Not everyone who is against patriot act style CoCs is against them per say, we just don't want vague or overreaching ones like this.

Then again I probably am wasting my time even replying to you when your world view is so stuck in black and white that you label everyone who doesn't like overreaching and vague CoCs as "right wing snowflakes" even when they present alternatives without openings and calls for the abuse you claim you don't care about. If you actually knew me, you wouldn't be calling me "right wing" but I guess it's not like you'd even want to learn to know someone who supports freedom of speech even for people they disagree with.

Comment

Think about what you're saying here. Take all the time you need...

Apply your thoughts to other fields of endeavour, such as:

"I don't see why laws need to be written down and publicised openly. If you want people to follow the law, just send it to the people violating the law. Otherwise, what's the point of having a common set of laws?"

Yes. That's how retarded you sound.
                    Listen to what you are saying for a moment, and tell me I'm crazy to think that you shouldn't be banished from a community for saying what you just said.

You, Rob, and starshipeleven would all be permanently silenced for things you've just said in the process of debating the code itself. I think people are more than the sum of their faults. Somebody who has an outburst, or airs an ugly opinion, or tries to hurt with words, is not a lost cause.

P.S. The law is different, in that it tends to protect people from actions, not words. The things mentioned in this Code of Conduct are not on the scale of criminal acts, and the standard of proof is vague. I wouldn't go comparing this to the law.
                    Last edited by microcode; 08 May 2017, 06:30 AM.

Comment

From that quote of yours:

When Rob joined this discussion, did he state he was representing (as in "currently" and "indefinitely") the project and not simply voicing his own, personal opinion?

That being said, you right-wing snowflakes really need a safe-space, as evidenced in this thread. Does Michael need to come up with a CoC for you?
                      I don't know where you learned to read minds so accurately that you can determine people's political beliefs over the internet. You have such insightful suggestions for the man who dedicates his very life to producing this publication and supporting the community around it, after his beautiful wife.

The fact is, you're probably a kid, maybe you played around with hackintoshes for a while, then perhaps tried to write GUIs in Haskell on Ubuntu, for a day you might have tried kernel development. I'll bet sometimes you pretend to be a GTK contributor just so you can get a jab in at them while saying nothing of substance. You'll dispute this claim of course, and you'll construct a narrative which is almost believable just so you can feel you got the upper hand. One thing you won't produce is a genuine identity.

Hey, I know, I was a bit like that when I was 13.

I just want to let you know that we'll be here for you when you're all grown up, and you've deleted all of your embarrassing posts from phoronix.com.

My suggestion: get your head on straight, read from Dostoevsky to Knuth, find something you actually want to change for the better instead of just being a lonely bitter soul who is constantly vying for people's approval, and hoping somebody will forgive them for being too white or too rich or too law-abiding.

Comment

Working...
                      X