Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's time to bring http://www.xouvert.org/ back

Comment

The solution for this problem would be to simply forget about http://www.x.org/ and putting all ressources into http://wayland.freedesktop.org/. Let X.Org die and bring Wayland to life.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
        We have attempted to contact Leon via email, phone, snail mail and even physical contact, but he remains uncooperative, and without his assistance then we cannot modify the domain as he is the sole contact.
        I guess the obvious question is obvious, but - why was a single individual given control of an extremely valuable (monetarily and otherwise) asset of the foundation, and allowed to keep that control when quitting?

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post

I guess the obvious question is obvious, but - why was a single individual given control of an extremely valuable (monetarily and otherwise) asset of the foundation, and allowed to keep that control when quitting?
          Daniel's response makes it sound like he left on bad terms, and can be assumed to be operating in bad faith refusing to let them have their domain name back.

Comment

Originally posted by Thpn View Post
            This is one more reason to use Gandi for domain registrations. From their recent email notifying me to renew one of my domains:

A tip from Gandi's Support team: if you are in an emergency situation and you have forgotten your handle and/or password, you can renew a domain name from any other Gandi handle, or create a new one just for that purpose:

Create your Gandi account. No entry or hidden fees, it’s fast and easy.

(Note that renewing a domain from a different handle does not affect the domain's ownership.)

Hi I'm a random person on the iternet. I had an account with you for several years but forgot my account's username and password. Yeah, can you just give me this domain name? Oh and while were at it can you just redirect everything to my Christmas Island domain, goatse? That would be great.

Comment

From a European perspective I find it ridiculous that we're still talking about "expiring domains" in 2016. From my point of view this has a lot to do with the hilarious state of the US (private) banking system. For example in Germany it is common to allow your registrar to deduct the money automatically from your bank account. That way a domain will never expire as long as you have enough funds on your account. That resolves a lot of problems with forgotten payments etc.

(The system is pretty robust with respect to fraud btw: You can always issue a charge-back within seconds - no questions asked. And - which I think is the important aspect with respect to fraud - the other party as to pay some fee for the charge-back AND of course they maybe charged for fraud if necessary. Also only special bank accounts (usually only for businesses) are allowed to deduct money from other accounts. Banks verify the identity of the account holder so usually it's simple to file a fraud charge if it is really necessary.

The banking infrastructure in Germany/Europe is so much more advanced that it's not even funny. It's like Silicon Valley vs. some 3-world country in tech.)

Granted, in this case it might not have helped if the linked bank account/credit card is not valid anymore or if the holder is not willing to pay but that should be the exception.

Comment

Originally posted by schwarzman View Post
                The banking infrastructure in Germany/Europe is so much more advanced that it's not even funny. It's like Silicon Valley vs. some 3-world country in tech.)
                There are many times when trying to call into a meeting while driving to work that I wish we had a third world cell phone system. Ours seem to be much less robust
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by schwarzman View Post
                  From a European perspective I find it ridiculous that we're still talking about "expiring domains" in 2016. From my point of view this has a lot to do with the hilarious state of the US (private) banking system. For example in Germany it is common to allow your registrar to deduct the money automatically from your bank account. That way a domain will never expire as long as you have enough funds on your account. That resolves a lot of problems with forgotten payments etc.

(The system is pretty robust with respect to fraud btw: You can always issue a charge-back within seconds - no questions asked. And - which I think is the important aspect with respect to fraud - the other party as to pay some fee for the charge-back AND of course they maybe charged for fraud if necessary. Also only special bank accounts (usually only for businesses) are allowed to deduct money from other accounts. Banks verify the identity of the account holder so usually it's simple to file a fraud charge if it is really necessary.

Granted, in this case it might not have helped if the linked bank account/credit card is not valid anymore or if the holder is not willing to pay but that should be the exception.
                  US registrars support automated renewal from checking/credit card accounts too.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
                    I'm happy with that, let this dinosaur buggy stuff die, it's a good thing
                    Tell us how it is that X ruins all your days, won't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      Daniel's response makes it sound like he left on bad terms, and can be assumed to be operating in bad faith refusing to let them have their domain name back.
                      I don't think he's acting in bad faith; it's just that it can be very difficult to get in contact with someone nine years later.

Comment

Working...
                      X