No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.18 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, this "proprietary windows shit" works fine under most regular conditions. Particularly where the community drivers still fall short (gaming).
    Of course the whole driver model ought to change. Ideally, there would be one common driver base for all three vendors, maintained by an independent party. Kind of like what Apple does with Mac OS X.

Comment

So, as of now Xorg 1.18 is in Arch testing, and the nVidia driver is not out yet...

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
        I saw x.org version 1.17.99 (or 1.17.90, don't remeber) after F23 installation, and this means a development version of x.org, and this means you shipped a (6 month) distro release with a development version of the server X.
        You simply have no idea what you're talking about.
        So, with the assumption that you're simply wrong / misinformed and no yet-another-6-y/o-troll, here are the facts.
        Do me, and mostly yourself a favour of reading me comment with care before you post yet-another-random-barrage-of-nonsense.

1. Fedora is an open source OS that targets open source users (and that includes but not limited to users who use open source drivers).
        Having support for proprietary software is nice, but not required.

2. Fedora developers decided to ship X.org late RC release of X.org 1.18 because:
        2a. It brought about huge gains for the open source users (see 1).
        2b. X.org 1.18 was supposed to be releases mere weeks after Fedora 23 GA.
        2c. X.org 1.18 will be released as an update for Fedora 23 soon after the release.

3. nVidia usually releases drivers once the X.org ABI is locked. This time they are late to the party. Shit happens.

Now, before you start running in circles.
        1. I'm typing this post on Fedora 23 workstation that uses X.org 1.17 from Fedora 22, waiting for nVidia to release X.org 1.18 compatible drivers.
        2. I have a fairly large (>40 machines) network of Fedora servers and workstations. For now, I decided to upgrade all the servers and non-nVidia systems to F23, leaving only nVidia based workstations and laptop at F22.

In short, either you wait w/ F22 until nVidia releases 1.18 capable drivers, or use F23 w/ F22 X.org *. Make bold and unfounded accusation just makes you look stupid.

- Gilboa
        * Can be done with a *single* dnf command.

oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

New long-lived branch driver for Nvidia (352.63)

Release Highlights:
          - Added support for X.Org xserver ABI 20 (xorg-server 1.18).

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post

You simply have no idea what you're talking about.
            So, with the assumption that you're simply wrong / misinformed and no yet-another-6-y/o-troll, here are the facts.
            Do me, and mostly yourself a favour of reading me comment with care before you post yet-another-random-barrage-of-nonsense.
            Just shut up.
            1. Fedora is an open source OS that targets open source users (and that includes but not limited to users who use open source drivers).
            Having support for proprietary software is nice, but not required.
            This should not stop you to use the brain: during the upgrade to F23 you must remove the binary driver in favor of the open one (it is just a single command by DNF) because you know very well that the upgrade will fail miserably and you will leave the user in front of a black screen.
            Not always is the normal user who installed fedora on a pc, could be the cousin, or a friend, or the user by itself following a guide on iternet but without enough experience to recovery the system due to a video driver incompatibility.
            So your work, as a distro, is to be sure that the upgrade will complete without problems. So leave the binary driver, as if you don't know what will happen after the upgrade, is merely stupid.
            2. Fedora developers decided to ship X.org late RC release of X.org 1.18 because:
            2a. It brought about huge gains for the open source users (see 1).
            2b. X.org 1.18 was supposed to be releases mere weeks after Fedora 23 GA.
            2c. X.org 1.18 will be released as an update for Fedora 23 soon after the release.
            2 = development version. Otherwise the "cadidate" word would be misplaced, isn't it?
            2a = yeah, the new versions are usually developed to gains something, thank you for the info.
            2b, 2c = supposed to be released? If Fedora was in charge to manage the x 1.18 release, then what do you mean with supposed? And the difference was merely a week, this sound like a schedule fail. Stop to find excuses.
            3. nVidia usually releases drivers once the X.org ABI is locked. This time they are late to the party. Shit happens.
            Don't worry, shit happens every time, like for F21 to F22. The previous ones was because the rpmfusion was not updated in time. It is changed only the reason, not the result.
            Now, before you start running in circles.
            1. I'm typing this post on Fedora 23 workstation that uses X.org 1.17 from Fedora 22, waiting for nVidia to release X.org 1.18 compatible drivers.
            2. I have a fairly large (>40 machines) network of Fedora servers and workstations. For now, I decided to upgrade all the servers and non-nVidia systems to F23, leaving only nVidia based workstations and laptop at F22.
            Who cares?
            Or do you mean that all the fedora users should be sys admin to work around the fedora brilliant release strategy?
            Other than that, why you have installed the binary blog in the "open source driver only" Fedora world?
            Probably because the nouveau driver is far to be in good shape and my 2 weeks with the open driver prove it, indeed: continuous freeze (and relative hard reboot). Now my pc work perfectly without any freeze starting from the blob installation time, strange isn't it? Must be a coincidence for sure.
            In short, either you wait w/ F22 until nVidia releases 1.18 capable drivers, or use F23 w/ F22 X.org *. Make bold and unfounded accusation just makes you look stupid.

- Gilboa
            * Can be done with a *single* dnf command.
            In short, who have more common sense and knowledge should operate using them: the next upgrade, the fedora process should take care to recognize the use of binary blob and remove it in favore of the open drive, in order to assure a properly upgrade. After the user is successfully logged in the new version, it will be his/her problem to reinstall the blob if needed.
            The gain are multiple:
            1) the upgrade works and fedora will not be blamed
            2) the user can navigate the web to find a solution or a reason why the blob are not ready yet, instead of looking a blank screen
            3) if the user install the blob nevertheless, then the fault to have broken the pc is to him/her, not to fedora through the upgrade process.
            You are the dev, you are the expert. You should operate to help the users even from themselves, because you have the knowledge to do that (especially in this case).

Comment

I'll ignore the first part as childish personal insults are not my thing.

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
              In short, who have more common sense and knowledge should operate using them: the next upgrade, the fedora process should take care to recognize the use of binary blob and remove it in favore of the open drive, in order to assure a properly upgrade. After the user is successfully logged in the new version, it will be his/her problem to reinstall the blob if needed.
              The gain are multiple:
              1) the upgrade works and fedora will not be blamed
              2) the user can navigate the web to find a solution or a reason why the blob are not ready yet, instead of looking a blank screen
              3) if the user install the blob nevertheless, then the fault to have broken the pc is to him/her, not to fedora through the upgrade process.
              You are the dev, you are the expert. You should operate to help the users even from themselves, because you have the knowledge to do that (especially in this case).
              For the 1000'th time.
              The nVidia drivers are not a part of the Fedora distribution, nor will they ever be, nor will it ever be supported in any way by the Fedora development team.
              In-order to use the nVidia drivers, a user must either install the drivers manually, or use 3'rd part repository - both of which are unsupported by the Fedora projects.

Asking Fedora to automatically remove or disable user-installed packages / drivers is simply crazy talk.

... Let alone the fact the in the end, Fedora release strategy worked as planned. The problem was solved by nVidia within 3 weeks...

- Gilboa

oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
              X