Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.18 Officially Released

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.18 Officially Released

X.Org Server 1.18 was supposed to be a quick release but ended up being drawn out into a longer release cycle than normal. However, today xorg-server 1.18.0 is now available under the "Moussaka" codename...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ah, new X finally - cool.

Comment

Did NVIDIA 358.09 add 1.18 ABI support? 355.11 didn't have it.

I guess it's time to remove the exclude=xorg-x11-* from my Fedora 23 dnf.conf, added after my previous `dnf --releasever=22 downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg`

Comment

well, the Nvidia blob is certainly not ready yet for 1.18. Fedora 23 shipped with a pre-release of xorg-server 1.18 and the drivers are certainly not compatible yet. Quoting Aaron Plattner of Nvidia:

There is no such thing as xserver 1.18 yet: the latest release is 1.17.99.902, also known as 1.18 release candidate 2. NVIDIA does not support prerelease or release candidate X servers, and it's kind of surprising to me that Fedora would ship an official distribution release with beta software for something as fundamental as the X server.

Support for the X server ABI in the upcoming xserver 1.18 release should be available in the next release of the NVIDIA driver.

So hopefully a new driver will be released soon. Btw, personally I think it was a good move by the fedora ppl using the 1.18 pre-release. It might be a problem for some ppl using the blobs (I do as well - and it's only for a few days) but regarding the open source drivers, it actually gave a noticeable performance boost (at least on my r600 card).

Comment

Well, I guess the exclude stays then, thanks.

Yeah, I have a GTX 980 with a 4K display, and as good as nouveau is, it doesn't quite feel yet like it's quite maximizing the value of my hardware investment.

Comment

AMD : "Fuck!"

Comment

I hope this means also a new xf86-video-ati release. Version 7.5.0 doesn't support DRI3 yet, a feature that seems to work pretty well in the development version.

Comment

Usually that's a good sign a new Catalyst will be released soon - without support for this newest X.Org Server iteration.

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
                  I hope this means also a new xf86-video-ati release. Version 7.5.0 doesn't support DRI3 yet, a feature that seems to work pretty well in the development version.
                  Agree. They should do DDX releases more often.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    Usually that's a good sign a new Catalyst will be released soon - without support for this newest X.Org Server iteration.
                    Exactly

NVIDIA driver does not support prerelases, Catalyst does not support releases but couple distros... while radeon does support releases, but ALL GIT version is better

Comment

Working...
                    X