No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.17 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't use firefox, but a lot of my Kwin issues seem to have been resolved with 1.17.

I am still on the ati ddx, have not tried the new generic one.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
      Is it time to use the new generic ddx instead of the radeon one?
      If so, is it automatic at this point or should we do that in xorg.conf.d?
      I tried it with intel. The setup I needed was: Uninstall xf86-video-intel. Then the modesetting driver gets selected automatically. I don't know if for radeon this is the case too, but I don't see why not.

For intel: Rendering looks good, didn't notice any bugs. Maybe there is an incredibly small performance hit (I only tried kwin with opengl compositing + full screen repaint vsync). Can't put my finger on it, but it felt a little bit different. Not really slow though. No major slowdowns in gtkperf, I think it was about 2.3 seconds where with intel + sna I get 2 .06, so really usable already.

But:
      * Playing videos in mpv eats a lot of cpu power (didn't investigate what renderer it was and whether other renderers were better).
      * Tearing. Not much, but visible.

It only said dri2 in the Xorg log, but I could use DRI_PRIME=1 without any setup. Either they have implemented some magic to get PRIME working with dri2 without xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink or it lied and actually used dri3.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
        I tried it with intel. The setup I needed was: Uninstall xf86-video-intel. Then the modesetting driver gets selected automatically. I don't know if for radeon this is the case too, but I don't see why not.

For intel: Rendering looks good, didn't notice any bugs. Maybe there is an incredibly small performance hit (I only tried kwin with opengl compositing + full screen repaint vsync). Can't put my finger on it, but it felt a little bit different. Not really slow though. No major slowdowns in gtkperf, I think it was about 2.3 seconds where with intel + sna I get 2 .06, so really usable already.

But:
        * Playing videos in mpv eats a lot of cpu power (didn't investigate what renderer it was and whether other renderers were better).
        * Tearing. Not much, but visible.

It only said dri2 in the Xorg log, but I could use DRI_PRIME=1 without any setup. Either they have implemented some magic to get PRIME working with dri2 without xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink or it lied and actually used dri3.
        Just followed your example and I'm on modesetting as well!
        I don't see dri3 in xorg.log either... not sure how to set it up.

For your issues, maybe before you were not using glamor and now you are?

Comment

Working...
        X