No announcement yet.

Kernel-Based X11 Server Claims 2x Performance Over X.Org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On subject - its proprietary commercial closed source. No thanks, I won't support you guys! :/

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
      I'm sure we'll hear about all the downsides of such a thing in this thread. But for a hard core gamer, an X server that provides this much of a performance win would be worth it.
      for a gamer this won't matter at all!

Comment

Can this thing actually work with X.Org drivers? Everybody in this thread seems to assume it, but it wasn't stated. So, can you run AMD Catalyst, NVidia's driver, or the OSS drivers with it?

Comment

I used to make fun of Windows because they run their GUI stuffs in the kernel.

Comment

I wonder how many of the posters saying this is bad for security still use AMD or Nvidia blobs.

They are the exact same thing. Huge binary blob inserted to your kernel, fully compromising your system.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              I wonder how many of the posters saying this is bad for security still use AMD or Nvidia blobs.

They are the exact same thing. Huge binary blob inserted to your kernel, fully compromising your system.
              They are not display servers and the company behind MicroXwin is not selling hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
                So kernel developers rant about how difficult is maintain the code due its complexity and here it goes one pal that adds a lot more code.

And what code ...

Even if it's leaner, it stands X, with all that complex architecture and stuff.

Now in kernel ...

Maybe would be usefull in embeded systems. But for desktop and servers ... well.
                Something like this would definitely be great for smartphones and tablets I would say. However such code needs to be very robust as well as having strong error recovery in order to keep the kernel from panicking if this X server module were to fail.

Now what about trying to put Wayland/Weston into the kernel?

Comment

The idea and execution work. Will it ever see wide adoption? Probably not. We are seeing a move to get away from X not embed it into the kernel. I can see where embedded systems would benefit from this, but everyday users won't adopt it. I haven't even looked up licensing costs but I bet you it exceeds a Windows license. At that point I might as well use Windows to save money and have better support for games. Oh heck I looked at the site and it specifically says "X-Windows for Embedded Systems" I don't even see a point in pursuing any benchmarks, we know that embedded is supposed to work faster and leaner.

Comment

I also hope X will be obsoleted by some newer X-like system, but to all of you complaining about licensing, honestly "X" is probably the oldest piece of software still in use today, it was born what... 30 years ago and is a true monstrosity of complexity. But it's license is an MIT license, not GPLv3. So MIT licensed software can also be closed source making this not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavensRevenge View Post
                      But it's license is an MIT license, not GPLv3. So MIT licensed software can also be closed source making this not an issue.
                      Its license will always stay MIT. It can be used in closed-source software, but it will always remain free. This embedded Xserver is closed from the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                      X