Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Picks Up Another Graphics Driver Developer

Phoronix: Red Hat Picks Up Another Graphics Driver Developer

Red Hat has hired another well known name from the open-source Linux graphics driver community...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And that's why I use Fedora. RH contributes upstream to all sorts of OSS, particularly the important ones like this.

Couldn't it even be said that Linux is Red Hat OS? I mean, they've contributed more than anybody else, to more places than anybody else, longer than anybody else, more consistently than anybody else.
    Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 15 February 2013, 09:19 AM.

Comment

hah I'm not sure if he's ever been to MA but I'm sure he isn't going to like our winter months. At least he will have arrived after a pretty annoying blizzard.

Anyways lets hope RH won't put restrictions on him like TI did, linux needs devs like this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        hah I'm not sure if he's ever been to MA but I'm sure he isn't going to like our winter months. At least he will have arrived after a pretty annoying blizzard.

Anyways lets hope RH won't put restrictions on him like TI did, linux needs devs like this guy.
        I doubt that RH will place additional restrictions on what projects Rob will/won't be allowed to work on. The nasty thing is that the NDAs that Rob signed at TI will still mostly likely be in effect, so he still won't be able to work on PowerVR hardware drivers, at least for chips/models that he viewed documentation on. I would expect that Rob will continue working on mobile graphics driver engineering, and if he ever feels so inclined maybe he'll check out the desktop world... but that's all just a guess.

Very off-topic:
        if Boston (also: Cambridge, Somerville, Belmont I'm looking at you) ever learned how to handle proper snow removal in the winters, traffic after snowstorms would be much better. I'm not speaking about the storm that just came through, just in general. I lived in Somerville for a couple winters, Belmont a few more, and worked in Cambridge the whole time. In all cases, by the end of winter the residential streets were almost impassable.... Introduce some proper even/odd parking restrictions so that the plows can actually get to every part of each street, and things would've been much better.

I say this having grown up in Wisconsin and lived in the Boston area for about 4 years while getting my master's. Every time I called my parents their weather was consistently 5-10 degrees (F) colder, and any time of rain/snow generally showed up in both places about 1.5-2 days apart. The big difference being that Boston had a higher chance of the snow turning into rain in the winter.... which still isn't pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
          Couldn't it even be said that Linux is Red Hat OS? I mean, they've contributed more than anybody else, to more places than anybody else, longer than anybody else, more consistently than anybody else.
          Well, I recently switched to Arch and setup systemd, NetworkManager, PulseAudio, system-config-printer, as well as numerous other projects Red Hat has touched or otherwise been directly involved in. So one definitely does not need to run a Red Hat distribution to feel their effect on our ecosystem.

I wish Arch packaged more of the SystemConfig suite though:
          Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 15 February 2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            Well, I ... setup systemd, NetworkManager, PulseAudio, system-config-printer,
            It's like you like to be punished.. :P

Comment

I was thinking something very much the same... "This guy must like hot iron pokers"

Comment

Well, I recently switched to Arch and setup systemd, NetworkManager, PulseAudio, system-config-printer, as well as numerous other projects Red Hat has touched or otherwise been directly involved in. So one definitely does not need to run a Red Hat distribution to feel their effect on our ecosystem.

I wish Arch packaged more of the SystemConfig suite though:
                http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SystemConfig
                I've got the exact same setup and everything works perfectly. The only issue I have is NetworkManager and either my wireless card/router dont play nice (occasional silent disconnects).

So, no, we dont "like to be punished," we dont "like hot pokers," just because you two dont like the software or its ideas/design doesn't make it bad software.

And if either one of you goes and jumps at "PulseAudio has lag! It broke my sound setup 3 years ago!" then you guys are idiots. Software has bugs. Live with it. Bugs get fixed, software improves. I haven't had a single issue with Pulse in about 2 years now,.

Yes, Pulse has some lag if you're trying to get under 10ms latency, but its not designed for the pro users who want under 10ms latency. You want pro-level audio? Try JACK or JACK2, thats software for you guys. Pulse is the solution for the 'usual' use cases. (last I checked dmix-- which was about a year ago-- is still a mess if you want headphone support and you still cant move streams between audio outputs which is important if you have a home theater setup like I do)

Systemd? No problems since early Fedora 17.

Networkmanager? Aside from the problem above, it works perfectly.

System-config-printer? Meh, I prefer the KDE KCM for printing but to each their own.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Actually, everything is running smooth as silk thank you very much, just as I expected it to. I really do not get the knee jerk "Learnet Pottering is bad crowd". systemd is a real blessing when you have to manually manage services the way you do with Arch and PulseAudio and pavucontrol are a real blessing when handling the volume of multiple applications or if you are using a headset.

Moving on, I also honestly do not get why anyone could hate on NetworkManger if you want a dynamic and responsive interface to handle such things. When it comes to SystemConfig though it is mostly that I am used to it after using Fedora for six years, but it does generally work and my printer works with it perfectly. The main thing I am missing on Arch is system-config-firewall.

Speaking of which, if there is one thing that is not working perfectly, it is iptables:
                  [root@Griffindor ~]# systemctl start iptables
                  Job for iptables.service failed. See 'systemctl status iptables.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
                  [root@Griffindor ~]# systemctl status iptables.service
                  iptables.service - Packet Filtering Framework
                  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/iptables.service; disabled)
                  Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2013-02-16 12:04:53 MST; 14s ago
                  Process: 22904 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/iptables-restore /etc/iptables/iptables.rules (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Feb 16 12:04:53 Griffindor systemd[1]: Starting Packet Filtering Framework...
                  Feb 16 12:04:53 Griffindor systemd[1]: iptables.service: main process exite...RE
                  Feb 16 12:04:53 Griffindor systemd[1]: Failed to start Packet Filtering Fra...k.
                  Feb 16 12:04:53 Griffindor systemd[1]: Unit iptables.service entered failed...te
                  Feb 16 12:04:53 Griffindor iptables-restore[22904]: Can't open /etc/iptables/...
                  [root@Griffindor ~]#
                  So if you actually want to be helpful and stop shooting your mouths off you can actually help me figure that one out.
                  Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 16 February 2013, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Speaking of which, if there is one thing that is not working perfectly, it is iptables:

So if you actually want to be helpful and stop shooting your mouths off you can actually help me figure that one out.

In order do:

Code:
                    cd /etc/iptables/

su

iptables-save > iptables.rules

systemctl start iptables

systemctl status iptables
                    (sudo wont work. Have to be real root to use iptables-save)

It work now?

I didnt have iptables set up on my laptop so I took 5minutes or so to try to get it working--failed at first like yours too. journalctl -xn showed iptables.service complaining that it couldnt find /etc/iptables/iptables.rules, quick check of the arch wiki showed this section: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...iguration_file little fooling around with it, and i got it working.

How about you?

EDIT: as far as system-config-firewall, if you are using KDE then there is a great plugin for System Settings to use UFW. Otherwise...not sure honestly. I only use UFW and I pretty much only use KDE these days (some E17 thrown in, but hten I just use the GTK client for UFW lol)

EDIT 2: Congrats on becoming the reincarnate of the Devil, Hamish! (Your post count is 666 right now lol XD)
                    Last edited by Ericg; 16 February 2013, 04:02 PM.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X