Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First DRM Pull Request For Linux 2.6.35 Kernel

Phoronix: The First DRM Pull Request For Linux 2.6.35 Kernel

The Linux 2.6.34 kernel was released only three days ago, but David Airlie has emailed Linus Torvalds and the Linux Kernel Mailing List with the first DRM pull request for the Linux 2.6.35 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

why losing time working on AGP support, while AGP has been deprecated for so many years now?
    Not a lot of people still have AGP card, and if they have, it's for running servers that just need to display console/TTY. So no need for a particular power from gfx.

Can someone explain that to me?

Comment

because there still r300 users with no updated fglrx. Those are wishing for fast OS drivers, and ATI seems determined to provide.

AGP cards aren't only found in servers, but also in older notebooks or even desktops in situations where money is lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
        why losing time working on AGP support, while AGP has been deprecated for so many years now?
        Not a lot of people still have AGP card, and if they have, it's for running servers that just need to display console/TTY. So no need for a particular power from gfx.

Well, a lot of R300-R500 cards are AGP, mine too. And my Radeon 9500 is on my main desktop!

Comment

Can we get some HW video decode love?

Comment

I have a SparcStation 5 here... better SBUS support would be welcomed mesa 7.4 crashes the X server though admittedly it might work better with Xorg instead of Xsun...

All semi joking aside AGP is dead but that doesn't mean support should be killed off to when there is no real reason to do so I have 2 Nvidia Geforce MX 400s that run quite fine and even play games (older games actually look better on these).

Comment

Do you have any idea what you just said?

I've been waiting for proper AGP Support (TTM) on my R500 (X1600pro) since 2008!

I hope this pull do the trick.

There are lots of AGP cards out there!

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Do you have any idea what you just said?

I've been waiting for proper AGP Support (TTM) on my R500 (X1600pro) since 2008!

I hope this pull do the trick.

There are lots of AGP cards out there!

Sure. And you are free to add support for it. But when AMD employees spend a disproportionate amount of time on AGP and other legacy support I find this quite problematic. An hour spent on legacy support is an hour not spent on support for more recent hardware. And this is precisely an area where AMD is lacking.

Comment

Nouveau

The absence of anything relating to Nouveau isn't necessarily a bad thing - it may indicate that the devs are happy with the kernel layer for the moment, and spending all their time on the userspace code. That's the important part, after all - now that modesetting works pretty well, the biggest issues are things like OpenGL, or accelerated video, all userspace...

Comment

Iirc at least (ATi) r600 cards were still sold with AGP. It's deprecated technology, yes, but nowhere near being abandoned by users. I'm unsure if newer chips than r600 were sold on AGP cards too.

Comment

Working...
                    X